Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Got an AIRAID Modular Intake Tube (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/got-airaid-modular-intake-tube-36273/)

RamDan03 12-25-2003 11:57 PM

Got an AIRAID Modular Intake Tube

Well, my girlfriend got me the AIRAID modular intake tube for Christmas. This will replace the stock intake tube with the baffles. While i'm at it, i'll most likely pluck the silencer ring too.

RamDan03 12-26-2003 07:59 AM

Well, after about 20 minutes, I had the whole job done....I'll post differences in sound, power, etc. later. The silencer ring popped right out with 2 screwdrivers....didn't even have to search for my snap ring pliers which have been missing for a while.

RamDan03 12-27-2003 09:00 AM

I am very impressed with the results. The turbo sings nicely (not too loud) and the throttle response seems crisper. It may be my imagination, but I am happy with the results. It's amazing how restrictive the factory tubing looked.

The Boss Hog 12-27-2003 09:05 AM

RamDan3
Did you check or do you know how much of the turbo sing is due to the AIRAID and how much is due to removing the silencer ring? Also, did you keep the factory air cleaner element?

The Boss Hog
( Merry CHristmas :D )

RamDan03 12-27-2003 10:41 AM

Originally posted by The Boss Hog
RamDan3
Did you check or do you know how much of the turbo sing is due to the AIRAID and how much is due to removing the silencer ring? Also, did you keep the factory air cleaner element?

The Boss Hog
( Merry CHristmas :D )

I'm not sure how much of the turbo sing is related to the AIRAID, but I am pretty sure that it is quite a bit. I rode in a friend's 3rd gen with just the silencer ring removed and it wasn't quite as pronounced. I did keep the factory air cleaner element because I am still a little leary of using an aftermarket filter. I may use an AIRAID drop-in filter or something similar.

Patrick Campbell 12-27-2003 01:31 PM

It's the cone filter I'm pretty sure that makes it roar.

commtrd 12-28-2003 07:23 AM

I am using the AFE mega-cannon (I think that's what they call it) cold-air system with the cone type filter and the noise is not excessive at all. I have the silencer ring removed but still using the same connecting piece between filter assembly and turbocharger. Now the turbo spools MUCH better and faster and I can hear it but it is not intrusive at all.

I changed from the factory airbox to try and get better fuel mileage. I was wondering how restrictive the stock exhaust system is?

glowball 12-28-2003 08:21 AM

Exhaust

The exhaust is pretty darn restrictive.

RamDan03 12-28-2003 10:04 AM

Yeah, exhaust is next on my list. I'm probably going to use a Dynomax Ultra Flow or a Flowmaster Delta Force Muffler. I may even try a Flowmaster 70 series Muffler.