3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1/4 mile no traction

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1/4 mile no traction

Just got back from 1/4 mile racing but very disapointed my truck has no traction on rear wheels. It s pelling out about
3 to 5 cars long . Any info would really help.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM

Let me guess? You have a Dodge 3rd Gen Truck with a Limited Slip? I suggest a Locker in the Rear and Drag Slicks, then you can start snapping them UJoints and other parts, Input/Output shafts, Axles, etc etc. It is a Slippery Slope! But Fun to some!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 PM

Your right , but what about running in 4 high? A lot of people doit but I'm afraid of breaking something .
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

If your afraid of breaking something while racing then your in the wrong sport. Just saying... good luck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Where can I get that rear locker?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Well Cindy how do you run your truck in the 1/4 mile ?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by cincoup
Just got back from 1/4 mile racing but very disapointed my truck has no traction on rear wheels. It s pelling out about
--------------------------------------------
cincoup:

Let me see if I can help you here Sir.

I have been drag racing Dodge Diesel Pickup Trucks for quite awhile now.
My 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve is set-up specifically for drag racing. You can look at my signature for how it is set-up.

You need to launch your truck in 4WD High. Leave the transmission in drive and let it shift normally. I generally ease up to the lights at the drag strip and as I light the first set of bulbs (PRE-STAGED) I begin building boost by holding my brake and easing into the accelerator. Slowly keep building boost until you get to about 10-15lbs and at that point ease into the second set of lights (STAGED). CAUTION: IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN AFTERMARKET TRANNY DO NOT GO ABOVE 10LBS OF BOOST!
Once the STAGED light comes on you will see the lights below that start to light one at a time. On the LAST YELLOW you need to floor it and GO!

Here is a video link for you of a drag race between my 1996 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel Pickup and the 2001 Chevy Camaro SS. The Camaro was pretty well modified. The owner had an SLP Cam and modified heads, American Racing Headers, Tuner, FASS Intake along with drag racing slicks!

When you watch the video, you will hear a loud noise. That is NOT my truck, but the OPEN HEADERS on that guys Camaro!! LOL!! When the link opens, click on the picture in the upper left hand corner, that is my truck:

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...4005406-04.flv

Hope this helps you some Sir!

--------
John_P
Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator

cincoup:

Here is another link for you to look at of two "Pro-Street" Diesel Pickups Drag Racing in Bradneton, Fla. about three weeks ago.

This drag race is the FINAL Pro-Street Run between my buddy Micah Sullivan and Dimitri Millard down at Bradenton, Fla. @ the NHRDA Diesel Opener Race. Micah is in the right lane in his Dodge CTD Pickup Truck which is painted black with the blue "Scheid Lightning Bolts" Dimitri Millard is in his Chevy Duramax Pickup in the left lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfW8Rb4cavo

Micah ran a 9.81@139 MPH on that pass and WON THE RACE!!
Go Dodge Diesels!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info JP and everyone who took.the time to.put their 5 cents in
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info JP and everyone who took.the time to.put their 5 cents in
----------------------------------
cincoup:

You are very welcome Sir! I hope my advice will help you at the drag strip.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM

Well Cindy how do you run your truck in the 1/4 mile ?
Cindy? It's actually Eric but I guess deserved that response. It must have been past beer 30 when I posted my original comment.

I generally hit reverse for about 2 feet right before I stage. I've been told this will lock up the rear. I then turn everything to kill and put the shift enhancer to race and lock up the T/C Switch. I then shift to 4H and stage last with around 15-20psi of boost. Be careful though and make sure the other guy stages before you so he doesn't "burn you down" (EGT's will start climbing when you start building boost). Once the last yellow light hits a let go of the brake and go! Only to make it down the track with a mild 13s run..

One of these days I'll catch JohnP.. Well maybe if Morkable lets borrow his truck

Keep in mind though racing or pulling will break something before long.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Cindy? It's actually Eric but I guess deserved that response. It must have been past beer 30 when I posted my original comment.
I told you the leather hot pants and fishnet stockings were going to get you in trouble
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I told you the leather hot pants and fishnet stockings were going to get you in trouble
And you promised me that "what happens in the breakroom stays in the breakroom".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing affects vehicle performance more than tires. The right tread, right compound, right pressure, right temp. It could be something as simple as too much pressure. Or something more expensive, like an old dry rotted all season tire.

Second, you say ,"Wheels", not "Wheel". Do you have LSD, or an open diff? The standard Dodge LSD is a worm gear. Very reliable and long lasting. But they're not always set up correctly. Once you have the tire issue resolved, then you can address the differential

A locker is the second best choice for drag racing - spool is best. Of course, you can't use a spool on the street. But a locker is not always the best choice on snow and ice; that's where a worm gear generally does better.

John_P, that video is pretty impressive. High 11's in a nearly 4 ton vehicle is pretty darn quick. High 11's in any street vehicle is pretty darned quick.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE=.boB;3092896]Nothing affects vehicle performance more than tires. The right tread, right compound, right pressure, right temp. It could be something as simple as too much pressure. Or something more expensive, like an old dry rotted all season tire.

Second, you say ,"Wheels", not "Wheel". Do you have LSD, or an open diff? The standard Dodge LSD is a worm gear. Very reliable and long lasting. But they're not always set up correctly. Once you have the tire issue resolved, then you can address the differential

A locker is the second best choice for drag racing - spool is best. Of course, you can't use a spool on the street. But a locker is not always the best choice on snow and ice; that's where a worm gear generally does better.

John_P, that video is pretty impressive. High 11's in a nearly 4 ton vehicle is pretty darn quick. High 11's in any street vehicle is pretty darned quick.[/QUOTE
----------
bOB:

Thanks for your nice comments on my truck! Also to my friend cincy who also has a great running truck.

The neat thing about that video is the driver of the Camaro hates diesel pickups and at that drag race said "He was going to bust my *** before we ever went to the staging lanes!" On that run I left pretty hard building almost 30lbs of boost at the line cutting a 1.65 60ft time!
While my truck is nowhere near as fast as my friend Micah Sullivans Pro-Street Dodge, my truck has not been lightened at all. Weight wise it is exactly as it came from the factory weighing in at a very portly 6,824lbs!