3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting ready to install my new BD Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting ready to install my new BD Exhaust Brake

2005 3500, 5.9 Cummins, manual, BD turbo-mount Exhaust Brake.

Looking at the instructions, the wiring diagrams make it look like I can eliminate the entire DFIV installation by using the shifter-mounted rocker switch I bought. Yet the instructions clearly indicate installation of the DFIV module before it says to jump to the rocker switch installation.

Do I have the option of eliminating the DFIV module? Should I?

Any input as to preferences? The DFIV would give ma a gas pedal actuation and a cruise control disconnect, but then if I have the rocker switch, would I need those?

Second question: What options have people looked at for replacing the tiny little compressor with a better unit that would be usable for tires? This little thing has a 150psi max pressure, but only a 25% duty cycle at 2.3cfm at 100psi. Wondering if I might be able to install a pressure tank up under the frame that would hold enough volume at 150 psi to fill a tire or two.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a Pacbrake on my 07, and have decided to do the air system myself. I would recommend getting a better compressor, look at some of the stuff sold for cars with pneumatic suspensions. Viair makes some Compressors
I picked up a pretty big one and have mounted it under the passenger side with a big splash pan to protect it. There are many other brands as well. Amazon and Ebay have a big selection size and shape tanks, there's plenty of room under the truck to stash one.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:20 PM

I've been working on installing my BD exhaust brake most of the day. Unsuccessfully. The instructions are poorly written, to the point that I'm not sure whether I'm missing parts, or they shipped me the wrong item, or I'm just stupid.

Before I burst into flames here, I'm going to call them next week and see if Diesel Power Products and BD will get me straightened out and squared away.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
I have the Pacbrake on mine and only use the stick mounted switch. It is positioned so that I can activate it with my thumb and use it many times every day. You do NOT need all that electronic stuff to control the brake as that is optional.

As for compressors, I now use two Viair compressors mounted in the box in the back of the truck. Made a semi floating installation for sound deadening. Originally I had one compressor installed behind the back seat, but that was horribly noisy. Now can no longer hear the compressors when they run, so installed a tiny LED on the instrument panel next to the pressure gauge so that I know when they are on.

I have a Viair 2.5 gallon air tank mounted under the LH side of the truck between the frame and the side of the cab. Also have a Viair 5 gallon tank squeezed into a similar location on the RH side and connected in series. Next to the rear seat and inside the truck I installed a standard quick disconnect so can now use this air for other purposes like pumping tires.

The photo shows my compressor installation. I have the extra valving that is required for the front and back airbags, but you will not need them. If you install a compressor this far away from the battery, make sure that you have an adequate wire size for the load and a proper fuse next to the battery.
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready to install my new BD Exhaust Brake-compressor.jpg  
Old 03-25-2017, 10:27 PM

I got my BD exhaust brake installed...finally.

I called the tech rep at Diesel Power Products. The man said that if I do not install the DFIV module, even though I will be using the stick shift toggle switch, I risk damaging the engine if I should push the accelerator while the EB is engaged. I decided to go ahead and install it.

I followed the directions to the T, including soldering all the connections, rather than using the included quick-connectors. Got it all installed and everything works as advertised. I'm pretty pleased with the unit.

Now the review:

First, I ordered the unit from DPP online. I have purchased several items from them in the past and have been very satisfied. However, this time I received the confirmation of my order, but no shipping details. I noticed my account was charged for the purchase immediately when I ordered. After several days I contacted DPP to find out why I had not received any tracking information or confirmation of shipment. I was informed that the item was backordered and would be delayed about two weeks. I asked if it was their practice to charge the customer before the item is shipped. The receptionist answered that the charge is how they process their orders. So, if the item is backordered, the customer is charged immediately, regardless of when the item actually ships. I was disappointed in that policy. Most reputable places will give the customer the option of refusing the sale or waiting for the backorder and will not charge the customer until the item ships. Happily, the EB arrived sooner than expected.

However, when I opened the package I found it was poorly packaged and
EB had sustained damage. Apparently the box was dropped in shipping and a fitting had been broken off the actuation cylinder. The box did not show any apparent damage. Additionally, the air filter for the compressor was not included in the order, although I did get a used cigarette lighter. I contacted DPP and a couple days later they followed up by mailing me the broken fitting and the filter assembly. That was at my request, since I had the necessary tools and skills to extract the broken fitting from the cylinder and install a new one. Otherwise I would have had to return the entire package and wait for another.

Later, during installation, I found they had also failed to include the anti-rattle pad which backs the compressor bracket. I called again and they are supposed to be mailing one out to me. I went ahead and finished the installation and will install the pad after the fact when it arrives.

Lastly, the installation instructions provided by BD are unclear. The unit is for 2004.5-2007 trucks. The instructions flow through the installation process by breaking out sections designated for 2004, 2004.5-05, and 2006-07, however in various places it is hard to determine whether a particular section applies to all or just one of the various year models. When it comes to the stick shift push-pull and toggle switches, the instructions and diagrams they provide apply only to the 2006-07 year models, but the instructions don't actually say that, which is what occasioned the questions above and my telephone call to DPP.

The BD product is obviously a high-quality unit. The EB itself is a very heavy hunk of cast iron with a very heavy steel butterfly valve inside. All mating surfaces are well machined and smooth. I was very pleased with the quality of each part of the unit and with the connectors, wiring, and other parts included with the kit. It installed quite easily, well within the capabilities of a reasonably capable shade-tree mechanic (I put myself in that category) and did not require any special or unusual tools. A good soldering iron and a multi-meter are helpful, but not required.

I don't believe Diesel Power Products is to blame for the missing parts in the kit, and I am sure they didn't write the installation manual, but all that was disappointing, nonetheless, for a $1300+ purchase.

I haven't yet had the chance to test the new EB with my trailer, but look forward to doing so. I have spent nearly $2500 over the past three years for brake work on my truck. The last time, the tech said I need to check the brakes on my trailer, because my truck brakes were getting over-heated. I told him my trailer brakes were new and recently adjusted and that I have a very good brake controller. I am hoping my new EB will help reduce the costs on my brakes sufficiently to pay for itself over the long haul, besides making hauling my horses in the mountains much safer.

Side note: The clamp bolts on the turbo clamps are very easy to break. It would seem reasonable that Dodge would have a supply of those available, but no. The bolts can only be purchased from Dodge as part of the clamps, which run about $65 each. Rather than do that, and lacking any other source for the T-bolts, I made my own out of a couple stainless steel 1/4" fine-thread bolts, locking nuts, and a couple short pieces of 3/8" steel rod. They worked just fine for a couple bucks and a few minutes of work.
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready to install my new BD Exhaust Brake-img_2858.jpg   Getting ready to install my new BD Exhaust Brake-img_2859.jpg   Getting ready to install my new BD Exhaust Brake-img_2860.jpg   Getting ready to install my new BD Exhaust Brake-img_2861.jpg  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Test Report on my BD exhaust brake

I had the chance to test my BD exhaust brake last week. I was hauling my 4-horse, all steel, gooseneck trailer with two horses and all my gear, and one 55-gallon drum full of water; a decent load for the test run. You can see what I have for a truck on my signature. I hauled over Rt 6 from Spanish Fork, Utah, past Price, to Ferron, Utah, then down to US 70 over to Salina and back up to Salem. That makes a run from about 4,500 feet elevation to over 9,000, and down Price Canyon. Lots of long downhill runs.

I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed at first, not really knowing what to expect from an exhaust brake. I guess I was expecting more braking power, like the big trucks with their engine brakes. However, once my expectations were re-calibrated to a more reasonable level, I was quite pleased.

I found that as long as I was in the right gear for the downhill grade, the BD exhaust brake would hold my speed without having to resort to the wheel brakes. If I was doing a 6% grade, I realized it was unreasonable to expect the exhaust brake to hold speed in 6th gear at 70mph and about 2200rpm. However, if I backed down to 60 or 65mph and dropped into 5th gear (I don't recall the rpms), the exhaust brake held the speed with no problem.

As others have said, the exhaust brake provides more braking power with higher rpm. I found that to be true as well. However, even at low rpm, such as when coming to a stop, I found the BD offered a good bit of braking even down to about the time I push in the clutch.

I installed the EB according to the installation manual, soldering all connections, and adjusting the engagement on the DFIV module to my truck's throttle position. I also installed an electric toggle switch on the stick shifter, rather than the toggle switch included with the kit which mounts on the dash. That was simply a matter of wiring the shifter switch in place of the dash switch on the installation manual. Disregard the section in the manual about the stick shifter switch, because it is only for 2006-7 trucks. I talked to a technician at Diesel Power Products about whether the DFIV module was necessary for a standard shift truck and he assured me it was necessary to avoid damaging the engine in the case of inadvertently leaving the EB engaged and pushing the throttle.

I found one issue with the cruise control that I think BD could easily address with the DVIF module programming or a simple wiring adjustment: With the EB switched on (with the toggle switch) the cruise control cannot be engaged. This is because the throttle is not pressed, so the throttle position switch causes the EB to engage, which disengages the cruise control. I would think it would be a better solution to have the DFIV module programmed to turn off the EB when the cruise control is engaged and turn on the EB when the cruise control is disengaged by touching the brake or manually disengaging it. That way one could cruise along with the EB switched on but not engaged until they touch the brake to turn off the cruise control, at which time the EB would engage and slow the vehicle. Makes a lot more sense to me.

For a standard transmission truck, I highly recommend a switch on the shifter, whether the toggle or the push-pull, doesn't matter. On other threads I read where some folks just turn the EB on and leave it on all the time. I found I do not like that. When the EB is on, the brake operates whenever the throttle is not depressed, which means that when you are sitting at a red light in town, your EB is engaged and blocking your exhaust unnecessarily. Nor do I feel comfortable leaving it engaged in areas where engine brakes are prohibited. I know it's not a true engine brake, but I can see where a small town officer might not know that.

I am pleased with my BD EB and feel like the purchase was worth the price of $1320, including the shifter switch and shipping. My last brake job cost me nearly $800. When I picked the truck up, I was told by the mechanic that my rear rotors had been over-heated and had to be turned. He said I needed to improve my trailer braking to avoid that in the future. I suspect that was from me dragging a bit on the brakes on long downhills. I try to be careful about not over-heating the brakes, but apparently I wasn't doing as well as I thought. I am confident that my new EB will solve that problem and will pay for itself within a few years.

As a side-note, I re-installed my EGT sensor on the EB yesterday and found a loose fitting, which was allowing an exhaust leak in the body of the EB (my fault, not BD's). After tightening that fitting, I should get even better performance from the EB.

Now for my 90-gallon RDS auxiliary fuel tank installation!
Old 12-08-2020, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by esde
I'm getting ready to install a Pacbrake on my 07, and have decided to do the air system myself. I would recommend getting a better compressor, look at some of the stuff sold for cars with pneumatic suspensions. Viair makes some Compressors
I picked up a pretty big one and have mounted it under the passenger side with a big splash pan to protect it. There are many other brands as well. Amazon and Ebay have a big selection size and shape tanks, there's plenty of room under the truck to stash one.
What is your opinion of the Pacbrake? I'm looking for an exhaust brake for my 2007 ram