Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Got bit by the bug and need help! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/got-bit-bug-need-help-137182/)

own1bigtruck 02-14-2007 07:36 PM

Got bit by the bug and need help!

Im getting ready to order an air filter and exhaust for my 06 ram. I am currently looking at getting an AFE stage 1 filter with a torque tube, and an MBRP cool duals T304 cat back exhaust. My question is, does anyone have this combination? If so, do they have pictures of them installed, and how well do they like the combo. The other question is, is this a good combo, or is there something else I should look at?

Totallyrad 02-14-2007 08:30 PM

Own1, welcome to the party. If you would, please take a moment to fill out your truck's signature as our fast and friendly technical department will request that information upon their arrival, which shouldn't take long.

own1bigtruck 02-14-2007 08:58 PM

fixed it....coulda swore i did that when i registered in the first place?! Oh well...

own1bigtruck 02-14-2007 09:00 PM

guess it still missed the signature, so i did it again!

RamWheelsBy4 02-14-2007 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by own1bigtruck (Post 1357889)
Im getting ready to order an air filter and exhaust for my 06 ram. I am currently looking at getting an AFE stage 1 filter with a torque tube, and an MBRP cool duals T304 cat back exhaust. My question is, does anyone have this combination? If so, do they have pictures of them installed, and how well do they like the combo. The other question is, is this a good combo, or is there something else I should look at?

Well if you are going to go with the AFE you might as well spend the xtra $$ and just get the Stage II that includes the tubing to the turbo. I have had both and sooner or later you will wish you had went with the Stage II. It is a filter envy sort of thing(bigger is better). Pics of both my AFE installations below. I do think the MBRP cool duals look good, but have only been around one for a short time, so don't know how they really sound and if there is any drone towing or highway.

AFE Stage I and Torque Tube - Pro Guard 7 & with pre-filter
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....ude/162622.jpg

AFE Stage II - Pro Guard 7 with pre-filter
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....ude/241735.jpg

madhat 02-14-2007 09:54 PM

Me personally, (and this is JMHO) if I was going to spend $$$$ on exaust, I'd run stacks. I did a 5" muffler (and something else) delete for $50 at a local shop. I'm not running enough power to need 5/6 inch exaust yet, so why spend the money? It does depend on what you want, tho, and how much noise/maintainence that you are willing to stand. (for stacks) If you like something, and it does not make your performance worse, who cares what any one else thinks?
As for the air flow, spend the money right and get the stage II if that is what you are looking at.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

own1bigtruck 02-14-2007 10:09 PM

hey Ram, how much difference did you notice between the stage 1 and the stage 2? The salesman I talked to said there wouldnt be much difference and it would be cheaper to go with the stage 1 and torque tube.

own1bigtruck 02-14-2007 10:10 PM

and no madhat, stacks are out. I tried that route, but the spousal support unit said absolutely not!

RamWheelsBy4 02-14-2007 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by own1bigtruck (Post 1358221)
hey Ram, how much difference did you notice between the stage 1 and the stage 2? The salesman I talked to said there wouldnt be much difference and it would be cheaper to go with the stage 1 and torque tube.

As far as performance difference, probably not measurable on the street. But maybe a little quicker spool and few EGTs lower on WOT type runs at the track. I actually think the turbo singing was a little louder with the Stage I and Torque Tube than the Stage II, but I have bad hearing so maybe just me. There is definitely more filter surface with the Stage II and the same filtration. When you add it up not that much difference in the price. I would suspect that Stage I and Torque Tubes are getting harder to sell so they get marketed a little more. But realistically if you are not going for higher level mods the performance difference may not be enough to justify the cost.

I just got "filter envy" and just had to have that bigger setup. I am at a point mod wise that it may help me a little so I am happy with it.

oil_burner 02-15-2007 05:21 AM

If you are deleting the cat (for offroad use only) stay away from Mbrp , It has a horrible in cab drone . Ive heard magnaflow and silverline are good and quiet inside. just my opinion