Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Help tuning new turbo.... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/help-tuning-new-turbo-284376/)

DieselBoy20 01-25-2011 07:16 PM

Help tuning new turbo....

Just got my truck back yesterday after the install of the turbo and 50hp nozzles in my sig and truck is making awful timing rattle or engine rattle for that matter at lower rpms, once the turbo is spooled it quits. Smarty is set at sw5, moderate tourque. I have tried advancing the timing and setting the smarty to aftermarket injector timing and it still sounds the same. Also tried both settings with wastegate on and off which should matter but its off right now. Can someone tell me how to tune that rattle out and give me advice on what i should currently run my smarty at with this upgrade.

DieselBoy20 01-25-2011 07:17 PM

Im also running a revo version from prob a year and a half ago

MikeyB 01-26-2011 07:35 AM

I assume you selected 'Timing 3' with the Revo, correct?

Try running a even number power level.

Also try increasing the torque management like #2, mild.

MikeyB

DieselBoy20 01-27-2011 12:59 AM

I actually put my truck back to stock and it was the same if not worse yet, my truck started knocking and sputtering tonight while set to stock....its gotta go back to the shop something isnt right and wasn't installed right, ive never had this problem before with anything like this before i added the turbo and nozzles. I also had 2 new injectors replaced under warranty while it was there. I updated my smarty tonight with the latest software and uploaded catcher 5 with everything on default and I still have the bad timing rattle. What gives?

menzy 01-27-2011 07:01 AM

I have a similar rattle, I have Industrials 28 liter per minute nozzles, 90hp?????, anyways it doesnt seem to matter what program I run with the smarty there is a rattle at lower rpms. Im wondering if it has anything to do with rail pressure??? I run mine on 2, my relief valve is stock in my rail. Wonder if it would go away if a guy cranked the rail pressure up?? im not willing to try it on mine, I like my nozzles where they are. [laugh][redface]

btw Im running 4.18 TNT Revo on the smarty

soulezoo 01-27-2011 10:02 AM

Aftermarket injectors have a habit on some trucks of producing the rattle you describe. I have never heard of only 50hp tips doing it though; usually, it is large stix.

The rattle I speak of is at idle to a point where maybe 3-4psi boost it goes away. No one has definitively found the reason for it yet. It has been discussed at length on another forum. If this is the same rattle i speak of, no harm comes from it... it is just annoying. It is not the smarty and you can't "tune" it out.

DieselBoy20 01-28-2011 01:24 PM

I am having more issues than just the rattle though, my egts at cruising speed are 200 degress hotter at 800+/-, where i used to be 600 degrees +/- consistently, it is knocking and sputtering at times also. With a bigger turbo i definately shouldn't see an increase with egts. My mechanic figures maybe one of the injectors maybe didnt seat properly and is leaking fuel by creating its own advanced timing so to speak lol? He also said to maybe check my pacbrake to make sure its not sticking closed at all and it fully opens on its own.

moparmatt 01-28-2011 11:09 PM

when i had my injectors installed i had some bad injector rattle almost like a miss, i took it back and they swapped the injectors in to different holes and everything was good after that