3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help: Water Pump Bolt Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Help: Water Pump Bolt Size

Short version: Anybody know the diameter and thread pitch of the water pump bolts for a 2004.5?

Long version: While driving down the highway today, my water pump, in a fit of petulance, decided to liberate itself from the engine, freeing the serpentine belt at the same time. I was driving over a bridge at the time. A bridge with a corner on it. While traveling 72mph. As you might imagine, the excitement factor was rather high when the truck appeared to achieve sentience and it's first reasoned decision was to kill me by trying to steer straight into (and through) the guardrail instead of in my intended (and required) course of direction. I managed to muscle it up an off-ramp, through a round about and roll into a parking lot before the brakes completely failed to work, so that worked out in my favor I guess. Anyway...don't know how it happened, but the water pump bolts loosened and the bottom one is gone. The pump spins just fine, so I think I got lucky there (replaced it in December/don't want to buy another), but I need to know what diameter/thread pitch the bolt is so I can replace it. Anyone?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:40 PM

UPDATE: In a shocking (and completely foreseen) turn of events, none of the Dodge/Ram dealers have a part number for the bolts. A quick call to Cummins NW and they had the part number, but none in stock. A little digging through manuals by the parts tech finally found the answer: M8x1.25x22.

Thanks Cummins NW for taking the time to help.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great to hear they were able to help. Now to figure out why it actually happened!!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Now that I've had a chance to dig around, I found the lower bolt sheared about 3 threads in. Now I get to remove stuff so I can pull the remnants. I would guess I overtorqued it when I changed pumps in December, but who knows?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That sucks. You may have stretched it when over tightening and the vibration took its toll.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Dig at it with an o ring pick. If it turns at all, just work it out, if not, get an angle drill aand a left hand drill bit.
Anothher tactic is to use a rag and a standard screwdriver. Bunch the rag into the hole, and twist it with the driver, it might grab a sharp part of the bolt, and spin it out.

I usually weld them out, but i am a bit lazy that way. Good luck