3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How do ya get black smoke??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do ya get black smoke??

04 dodge with upgrades listed in my signature,

---I am wondering how you guy's are getting all this black smoke? Is it because you have standard trans.? I have an auto, and can only get it to smoke when I put it on 6gun and punch it while rolling around 40mph, then it will throw a lil smoke, but how are you guys getting so much?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:33 PM

Black billowing smoke is generally delivered at low/no boost. If you have the stock turbo which has minimal lag you will get less off boost smoke.

We are running a TST and it has the ability to produce tons of fuel and smoke. Often even with boost.

J
Old 08-24-2005, 03:35 PM

tst

Is TST a different power programmer, or is it something I can run with my Banks? by the way does my banks really put out 126hp, it doesnt feel like it?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:37 PM

The TST is different, it is rated @ 190 hp overstock (with a clutch/tranny upgrade and pusher pump) I think the sixgun is overrated if I remember hearing correctly, I think I heard it dyno'ed close to 90-100 hp.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:39 PM
tcr

Bosshogg, w/ my mods 362hp/721ft lbs. I do not have the boost elbow and I dont know that I need it. I see 27-28 psi as it is. I think you may want a duration box w/ your banks, I'm not sure, maybe some of these pros can help me out here. I do know that banks will have a new program out very soon for those of us w/ six-guns. I also think you can stack the BDDL w/ the banks, but run the banks no higher then 4. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm looking for a tranny guy in central TX right now before any more fuel mods.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:58 PM

Put the banks system on ebay....and order the BullyDog Tridog Downloader, (or Crazy larry Power Pup) and your curiousity of smoke is fixed!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:06 PM

My Quad Race Box smokes pretty good on the 130HP. Its all about delivering more fuel than can be burned efficiently. Your best chances to get it is during low boost. Some boxes produce more smoke than others. For example, Quad's Xzillaraider boxes are intentionally programmed to produce as little smoke as possible, because black smoke = unburnt fuel == wasted fuel
Old 08-24-2005, 10:31 PM

I know Im gonna catch He*L for what I'm gonna say..... But I dont get this whole Huge black smoke cloud thing One minute everybody is complaining on how the Fuel prices are sky high, the next minute everybody wants to push their foot to the floor, wasting the same fuel the just complained about paying for, just to see a cloud of black smoke. Black smoke is just wasted fuel, un-used power, and a pollutant.

I dont know, maybe the chemical count of blood to diesel in my veins still has to rise a bit, but this whole black smoke thing to me is just as "cool" as the ricers putting the fart in a can Maxwell House coffee can muffler on their car, and them saying, man, doesn't that sound good.

Ok, lemme put on my protective gear, and let the Hazing begin...
Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 PM

i get a good little bit of black smoke with my edge, i would think with a banks six gun and speed loader you would see some black smoke under hard acceleration.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:43 PM

if you were seriously concerned about fuel prices you would be ridding a bike everywhere..............."smoke em if you got em"
Old 08-24-2005, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
I know Im gonna catch He*L for what I'm gonna say..... But I dont get this whole Huge black smoke cloud thing One minute everybody is complaining on how the Fuel prices are sky high, the next minute everybody wants to push their foot to the floor, wasting the same fuel the just complained about paying for, just to see a cloud of black smoke. Black smoke is just wasted fuel, un-used power, and a pollutant.

I dont know, maybe the chemical count of blood to diesel in my veins still has to rise a bit, but this whole black smoke thing to me is just as "cool" as the ricers putting the fart in a can Maxwell House coffee can muffler on their car, and them saying, man, doesn't that sound good.

Ok, lemme put on my protective gear, and let the Hazing begin...
No hell. from me. i like to see it but i wouldnt want to do it much. sorta like burning rubber to me. fun some tmes but not bery cost practical. i get a nice litle clearing ouff with my xzilliraider race box every once in a while.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Badd Dogg Guy19, Lesson 101 Smoking

Hypothetical situation:

You are on the highway in the fast lane and this Corvette convertible is on your tail, you notice a 40 something driver and his arm hanger 20 something girlfriend just itching to pass , yet the speed limit is 65 mph and you are already doing 75 mph. The Corvette driver steps out to pass you on the right side and would'nt it be nice to be able to.................. You fill in the blank.

I thought you could

Rick
Old 08-24-2005, 10:49 PM

if you were seriously concerned about fuel prices you would be ridding a bike everywhere..............."smoke em if you got em"
I have 2 Bikes, and 2 cars sitting in the garage right now, lol. My Ram gets better milage than them!!...... Well maybe not my little 250
Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 PM

You are on the highway in the fast lane and this Corvette convertible is on your tail, you notice a 40 something driver and his arm hanger 20 something girlfriend just itching to pass , yet the speed limit is 65 mph and you are already doing 75 mph. The Corvette driver steps out to pass you on the right side and would'nt it be nice to be able to.................. You fill in the blank.

Lets see, Maybe not the Guy in a vette, cause I hope when Im 40, I can get a 20 yr old girlfriend But If its a ricer, point well taken!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:09 AM

Boy I had a 92 CTD and I can't tell you how many people got the black cloud if they did something I didn't like in traffic!!
Come on to a dyno day and stand close to one of the 650hp trucks while it makes enough smoke to get the fire dept to show up!!

Quick Reply: How do ya get black smoke??