3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch gone

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch gone

I have an 03 that the clutch has gone out on. I have already purchased a new
South Bend clutch. I have done all the upgrades myself and I think I can do this too. I need to know how hard is it to install myself and is there a web site that has the tear down procedure and reinstall procedure?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you do the solit flywheel conversion? Or are you using your factory dual-mass flywheel? Just curious. The only difference that will make is when you reinstall it, it will be different (and easier) if you did the solid flywheel. I'm sure you can find pics, but here is a basic description of the job. It's really not bad.

***let me say this*** if you have access to a good transmission jack, then use it!!! That makes more difference than anything!!

First, if your truck is a 2wd, then you probably want to raise it as high as you can and put the frame on good solid jack stands. The more room you have to work, the better.

I start with the interior. Just remove everything you need to get the shifter(s) out. Remove the shifter and shift tower (4 small bolts on top of the trans). Put a rag over the hole or tape it up to keep dirt out!

After that, basically, start by taking off everything that's in the way - Driveshafts (front one too if it's 4wd), Transfer case (if 4wd)

When you take the crossmember out from under the tranny, its time to put the jack under it.

Disconnect the vacuum lines and wires from the trans.

Once everthing's free, start taking bolts out of the bellhousing. I always leave a couple in it (leave the 2 easiest ones to get to). You'll have to get a few of the highest bolts from the engine compartment.

I forgot to mention that it's beneficial to remove the exhaust and downpipe, but not completely necessary. I like to remove mine.

Before you take the last bolts out, use a small jack and block of wood and put it under the front of the engine - this keeps it from dropping down when you remove the trans.

Now take out the last bolts and slide the trans out.

To remove the clutch, there is a small plate on the front of the bellhousing adapter on the right side (2 small bolts). There are several bolts around the flywheel that you remove from the front side through the hole. I think there are 6 or 8 maybe. After that, take out the 6 bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft and that's it!

I'm sure I've forgotten something and hopefully others will chime in w/ more advice. It's really not a bad job. The hardest part is getting the trans stabbed back through the clutch. Be gentle - you don't want to warp it. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What he said ^^ Except the part about a DMF, The NV5600 uses a Solid Flywheel. DMF started with the G56 Trans...
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oops.... my bad!! Then it's even easier!!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the help! When I get done I let you know how it went.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up Great tutorial...one clarification.

The part about putting the block of wood and jack in front of the engine before removing the last bolt. I believe he meant...put the block of wood and jack under the rear of the engine, in front of the transmission, because that's the end that will drop when the transmission is pulled out. My apologies if I mis-understood the instruction.