3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Goerend Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerend Tranny Problem

I have a question for all you tranny guys-

While driving I've been having problems when shifting into 4th. Its seems as the tranny is changing gears and locking the T/C at the same time. I really never get the full benefit of the rpm range of 4th before going into overdrive. I called Dave and was told that this is a problem with the 48re computer controlled shifting. Sometimes it does and sometimes it dont. Anything I can do to cure this problem??
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM

i kinda have the same problem... its in 4th for a couple seconds and then the tc locks. mine varies on how much throttle im applying. you have the shift enhancer? i have the one dave carries.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 PM

I have the same Enhancer.. The shift is really starting to annoy me. Its hell on the turbo when your pulling a trailer
Old 03-03-2009, 03:46 PM

you guys have 5 speed autos? my overdrive is 4th gear. i kinda have a goerend setup also. i have goerend triple disc torque converter and shift kit with new clutch packs in my tranny. thats pretty much a goerend tranny isnt it?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Just 4 speeds.. When the T/C lock up in 4th thats considered your overdrive.

You also have Goerends parts.. I think the actual Goerend standard trannys are full rebuilds done with little extras here and there built by Dave
Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM

it should still be better than str8 factory 48re?shouldnt it? it seems to shift better and i can feel it downshift into 1st gear when i come to redlight. just that i forgot howgood it is because ive been away from truck for a month now.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Just 4 speeds.. When the T/C lock up in 4th thats considered your overdrive.
Not quite Cincy, our trannys are 4 speeds. 4th is OD with TC lockup completing the mechanical 1 to 1 between the tranny and the engine.

Richard
Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM

am i missing something?

is the t/c locking/unlocking or is it shifting back-n-forth between 3rd & 4th?

I thought we wanted a quick lock-up to keep the heat in the tranny down. If it's not locked then you're building heat. For the record the t/c lockup is not overdrive, 4th is overdrive. Trying to have the trans stay out of lockup longer would be like holding the clutch halfway down (in a manual trans setup)to get the gearing you want.

Now, what I ran into with my '01(47re), after I installed a Goerends t/c. The t/c would lock-unlock repeatedly, especially with cruise on. On the '01, if you let up on the go pedal too much, the t/c would unlock. just the way dodge designed it. the stock converter was so loose, I didn't notice it happening. I noticed right away when I went to the tighter Goerends trans. I ended up getting an ATS Commander, which would hold lock-up down to a programmed speed. That pretty much solved the problem I was having. On that box, with the valve body I had, it wouldn't downshift when locked, so I just left it set to around 40 for the lock-unlock speed.

Also, I had 4.10's on the '01, so the 3-4 shift wasn't too bad. On my '00, I have 3.55's, that 3-4 shift seems HUGE. I didn't notice what gears you have. I think the commander has since been replaced, I don't know what the replacement is though. You could go with a "smoke switch", to manually lock the converter. you'll just have to remember to shut it off when coming to a stop, so you don't stall the truck.

of course i have no clue what the problem may be if you are shifting 3-4 and it's not a lock-up related problem.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by raychem
Not quite Cincy, our trannys are 4 speeds. 4th is OD with TC lockup completing the mechanical 1 to 1 between the tranny and the engine.

Richard
Thats what I thought I said.. Maybe I should have typed it differently
Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same issue and I have a TV cable. The way to get around it is with your right foot. I have found that too much throttle and it will do it along with not enough. I really don't care unless I am towing. When it shifts from 3rd to 4th I will let off of the throttle a little bit and easy back into it. I can do it so that I lock up the TC around 56 MPH. Just takes practice. I do get it wrong from time to time though. It is normally when I rush.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I have the same issue and I have a TV cable. The way to get around it is with your right foot. I have found that too much throttle and it will do it along with not enough. I really don't care unless I am towing. When it shifts from 3rd to 4th I will let off of the throttle a little bit and easy back into it. I can do it so that I lock up the TC around 56 MPH. Just takes practice. I do get it wrong from time to time though. It is normally when I rush.
i do the same from time to time, especially when i just want to get her into OD.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I'm currently doing the same. Its just a pain in my rear because I shouldn't have to. It really stinks when you've got 13,000 lbs trailer behind you and the turbo falls on its face
Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I have a question for all you tranny guys-

While driving I've been having problems when shifting into 4th. Its seems as the tranny is changing gears and locking the T/C at the same time. I really never get the full benefit of the rpm range of 4th before going into overdrive. I called Dave and was told that this is a problem with the 48re computer controlled shifting. Sometimes it does and sometimes it dont. Anything I can do to cure this problem??
One question, are you towing in "tow-haul mode"? If you are, the tranny will lock the tc in 3rd and shift 4th and lock the TC right away. What mode are you using to daily drive your truck with the S.E. and it that the same setting you use to tow?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM

what if you put the shift enhancer on tow? whats that do for you?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by raychem
One question, are you towing in "tow-haul mode"? If you are, the tranny will lock the tc in 3rd and shift 4th and lock the TC right away. What mode are you using to daily drive your truck with the S.E. and it that the same setting you use to tow?
I use tow/haul when taking off but once I get to speed I turn it off. When slowing down in tow/haul mode the automatic downshift is very harsh. I was told by Dave not use tow/haul for this reason.

Originally Posted by paroxysym
what if you put the shift enhancer on tow? whats that do for you?
The shift enhancer only seems to hold the gear a little longer with a firmer shift. The shift enhancer just raises the v/b pressure

Quick Reply: Goerend Tranny Problem