3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Exhaust Manifold

2005 CTD. Stock except for tuner, BHAF & exhaust. Factory exhaust manifold is cracked, but not yet leaking. I need to replace sooner than later, but would like to upgrade manifold instead of replacing with a stock one. I have no interest in upgrading to twins. Truck is used to tow. Recommendations for new manifold? Thanks, Rip.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Ripster:

It doesn't surprise me that your exhaust manifold is cracked on your 2005 Dodge CTD CR. I have had almost every stock exhaust manifold on my five (5) Dodge CTD Pickups also crack. And I can tell you, the crack will get worse.

In my opinion the BEST replacement exhaust manifold for our 5.9 Cummins Engines right now is the one made by "Steed Speed." They are built very well and will stand up to ALOT of abuse! Here is a link so you can see what they look like:

3rd Gen Common Rail T-3 Flange

Now, I will tell you that they are not cheap! I would also recommend any of the aftermarket exhaust manifolds from "ATS Diesel." They have a three-piece manifold that is also built very well and I have had one on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve for over ten (10) years now. I think they offer a lifetime warranty on them also. Here is their website:

ATS Diesel Performance

You can also give Lary Ellis (Top) a call at our DTR Store (304) 952-6896.
lary will give you a good price on one.

Anyway, good luck Sir!

---------
John_P
The following users liked this post:
509Diesel (05-23-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 03:57 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ You will not get better info or advice than offered above.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by soulezoo
^^^ You will not get better info or advice than offered above.
-----------------------
Thanks so much for your kind words Sir! But,...you are also VERY good at helping our members with advice like this and like me you also have alot of "trial and error" with diesel performance parts etc.!
Old 04-12-2016, 04:29 PM

Thank you John for your prompt and informative reply. You have provided everything I needed hear. I will research your suggested vendors.

Rip
Old 04-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ripster
Thank you John for your prompt and informative reply. You have provided everything I needed hear. I will research your suggested vendors.

Rip
--------------
No problem Rip. Please let us know how you make out with getting a new manifold.

---------
John_P
Old 04-13-2016, 02:09 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
-----------------------
Thanks so much for your kind words Sir! But,...you are also VERY good at helping our members with advice like this and like me you also have alot of "trial and error" with diesel performance parts etc.!
Why thank you... I think I have had more errors that are trials...
Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sadly, the DTR store has been closed. I agree fully with John with the above advice. Either option is good.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:58 PM

Any notions of changing out the turbo best done at the same time as exhaust manifold? ...
Old 04-14-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
e-bay has a good selection of manifolds
Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Steedspeed makes real good stuff. Mine has been very good.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:58 PM

I went with a manifold from ATS and I am very pleased! Not much change in performance at WOT and higher RPM's, but a very noticeable improvement at partial throttle and lower RPM's. The turbo definitely spools up faster.

Was a fairly straight forward install. I had to pull the manifold and turbo as a single unit. Turbo bolts/studs were a bear. One of the turbo studs broke off and I had to weld a nut to it for removal. But all in all, a fairly easy driveway repair.

Thanks again for the advice!

Rip
Old 05-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ripster
I went with a manifold from ATS and I am very pleased! Not much change in performance at WOT and higher RPM's, but a very noticeable improvement at partial throttle and lower RPM's. The turbo definitely spools up faster.

Was a fairly straight forward install. I had to pull the manifold and turbo as a single unit. Turbo bolts/studs were a bear. One of the turbo studs broke off and I had to weld a nut to it for removal. But all in all, a fairly easy driveway repair.

Thanks again for the advice!

Rip
--------------
Rip:

Thanks for your reply and report on the ATS manifold!

I am glad to hear you are happy with it. You are right about those turbo bolts/studs as they are hard to get off. On all my Dodge CTD Pickups I changed the manifolds early, so I didn't have the rust/corrosion that can form there. But, they were still VERY tight!
Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 PM

I live in Southwest but I've always used Engine Performance Warehouse (EPW) for gaskets sets and manifolds. Not sure if they have many locations in the US or just out here in the West. Had good luck with pretty much everything I've gotten there over the years.

I used to be a strict OEM guy but you really can't go wrong with aftermarket these days from any of these big dealers. Quality has gotten much better. Like John P said, ATS is also a good outfit and do everything in house. Bought a turbo from them. No complaints whatsoever!