3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Black smoke w/ Smarty jr?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if anyone is looking to get rid of their smarty jr., let me know... interested in getting one.

also with the boost fooling, how high are you guys seeings your boost go?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
if anyone is looking to get rid of their smarty jr., let me know... interested in getting one.

also with the boost fooling, how high are you guys seeings your boost go?
I will be calling about returning mine today, if they will not let me I'll shoot you a pm. I'm torn because I really like the product and it's not that I'm unhappy with it's performance. It's just that I feel like a 16 yr old that drives around dumping smoke whenever and wherever he gets the chance. I expected some smoke, but I only expected it to smoke under a hard load or hard acceleration, not when pulling out of my driveway or taking off from a stoplight.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by coolslice
I will be calling about returning mine today, if they will not let me I'll shoot you a pm. I'm torn because I really like the product and it's not that I'm unhappy with it's performance. It's just that I feel like a 16 yr old that drives around dumping smoke whenever and wherever he gets the chance. I expected some smoke, but I only expected it to smoke under a hard load or hard acceleration, not when pulling out of my driveway or taking off from a stoplight.
yea i know what you mean. did you try the beta software?

has anyone tried the beta software? bob, whats the difference between orig jr tune and the beta jr tune?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
yea i know what you mean. did you try the beta software?

has anyone tried the beta software? bob, whats the difference between orig jr tune and the beta jr tune?
I sent Bob my email as requested and never heard anything back from him. It looks like some others here have tried the beta software and couldn't tell a difference. I think it's in my best interest to just leave it as is and see about sending it back. If I start jacking with the software and it doesn't work then I'm really stuck with it because it has been altered.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by coolslice
I sent Bob my email as requested and never heard anything back from him. It looks like some others here have tried the beta software and couldn't tell a difference. I think it's in my best interest to just leave it as is and see about sending it back. If I start jacking with the software and it doesn't work then I'm really stuck with it because it has been altered.
pm me the price you bought it at... i want one, bad. i miss my smarty, but never used all the setting so i want this little booger.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by checkster
maybe mines different. mines honestly doesnt smoke at all..........unless i want it to. normal driving you couldnt even tell. now if i stand on it and try to make it i will come out pretty good. i have an auto so lugging it really isnt in the equation or the tranny will just downshift
checkster,
I found my jr the same as yours. I'm after good milage and if I need it to get along it will. Mine would smoke in stock form if I stood on it and it might do it a bit more with the smarty but like I said MPG is my goal but owning a sleeper is fun also!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know how you guys feel about the smoke but I get great fuel mileage with my Smarty S06. It does smoke some if I get on it too hard but I could care less because my fuel mileage is way up and it runs slicker than snot and my EGT's are great.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have tried both beta versions as well.. The first one was no difference... the second is about 30% of the smoke of the standard software...The amount of smoke is the same, but the color isn't as black... I still want less.... I have emailed Bob and Marco about my findings and haven't heard back in a couple of weeks..... I also had an issue with my radio and ignition switch (not turning off with the key and beeping like the key was still in) that disappeared as soon as I went back to stock software, where I am now....

I really like the power and EGT's of my Smarty Jr, I have no intentions of getting rid of it, but the smoke is annoying on a fuel economy setting...

My dad has an 06 6speed and smokes like I do.... We are wondering what this is doing to the cat, and when its going to get plugged and then burn thru...
Old 05-13-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id
I have tried both beta versions as well.. The first one was no difference... the second is about 30% of the smoke of the standard software...The amount of smoke is the same, but the color isn't as black... I still want less.... I have emailed Bob and Marco about my findings and haven't heard back in a couple of weeks..... I also had an issue with my radio and ignition switch (not turning off with the key and beeping like the key was still in) that disappeared as soon as I went back to stock software, where I am now....

I really like the power and EGT's of my Smarty Jr, I have no intentions of getting rid of it, but the smoke is annoying on a fuel economy setting...

My dad has an 06 6speed and smokes like I do.... We are wondering what this is doing to the cat, and when its going to get plugged and then burn thru...
bump, any idea what kinda boost this will hit with the supposed boost fooler. does it even have a boost fooler?

also ah6 i saw you had an 05 and it caused a couple issues with door dings and stuff... how so?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:54 PM

I have seen 34psi in with SW#1, thats what my dad has seen on his 06 as well... The Smarty Jr disables the wastegate...

I am not 100% sure the beta software affected the door ding and stereo, but it only happens with the beta software installed, but didn't happen for the first 5 days with the software. I am back at stock software right now and haven't messed with the Jr for a while.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:20 PM

ah64id said: " I also had an issue with my radio and ignition switch (not turning off with the key and beeping like the key was still in) that disappeared as soon as I went back to stock software, where I am now..."

It's possible that you forgot to turn the radio off when you installed or re-programmed the Smarty. I did that once and since the computer controls everything on an '06, it thought off was on and on was off for a while. I think it'll do the same things to interior lights or anything else you leave on when the instructions say to have them turned off.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 PM

No because I have an 05 and I don't beleive the stereo is controled like the 06 stereo.. That and it took several days for it to start acting up, same with the key in ignition buzzer....

It worked like this. I would turn the truck off, take the key out and open the door... For 4-5 seconds the stereo would play, and for 8-10 seconds the buzzer would sound... Did that for an entire day, every time I turned the key off... Went back to stock software same day and went back to normal... Was it the Smarty???? But it was aweful coincidental... I also had two occasions on the beta software where the fast idle wouldn't engage.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id
No because I have an 05 and I don't beleive the stereo is controled like the 06 stereo.. That and it took several days for it to start acting up, same with the key in ignition buzzer....

It worked like this. I would turn the truck off, take the key out and open the door... For 4-5 seconds the stereo would play, and for 8-10 seconds the buzzer would sound... Did that for an entire day, every time I turned the key off... Went back to stock software same day and went back to normal... Was it the Smarty???? But it was aweful coincidental... I also had two occasions on the beta software where the fast idle wouldn't engage.
yes I noticed the High idle thing but it happens on the orig. software as well. It's a technique thing, you just have to wait a few seconds before engaging the CC, then it works .
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Hmm... never noticed it before... I had been idling for 2 minutes the other day, after having the truck running for 2 hours and it wouldn't go in... even shutting it off and trying again... Then 20 minutes later at home it worked.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 PM

weird huh.

Quick Reply: Black smoke w/ Smarty jr?