Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   How loud will a muffler delete and a cat delete be? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/how-loud-will-muffler-delete-cat-delete-219167/)

RobV2500 10-04-2008 02:51 PM

How loud will a muffler delete and a cat delete be?

i want to get the mbrp cat delete and muffler delete added to my stock exhaust system. my question is will my truck be too loud? like too loud to where its annoying to drive my truck? if so i was thinking about the mbrp 6" resanator....whats your opinions?

txfiremedic 10-04-2008 02:54 PM

I did the muffler delete and left the cat, it sounds good but not too loud.

jrussell 10-04-2008 02:58 PM

No muffler and no cat = straight piped exhaust. It's going to be pretty loud and raspy sounding.

Deleting the muffler and leaving the cat won't be too bad. If it is too loud you can always add a stock Megacab resonator.

wap 10-04-2008 03:17 PM

IMO a stock straight pipe truck is not that loud. UNLESS you add a 6" tip then talk about horribley raspy and obnoxious. I did run that for a while and ditched the tip. A stock turbo keeps the volume resonable but if you add a big turbo like a 66 or bigger it only gets louder.

Leaving the cat in is not loud enough for my taste but it does have a realy nice tone to it.

HecTiK 10-04-2008 03:30 PM

My 99 has a 5in straight pipe, and it'll rumble yer inards if you are outside when I'm gettin on it. Otherwise it sounds just like a semi. I think its quieter than a straight piped v8, but the tone is a lot deeper with the I6

madhat 10-04-2008 04:01 PM

It's pretty loud...

Cut the muff off first, leave the cat. If it's not loud enough, get the cat, too.

SlowSixSpeed 10-04-2008 04:04 PM

Its loud. It get's a loud rasp at 2500 at WOT. Its not loud inside the cab though.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...topspeed-1.jpg

D45 10-04-2008 06:29 PM

I will have my muffler delete pipe installed this week.....

I have an '04 truck, so not catalytic converter.

Right now, it sounds pretty good.

So, I will have a 5" MBRP straight pipe with a 6" tip.

I will you know how it sounds after the delete pipe is installed.

RobV2500 10-04-2008 07:28 PM

thanks for the input. well it doesnt really matter to me how loud it is outside its just inside the cab im worried about. like when im on the phone or talking to someone inside there ya know. so as long as it is quite on the inside it's fine.

rich 10-04-2008 08:04 PM

had my 07 like that with a 6 tip and when i was dragging a trailer the semi's in the opposite side could hear it across a divided hwy in the winter with their windows up. had a lot of comments over the c.b. it wasnt to bad in the cab as long as their was no barrier on the road or trailer

CrooksB 10-04-2008 08:30 PM

I did the muffler delete & left the cat in place. In my opinion, it's loud when you get on it,[laugh] but not bad at all when your just cruising. Needless to say I won't be putting the muffler back on!:cool:

DG527 10-04-2008 08:30 PM

I installed a 5" turbo back system today. I was skeptical about the sound especially without a cat or resonator. I was surprised and happy to hear no noticeable difference inside the cab and a nice big rig sound outside. I had a stock 4" with a Magnaflow muffler. You might consider a 5" system. I know I won't yield any performance gains, but the sound and certainly the price made it too hard to pass up.

DiezelSmoke 10-04-2008 08:48 PM

I did mine, both the muffler and cat and talk on my phone all the time. I believe the drone is caused from a solid pipe from front to back, I installed a foot long flex pipe. I say this cause a friend of mine had a droning problem and he put a short piece of flex pipe in and no more droan.
Oh I forgot to mention it sounds cool.......real cool.

rootercycles 10-05-2008 10:59 AM

I have a muffler and cat delete kit on my '06. It sounds awesome! It isn't too loud in the cab and I also removed the silencer plate in the turbo. The louder the better!

mstordahl 10-05-2008 11:41 AM

I also deleted just the muffler and left the cat on my '06. I also made a 5"x26" tip for the exhaust which I think made a big difference on sound level and tone. Mine is nice and deep, no drone and no raspiness like some of the other common rails that I have heard. Id go for it. Like others have said, try the muffler delete first, if you want more send the kitty packin. JMO.