Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Diamond Eye 5" installation problems (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/diamond-eye-5-installation-problems-311702/)

jeephauler 04-23-2013 07:48 AM

Diamond Eye 5" installation problems

To anyone that has this system....does your tail pipe hang really low?

I am installing my turbo back single system and I am at the last tail pipe peice and it just hangs ridiculously low to the ground. If I put it on as it would be hanging half way between the bottom of the rear quarter panel and the ground. Everything is hung from the factory locations using the hangers provided by DE. The pipe runs parallel to the the frame rail all the way back to where the over the axle piece is. I installed a Donaldson on mine and the set up goes like this.....downpipe, 40" straight section, 51" Donaldson, 5" section (cut to get axle hump to line up over axle), over axle pipe, tailpipe. I welded a new hanger to the frame in the middle of the 40" straight section, have the 2 mount hanger (stock location) on the back of the Donaldson, and the last hanger (stock location) will be on the tailpipe.

freight train 04-23-2013 05:43 PM

I have a DE 5" with their muffler. I had to slightly heat and bend two of the provided hanger/clamps to use them. Mostly because I used 5" band clamps not to crimp the piping around the joints. Mine fits like a glove. Does the Donaldson muffler have have a staight in/straight out design?

jeephauler 04-24-2013 07:24 AM

Yes, straight in and out muffler. I can say that the DE tech has been great so far. After a good conversation on the phone they emailed me detailed install pics and asked me to do the same of mine and send to them to look at and maybe figure out what the problem is.

mykaos 04-25-2013 05:50 PM

On my 4'' I just did w/ a Banks muffler, ended up shorting the 1st tail pipe section (the one directly off the muffler) 4"-5" (can't remember exactly) which got the "hump" to sit directly center over the rear axle. I also ended up shorting the 2nd section 3"-4" to get the tail pipe to "tuck" just right. Muffler back was a lot of measure/cut/fit. Working on getting pics up right now.

mykaos 04-25-2013 06:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A continuation of my prior post:
After measuring, use tape of choice to use as a guide to cut. My pos rechargeable sawz all did the trick.

Attachment 54399

Every thing cleared, retained spare, got the "tuck" factor I wanted.

Attachment 54400

Attachment 54401

Sooooo much nicer with exhaust neat and "tucked". I allowed just about an 1" clearance (fat finger method of measurement [laugh]) between tip and body. If it rubs at that point: a. I really don't need to be there, or, b. I a lot bigger problem than a tip rubbing.

Attachment 54402

jeephauler 04-26-2013 09:24 AM

DE is working with me and they are sending me a new over axle pipe and tail pipe to see if maybe I got some wrong pieces in my kit. Something just seems off with the over axle pipe and tail pipe fitment. No way to move it up because its sitting on the hangers provided and the rest of the system is running right in line with the frame all the way back.