3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Black smoke w/ Smarty jr?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a thread with some more info on the subject, I even have a video in there for your comparison.

All runs were on lvl3.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t=Smarty+video
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM

the 03/04 dont smoke because the injector tips dont spray as much as the new trucks thats why i am getting bigger
Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 PM

mine smokes but its controllable with the loud pedal. i run the economy (b/c my clutch wont hold the rest) but the smoke was heavier on the higher settings. on the economy one, i can roll it pretty heavy in the low gears if i want to.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM

I have tried Both betas and it STILL smokes the same. Might as well wait till Marcos gets it right.. Just my 2 cents.. (tow setting)
Old 05-06-2008, 01:30 PM

I just put the Smarty Jr on my 04.5. A lot more smoke the I was expecting and not as much power. The TST felt much stronger to me, and that was before the Sun Coast.

There's WAAAAY too much smoke on level 3, level 2 is slightly better. I have not driven the truck enough yet to decide if I like the Jr. or not yet. At this point I'm up in the air about whether or not this was money well spent.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Interesting. I have mine on level 3 right now (curiosity hopefully doesn't kill my trans) and I swear it's less smoke than #1 under normal driving.
That said, you CAN make a big puff if you want to by stabbing the pedal.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM

im tempted to buy a smarty jr, but if its smokes as much as you all are saying maybe i should hold off. i had the smarty s-04,s old it cause i didnt use all the settings it offered. i installed a aftermarket FP, and downloaded a aftermarket turbo/stock injector software and it kinda killed most the smoke. if bobs beta programs arent cutting the smoke, makes me wonder just how much more it will smoke with an aftermarket lp. anyone running it with a boost fooler?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
I do have a beta program to test to lower the smoke, shoot me an email address.

LOL........no thanks Bob
Old 05-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
im tempted to buy a smarty jr, but if its smokes as much as you all are saying maybe i should hold off. i had the smarty s-04,s old it cause i didnt use all the settings it offered. i installed a aftermarket FP, and downloaded a aftermarket turbo/stock injector software and it kinda killed most the smoke. if bobs beta programs arent cutting the smoke, makes me wonder just how much more it will smoke with an aftermarket lp. anyone running it with a boost fooler?
Keep in mind that I have only had my Jr. for about 5 hours now, but IT SMOKES. I have it on level 2 right now and I can blow out a black cloud at idle with just a real quick half throttle rev. At level 2 while driving, if I'm on the pedal, it's smoking. I will say that the power is not as noticable as I thought, but it's there.

I think I'm going to load level one for now. I don't mind the smoke, but I don't really like to be driving down the street at 35 mph with my tailpipe hazing up the entire street. It's just poor manners.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
RRC

I just ordered a jr. from Bob. I am not liking all this talk about smoke during normal driving conditions. I especially don't want soot all over the front/side of my 5er! hmmmm...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 PM

It seems that some rigs smoke more than others, and some object more than others. Mine dose not smoke under normal driving. If I am aggressive with the throttle it will puff, or at night I can see a haze under hard acceleration in the headlights of other cars for a short time, cause they aren't back there for long, cause I'm gone.

The smarty jr boost fools. No need for a boost fooler. A LP shouldn't make a difference.

My white trailer had no smoke stains on it after our last 1200 mile trip.

Don't let this smoke issue discourage you unless you can't stand any smoke, then keep your rig stock.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
RRC

Not that the smoke will bother me, as long as I can control it. It's the thought of ALL the time that worries me. Good to hear that the trailer had no soot, what setting did you have it on?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by RRC
Not that the smoke will bother me, as long as I can control it. It's the thought of ALL the time that worries me. Good to hear that the trailer had no soot, what setting did you have it on?

I wish you luck. All I can tell you is that the Jr. on my truck smokes more on level 2 then my TST did on level 9/9. Level 3 was just rediculous IMO. If I was more computer savy, I'd post some video.

On the positive side, I think my truck really likes the Jr. It seems to run smoother and it's very easy to use. The jury is still out on any mileage gains, which is probably the primary reason I bought it.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i tow on level 2 no smoke on the trailer on 1200 mile pull i am ease on the throttle until it spools up and no black smoke, i am going to wait a little longer before i download a fix give bob and Marty a little More time to get it fixed
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 PM

if the jr boost fools what kinda of numbers are you seeing? i was unaware of it boost fooling. can someone pm me what bobs selling these for?

Quick Reply: Black smoke w/ Smarty jr?