3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

The Definitive Howto: 04.5-05 Tc Lockup Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem man. Glad I could help.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by sticky
Wiring diagrams and pin # can be found here -
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

Just a thought ....

Instead of a manual switch it might be worth using a relay with a holding circuit tied into a momentary switch. This way tou can wire it into the brake light circuit and have the relay drop out and reset to normal operation when the brakes are applied then just tap the button for lockup again when needed. Only time you are really gonna want to maintain lockup anyway is when towing a heavy load and tranny temps are of concern. If you are using TC lockup for exhaust brakes this can easily be wired in parallel with the relay to maintain lock up even when the brakes are applied.

BTW - What happens if you accidentally activate lockup in park. Nothing I assume....right??? The relay method would also eliminate accidentally having the TC locked up while shifting from park to drive because you have to step on the brake and it would shut off.

Any thoughts?
So I read all 17 pages of this write up (great info)

And Don’s excellent write up:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=159177

I installed mine years ago, and I love it, but I always for get to turn it off!!

I really like the idea above, way back on page 3. I would leave my toggle swicth wired in parallel, for use durring braking, and theft protection. Some times when I park I apply the lock up switch. If a thief were to put it in drive, it would die, he would have a hard time figuring out what was going on.

So has anyone done this?

Where do I get the switch?

Wiring diagram please?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Lock up switch

Heres what I did.
I never use the tow haul switch because without the lockup engaged it only make the transmission run hotter.
I then decided to put that handy little button to better use!
I went and dug out 2 relays, one single pole ( 5 terminals ) and one 2 pole ( 8 terminals )
The first one is just activated by the brake lights so every time you touch the brakes it will click.
I use the normal closed contact of that relay in a holding curcuit on the second relay.
The second relay is activated by the tow haul switch and is held on by the first set of its contacts using the normal open and hooked in series with the normal closed of the brake relay.
So now you can activate the 2 pole relay with the tow haul button and it will stay on untill you touch the brake.
Now for the second set of contacts on that 2 pole relay you just wire a 33 ohm resister to ground on normal open terminal and common goes to the yellow/light blue on pin 7 of the transmission.
The tow haul wires are very easy to get at on the right side of the steering colum.
You cut the dark green wire and then use the end coming from the switch to run the relay.
Works great, looks good and fool proof!
If someone wants to make a sticky or something maybe I could go into paint or something and make up a wiring diagram to add to this!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:50 PM

Does anybody know if this switch will work on a 99? I did mine and a buddies on his 03 no prob and the 99 has the same plug with pin# 7 but the relays are different. So I tried the 33 ohm resister and nothing happens when you flip the switch. Any ideas? Does it have to be hooked up different?

2005 2500 QCLB 4x4. Banks ram air, banks technicooler, banks high ram, bullydog powerpup, silencer ring MIA, 4" straight pipe, home made TC lock up switch