3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Clutches??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Bend here

Originally Posted by Midnite Warrior
I know there's going to be conflicting answers on this one. I tore my tranny up and clutch at the same time. Don't ask me how. Anyways the question is will a stock clutch hold in my truck with the upgrades i have? I've checked with different peolpe most of them said no; others have said yes. I do however tow trailers ranging from 5,000 lbs. to 30,000 lbs.
I have an 03 setup similiar to your truck and the stock clutch was not up to the task when hard acceleration and rowing through the gears was required to merge onto the highway with a 10 - 15K trailer. The clutch never failed but I sure could smell it if I had to be aggressive. Any other time the stock clutch was up to the task.

I installed a SBC OFE about 18 months ago and have been very happy with it, however I cannot speak of the other clutches out there. I performed the install myself with minimal problems. I also installed the upgraded hydraulics as the clutch spring pressure is higher and I was concerned about breaking the "ears" off the stock slave cylinder where it mounts to the transmission bell housing. As an afterthought I think I would have manufactured a 1/4 thick plate to install on the back side of the slave cylinder to prevent the flexing of the "ears" and possible breakage. Definitely have your flywheel resurfaced prior to installing the new clutch kit.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 PM

Well I got a Zoom 20231. I've had a lot of people tell me they were good. I had a SB clutch in there and put roughly 120,000 miles on it. The only problem was my tranny said no more and tore up the clutch disc facing the flywheel. Another reason I went with it was they could get it sooner than any other. I just haven't figured out what the 4 gold clips are for on the sides of it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'm finishing it up tomorrow. The next task is getting my turbo straightened out. It's not spooling up like it is supposed to. And it's not building boost like it's supposed to either.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
No brainwashing involved...Valair was banned because of their dishonest business practices, plain and simple but some people like Cheap Asian made steel I suppose
I know you dont like his business practices which is cool, but I can tell you it isnt cheap Asian steel. He makes a good product.

But to answer the question I have a South Bend Clutch Dual Disk 3250 and really enjoy it, I wouldnt recommend going with a single disk, stick with the dual disk especially if your towing. The dual disk can be slipped while a single isnt made to be slipped and its only around a hundred or so more dollars. The only gripe I have about mine it's slow shifting, but other than that it's a great clutch.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Hintz
I know you dont like his business practices which is cool, but I can tell you it isnt cheap Asian steel. He makes a good product.
I must be mistaken then, I assumed if a clutch plate is made in Asia then it is made of Asian steel which we all know is inferior or are you just not aware of who and what their products are made of?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 PM

... a 3250 is $300 more than a single disk OFE, there's no reason to have a DD for towing...
Old 01-11-2009, 04:34 PM

I personally like haisley clutches, usually you can find a pretty good deal on a used clutch around the for sale forums on here or comp d. There was a South Bend Dual Disc and a Haisley dual disc both going for around 1000 bucks over on comp d a little while back.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 AM

I must be mistaken then, I assumed if a clutch plate is made in Asia then it is made of Asian steel which we all know is inferior or are you just not aware of who and what their products are made of?
Listen Im not going to start a peeing match with you on this because with one click of your mouse Im out of here, but I can tell you he doesnt use China steel, and I can tell you this is a fact.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Hintz
Listen Im not going to start a peeing match with you on this because with one click of your mouse Im out of here, but I can tell you he doesnt use China steel, and I can tell you this is a fact.
Your information is incorrect, many of the parts are indeed Imported, it even say's so on their webpage. I know also that when one of their plates was tested for strength it bowed up like a horse shoe because it was so weak.

The same method is used by Southbend to test their own stuff and if any of their stuff performed that badly, it would be tossed in the trash instead of being sold to the customer.

There are lots of other countries in Asia that make these products and it is not necessarily China. The truth is out there and it is not that hard to locate.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 PM

I hate how every clutch thread on this site gets into these arguements. Im sure that no clutch company has a 100% US made product. The only advice I have for someone looking for a clutch is find one that suits your needs if your racing, slead pulling, towing or just your daily driver. Then hope it fits your budget. A clutch is only as good as the people who stand behind them.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Admin Team Leader

I think it is also VERY important to know you are buying something of Harbor Freight quality when you are lead to believe it is Snap On quality instead

A clutch is an expensive purchase and one should get the highest quality product possible to avoid having to replace it again prematurely. I talk to customers on a regular basis looking for a South Bend clutch to replace the inferior made "V" product they were talked into purchasing on another forum.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 AM

I think it is also VERY important to know you are buying something of Harbor Freight quality when you are lead to believe it is Snap On quality instead

A clutch is an expensive purchase and one should get the highest quality product possible to avoid having to replace it again prematurely. I talk to customers on a regular basis looking for a South Bend clutch to replace the inferior made "V" product they were talked into purchasing on another forum.
I agree, but I have never heard of the company that didnt make a product that didnt fail in one way or the other, being Smarty, South Bend, or Valair. That being said what makes a company good is how they handle their product which fails, whether they'll back their product and help you or tell you to stick it. On that note Peter is the best in the diesel business at this and I dont think anyone will argue that one bit, but the guys at Valair do treat there customers well. My buddy smoke Valair's big single sled pulling (you dont pull with a single) and Dan (I believe who he talk to) at Valair, upgraded him to a Dual Disk for next to nothing, IMO stand-up. And after one season his clutch is holding strong. So, to each there own, I guess is what Im saying.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I won't say Valair is a no-good company, but I wouldn't like someone secretly becoming a member of a forum they were once banned from and continuing to push a product without becoming an advertiser. With that, I wouldn't like it especially if that same person bashes a reputable company like SBC who has paid to advertise and who will help out even if it isn't their own clutch. To me it seems like Valair has proved to be sore losers at times, even if their clutches are good enough to be used.

To anyone that buys Valair, more power to ya, but I'd like to have someone who won't try to push me in one direction or the other or try to play a customer who loves their product when they actually are the company itself.

To me SBC has proved their worth simply by doing things the right way.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM

If you have to replace the clutch anyway, why replace it with a stock clutch? Spend the extra $$ and upgrade now, or you'll be kicking yourself the next time it goes out.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by rip 112
I won't say Valair is a no-good company, but I wouldn't like someone secretly becoming a member of a forum they were once banned from and continuing to push a product without becoming an advertiser. With that, I wouldn't like it especially if that same person bashes a reputable company like SBC who has paid to advertise and who will help out even if it isn't their own clutch. To me it seems like Valair has proved to be sore losers at times, even if their clutches are good enough to be used.

To anyone that buys Valair, more power to ya, but I'd like to have someone who won't try to push me in one direction or the other or try to play a customer who loves their product when they actually are the company itself.

To me SBC has proved their worth simply by doing things the right way.
Exactly...that is dishonest and any company doing that must be dishonest in other areas as well
Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Yes but how long ago was that Lary?
Maybe it's time to let it go..?

Quick Reply: Clutches??????