3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

48RE No Forward gears, fresh rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE No Forward gears, fresh rebuild

I have a 2004 dodge 2500 quad cab short bed with the 48re transmission. the transmission was just rebuilt with a Alto Red Eagle kit. all new clutches, and all that good stuff. Goerend billet input, trans pan, torque converter, and flex plate. GM solenoid upgrades. i did notice that the one electrical plug for the valve body (which has a shift kit) had no where to be plugged in.... not sure if this is the problem but i guess it could be. I started the truck and made sure the fluid was full by putting it in every gear for ten seconds, then into neutral to check the level. trans is full of fluid. I have reverse, which is solid. but i have no forward gears.
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 PM

Also i’m 15 years old so and the trans was not rebuilt by me. it was rebuilt by a guy in saint paul minnesota
Old 04-17-2018, 09:09 PM

If there is a plug that is not plugged in, than I'd say that's your problem. I'd Start there
Old 04-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by AidenJ
If there is a plug that is not plugged in, than I'd say that's your problem. I'd Start there
There is no check engine light so it didn't dawn on me that it could be the problem right away. Governor pressure sensor is completely missing, I will have that tomorrow and then report back my findings. Hopefully I don't have to replace the direct clutches
Old 04-20-2018, 08:37 AM

I installed the Governor pressure sensor, and it didn't change anything. I still have no forward gears, only reverse. Could this be an electrical issue? I read on another thread about the TCC (torque converter clutch) solenoid possibly needing to be replaced, but that was just replaced when the trans was rebuilt. Could it be a faulty TCC? I thought if reverse worked, then the TCC should be alright, but I could be wrong. I need help. Anyone around the Northeast Iowa area that knows about transmissions? PM me if you do, I've rebuilt them before but I can't seem to figure this one out. I want to check everything before tearing the trans back out... Also heard about a forward clutch piston lip seal... when I installed the billet input, I suppose I could've nicked that, would that cause no forward gears and only reverse?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:29 PM

I'm not a transmission guy buy any means but I do have the book. Judging by what you've posted, my best guess is the shift linkage or maybe something on the VB.
Attached Thumbnails 48RE No Forward gears, fresh rebuild-no-forward-gears.jpg