3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Fuel Leaking into Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Leaking into Oil

I have an 07' 5.9L cummins that I bought in September in Salt Lake city. In early November I threw a rod because apparently oil was being consumed after blowin past the rings. I had the motor completely re-built, and nearly 4 months later I got it back and after a day the PCM completely shut down. Apparently fuel contamination existed in the fuel system and had mangled the injectors, which explains why oil was getting past the rings. I had to replace nearly the entire fuel system, new injectors, cleaned the tank, replaced the filter housing, lift pump, and so on. After all this I expected to be good to go, but still my fuel pressure gauge was throwin some code, so i replaced the sender which didnt do anything, then I installed a manual gauge in the filter housing which showed everything checked out. But when i checked the dipstick it was registering abotu an inch above the safe mark. So obvioosuly fuel is getting in somewhere. Today I am going to take the valve cover off and run the motor to see if any of the o-rings are bad. People have been telling me fuel is washing past the pistons and after the compression test it showed that 1 and 3 were freakishly low. They also told me to check the seal inside the CP3. If anyone has any ideas as to what is going wrong. Please let me know. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Usually when they are making oil like that it is the injectors......all it takes is one bad one.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 PM

So you think I should get the injectors tested then? What about the cp3 pumP? And do you even think its possible for it to be bad rings?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Could be bad injectors or improperly torqued/ leaking injector tubes.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 AM

There is a little exsess smoke. I dont have a tuner on it, and it doesnt leave massive clouds but it is significantly greater than it should be under stock tune. I have a 5" turbo back, no resonation or particulate filters. It does not smoke at idle, nor does it haze grey smoke. I pulled the valve cover and looked for fuel comming up out of the injectors due to a bad rings anywhere but couldnt see anything. The truck has great power, equal to if not more than compared to my buddys 04 5.9. When i pull the injectors to have them tested, I am also going to find out if the CP3 pump can be tested as well. Soem say it could be the seal inside the CP3 pump. Anyone have any other suggestions at all?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to DTR...

It can be the cp3 seal; however, that is uncommon. After what you've been through, might as well check it and eliminate it as a source. It is more likely to be an injector. They can leak from a few places; you'll have to get them on a bench to determine the leak. Fuel could be washing past the pistons... or simply dumping fuel up in the head. Fuel washing past cylinders will show up in the exhaust as well... white smoke that smells of unburned fuel will usually occur.

The o-rings could allow fuel up into the head under certain circumstances, but that is a symtom and not the cause.

Have the injectors checked as you indicated above.

I am concerned with cyls 1 and 3. I suggest an cylinder contribution test and a leak down test. I don't know how much you've run the engine with it making oil, but that can be catastrophic for bearings. Hopefully the engine is not damaged once more.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM

Thank you.
Ok well there is no white smoke. Thick dark black smoke. Where I am confused is that my truck runs better and has quicker response than my buddys truck and he has a bulldog tuner in it. I just changed the oil on sunday, and the oil level is already registering above safe on the dip stick. If its a bad injector, that might be a good thing because the dealership that just put them in will have to figure that out without cost to me. When I pulled the valve cover I coudlnt see fuel comming up out of the injector ports. All i knwo is that fuel is getting in there, at a very rapid rate. There was about a half gallon of fuel in the oil last time I changed it and that was maybe 1k miles worth of driving to and from work. It has to be a pretty big issue for that much uel to be getting in the oil res.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:00 PM

So prior to the motor blowing the injectors were bad. After the motor was built the injectors had not been replaced. After only have driven it for 2 days, the pcm shut down on me in downtown denver at 3 in the morning. At that point the truck was toaken to christophers dodge to be re-flashed. There they discovered the fuel system issues. I had them replace all 6 injectors, and they cleaned the entire fuel system. Is it possible for the pistons and rings to be bad? How do I find this out?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:45 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Yes, it is possible. A leak down test and cyl. contribution test as recommended prior will confirm the problem.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:11 PM

I have already had a compression test done, that showed 1 and 3 were highly under compressed, and could not be inlfated again to 400 psi. Someone told me this could be a result of the poor injectors washing the cylinders and not allowing for proper seals of the rings. What are some signs I can look for that will potentially reveal this issue. I have the injectors out now so if there is any suggestions please let me know. Also, my buddy tim told me that if the temperature was to aggressivly rise under little strain on the motor, that its a sign of over-fueling in the motor. Mind you I dont have a tune on the PCM now, last weekend driving 45 miles to silverthorn, low and behold the temp rose to almost red line in a very short period of time.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Your friend was correct, that is one possiblity- with the washout.

Now that you've identified 1 and 3 as the culprit (and a compression test is not quite the same as a leak down mind you) you will have to take a look at the cylinders. A borescope through the injector port can give a quick peek and if something really bad (melted piston or scored wall) happened it will show. Otherwise, it is time to pull the head.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Ok we are working on getting a scope now. Considering the fact this motor was rebuilt less than 4 months ago, I cant imagine anything too severe could have happened at this point. Is there anything we can look for that will show if the rings are bad? The pistons should be near new. I mean afterall I wasnt a part of the re-build my self but I am trusting the pistons are new. I am trying to avoid replacing the pistons if at any way possible. The injectors should be done today so later on I will post an update on the results. When I pull the head what am I looking for?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Ok so I got the results from the injector test. 1-4 were running low at low engine speeds, but they all passed. I didn't fully understand the results but thats what they told me. So i picked up replacement seals for the CP3 pump and am gonna install those at some point this week and expect the current ones. I don't really know where to go from there but I know for a fact that there is excess fuel being combusted. There is too much smoke comming out of a stock tune for there not to be excess fuel. And the fact my water temp rises without extremem strain on the truck really has me confused. I have been having problems with the PCM harness. It throws a random code when I downshift for steeper grades. Although I have a 5" Turbo back exhaust, theres no way it should be creating that much smoke. Any other suggestions?