Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Bully Dog problem (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/bully-dog-problem-134368/)

jtnm 01-28-2007 05:54 PM

Bully Dog problem

I did a search on my problem but did not come up with anything.
The other day I needed to take my truck in to the dealer for some work so I decided I better take out the Download. Started to uninstall fine until it got to the initialization count down, it got to 1 then locked up. I let it set for 10 minutes. Nothing was happening so I unplugged to restart the process again but this time it says it is in recovery mode. It goes thru the process until it gets to the initialization countdown & locks up on 1. I called Bully Dogs tech support, they ran me thru the gammit. Then the truck would not start. They say I needed to take it to the dealer. Just when I thought I was going to have to tow it to the dealer I plugged the monitor back in the diag. port the truck starts now but unplugged it won't start. Called BD tech back I was dealing with told him plugging the monitor back in then it starts. They say it was impossible. The engineers say no way that makes sense.

Has this happened to any one with the BD Triple dog and is taking it to the dealer to reset the computer going to fix the problem?
Thanks in advance

moparmatt 01-28-2007 06:15 PM

i had a few problems with mine but i found out that i had just shorted out the outlook and the wiring that goes with it although my truck started when it was messed up just i had less than stock power so i took the out look out and put the original map sensor and stuff back on and it was good again so i reprogrammed the computer and left the outlook out and just waiting for some guages now.

973604x4 01-28-2007 06:32 PM

No problems ever here. I have programmed numerous trucks....

had one friend mess up a download by starting in the middle of the download...he called me over to his friend's place where he and his truck were....within 20 minutes Bullydog had us up and running again.

bekim 01-28-2007 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jtnm (Post 1324567)
The other day I needed to take my truck in to the dealer for some work so I decided I better take out the Download. Started to uninstall fine until it got to the initialization count down, it got to 1 then locked up. I let it set for 10 minutes. Nothing was happening so I unplugged to restart the process again but this time it says it is in recovery mode. It goes thru the process until it gets to the initialization countdown & locks up on 1. I called Bully Dogs tech support, they ran me thru the gammit. Then the truck would not start. They say I needed to take it to the dealer. Just when I thought I was going to have to tow it to the dealer I plugged the monitor back in the diag. port the truck starts now but unplugged it won't start. Called BD tech back I was dealing with told him plugging the monitor back in then it starts. They say it was impossible. The engineers say no way that makes sense.

Has this happened to any one with the BD Triple dog and is taking it to the dealer to reset the computer going to fix the problem?
Thanks in advance

Just a thought. Plugging and unplugging into the OBD II port can bend a pin by accident. Take a good look to see that all the pins are intact.
Mike

###

DODGE4X4 01-28-2007 08:32 PM

The dealer will be able to get you going again but your warranty will be toast. I would call BD again and see if they might be able to try something else.

KDIESEL 01-28-2007 09:24 PM

BD can send you a recovery code to fix this problem,Ive seen this several times,usually happens when dealer flashes truck with program in it,but ive seen it stop on initializing too,have you tried to put the program back in or try to return it to stock,sometimes playing with it will it get it to go too.Good Luck

bekim 01-29-2007 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by jtnm (Post 1324567)

Thanks in advance

BullyDog has flunkees they use for normal support, and technicians that work at the Aberdeen facility that wrote the support book. The flunkies know nothing about the product other than what the notebook in front of them says! The guys at the home office know it all! Push to get to those guys, don't waste time with the technical support people!!
Cheers
Mike
###

KDIESEL 01-29-2007 12:46 AM

most of the tech calls get routed somewhere that only gods knows where,I agree,STUPID call aberdeen,ask for clint he writes the recovery files,otherwise ask for justin pyne,hell take care of you.

jwb600 01-29-2007 03:00 AM

ive not had good luck getting ahold of ppl at bd. my triple dog keeps saying something about when my abs module went out. It went out right after the trk was programmed i dont know if it made the module go out or not. hasnt thrown a code, still runs fine

jwb600 01-29-2007 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by KDIESEL (Post 1325262)
most of the tech calls get routed somewhere that only gods knows where,I agree,STUPID call aberdeen,ask for clint he writes the recovery files,otherwise ask for justin pyne,hell take care of you.

its off the subject, but KDIESEL how do you like your tranny?

KDIESEL 01-29-2007 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jwb600 (Post 1325397)
its off the subject, but KDIESEL how do you like your tranny?

I love my tranny,dusty builds all my trannies,has for about 9 yrs now,dusty is a great friend and tranny builder,I would put my truck up for his products,stands behind his work 100% I might be bias but his product is #1 in my book.HTS all the way.

HeberRam 01-29-2007 10:36 AM

try this

jtmn, try this....disconnect the outlook monitor power source. next disconnect the map sensor. turn off all power ro radio, cell phone, fass pump,etc. anything drawing power when the key is on. Then sit in truck, shut doors, wait until interior lights go off and plug in BD into port. follow directions displayed on downloader. It should say in recover mode. follow instructions, and it should go . once the recover mode is completed, you need to take it back to stock.

let me know it worked.

jtnm 01-29-2007 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by HeberRam (Post 1325712)
jtmn, try this....disconnect the outlook monitor power source. next disconnect the map sensor. turn off all power ro radio, cell phone, fass pump,etc. anything drawing power when the key is on. Then sit in truck, shut doors, wait until interior lights go off and plug in BD into port. follow directions displayed on downloader. It should say in recover mode. follow instructions, and it should go . once the recover mode is completed, you need to take it back to stock.

let me know it worked.

Thanks guys for the responses, I checked the pins they look fine. BD tech gave me a code to force the vin number. I tried using a battery charger on the truck batteries to ensure good voltage. But why would does the truck not start with the Outlook Monitor not plugged in? Once I plug it in the truck starts. When the outlook is unplugged I try to cycle the key for any codes it does not even say done, but with outlook plugged in it will done if that helps. I have never had any problems with the BD until now, I have been really pleased with the performance it has added.

HeberRam I will try what you recommended next, know that you say that I do hear the pump.
Thanks again
jtnm

jtnm 01-30-2007 10:01 PM

HeberRam you are the man! Thanks a bunch!

I did what Heber recommended, it got me out of the recovery mode and was returned to stock fine but it still would not start until I have the monitor plugged in. The check engine light, ABS, and fuel light was on. I pugged the downloader in to clear the codes, it would not show any codes it would just say turn the key on. What I found out is I could clear the codes or redownload until I actually pulled the power wire to the Outlook monitor. Then the dowloader works fine to clear codes and what not. I did notice on the map sensor connector when I pulled the connector there was corrosion on the connector on the to middle pins more on the one closes to the drivers side.
What now??? Should I download the lastest version 2.25a and run it or call bullydog to see what they can figure out. Cause if I download the new version into the truck it seems like it would run like its suppose too. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the advice guys

jtnm

StrokeThisCTD 01-30-2007 10:48 PM

No problems with my triple dog. my power pup had a problem before and i called bullydog, they put me on hold. called them back told them i had an urgent problem and they sent me right to a tech support person. i had my truck started about 10 minutes later.