3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got rear ended... pics... advice on new bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got rear ended... pics... advice on new bumper

Guy nailed me... didn't even apply his brakes. I saw it coming from my rear view and just sat their and swore right before impact. Estimate on damage would be nice and would I be able to get an aftermarket bumper instead of stocker? The dings on the tailgate are deeper than they appear. And I think my little bumper bar saved me from more damage.
Attached Thumbnails Got rear ended... pics... advice on new bumper-accident-002.jpg   Got rear ended... pics... advice on new bumper-accident-004.jpg   Got rear ended... pics... advice on new bumper-accident-005.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

His = totaled
Yours = +/- $1000 for new bumper and tailgate fix.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would guess around 1500, that seems about average for the kinda damage. I got rearend in my 98 and got 1350 for a new pump and a small dent in the corner of the book. My ex-gf had a 01 silverdo and got 1550 for similar damage to my truck.

Out if curiousty, did his airbag deploy(can't tell from the picture)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM

His airbad did NOT deploy.. kinda strange considering the damage. He was deployed... in outer space somewhere... via some illicit substance.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Poor Schmuck! LOL
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM

was he giving himself a rectal exam on the way home?????? because he must of had his head somehere? haha
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Wow that's a nice solid hit. Hopefully there's no frame damage. Dude's airbags probably didn't deploy because it was his hood that got crunched and not the bumper. Impact too high for the sensors to care. But you'd think they'd make those airbag sensors oversensitive.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shorts
Wow that's a nice solid hit. Hopefully there's no frame damage. Dude's airbags probably didn't deploy because it was his hood that got crunched and not the bumper. Impact too high for the sensors to care. But you'd think they'd make those airbag sensors oversensitive.
I agree that the bags probably didn't deploy because of him slamming his brakes on, dipping, and majority of the damage being to the top of the core support and the hood. They can't make the sensors too sensitive because they are usually rated somewhere around a 250lb person at 50mph, so if they are too sensitive and pop at the wrong time, that could be some real damage. We deployed some at iCar certification classes, face down on the pavement.. pretty high jump.

As far as the frame damage, I wouldn't worry about that... these trucks are way too cool for that yota

I'd say nothing more than the bumper, brackets, and maybe some touchups on the corners of the quarters. If you are good with your hands, cash out on the insurance, get a breaker bar and change your brackets and put an aftermarket bumper on it. Or look on Cglist for a used one
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Wow....Why you wanna go picking on the little guy like that

Classic photo's, sure shows how much safer you are in the largest vehicle in the crash

Sorry your sweet truck got damaged but really glad you didn't
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shorts

I have an audi A4, and the sensors are at the top of the core support, one on each side at the inner edge of the headlight. Apparently toyota doesn't feel the need to have ones high enough to be triggered by rear-ending a truck .
Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 PM

My guess as I just had bumper and tailgate fixed plus alot more. OEM bumper 650 plus 1.5 labor @75 an hour. Tailgate R/R with paint/labor blend the box sides $1100. Other guy not so lucky at least 8k min. may be a totaled but not if uni body ok and A pillars aren't tweeked.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM

you may need a new box tube hitch too. Look very carefully at everything, be there when your adjuster looks at stuff.

Poor sap in the Toyota, was he OK? That would have jarred his butt pretty good, neck too. Bet he is one sore dude right about now.

Glad you didn't get hurt, and also glad your damages are minor.

CD
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
His airbad did NOT deploy.. kinda strange considering the damage. He was deployed... in outer space somewhere... via some illicit substance.
airbags are tied to the bumper....his bumper looks like it went under yours
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Blake gave me an "A" for effort!

That looks similar to the Dodge Neon that rear-ended me a few years ago. Luckily I was turning running about 5 mph. It turned me completely around. I didn't have a single mark on my truck (my hitch took the blow) but his poor car was trashed. Sad part was I was hoping he damaged my bumper so I could get it replaced as the corner is dented from me having an argument with a small light pole.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM

After I got rear ended by a F150, I upgraded to a FabFours Rear Bumper...been happy with it!

Quick Reply: Got rear ended... pics... advice on new bumper