Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Bigger injectors??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/bigger-injectors-326867/)

saggonwaggon91 12-24-2016 08:04 AM

Bigger injectors???

I don't know if this has been covered before but, is there any way to tell if my injectors are bigger than stock without pulling them out? I bought this truck with 19600 miles on it and know it had mods before I got it but they pulled everything off before they sold it. When I picked it up it had a pyro gauge in the pillar with the wires ran but no probe and the manifold wasn't drilled for one. All the exhaust manifold gaskets looked new. A couple bolts were gone from the intake plate(where most tie in for a boost gauge), a K&N open filter, and an older BD timing control box w/boost fooler. Other than the open exhaust, these are the only mods I can find.
My problem is, whether I'm loaded or empty, engine temp wants to come up pretty quick if I get on it any more than 1/2 throttle. It'll run up to about 220-230 and not think twice. Light driving and cruising it'll do good to hit the 200 mark. Radiator is clean, new 195 thermostat, coolant is full and fresh....I've unhooked the timing box and no change. Truck don't smoke but maybe a puff when I really get on it. My last 05 was doing good to hit 210deg with a 15000lb trailer and it had an automatic and was bone stock.
Sorry about the long post but would like to get this figured out before I hook to something over 6000lbs...
2005 3500 4x4 nv5600 3.73s

johnh 12-24-2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by saggonwaggon91 (Post 3317955)
I don't know if this has been covered before but, is there any way to tell if my injectors are bigger than stock without pulling them out? I bought this truck with 19600 miles on it and know it had mods before I got it but they pulled everything off before they sold it. When I picked it up it had a pyro gauge in the pillar with the wires ran but no probe and the manifold wasn't drilled for one. All the exhaust manifold gaskets looked new. A couple bolts were gone from the intake plate(where most tie in for a boost gauge), a K&N open filter, and an older BD timing control box w/boost fooler. Other than the open exhaust, these are the only mods I can find.
My problem is, whether I'm loaded or empty, engine temp wants to come up pretty quick if I get on it any more than 1/2 throttle. It'll run up to about 220-230 and not think twice. Light driving and cruising it'll do good to hit the 200 mark. Radiator is clean, new 195 thermostat, coolant is full and fresh....I've unhooked the timing box and no change. Truck don't smoke but maybe a puff when I really get on it. My last 05 was doing good to hit 210deg with a 15000lb trailer and it had an automatic and was bone stock.
Sorry about the long post but would like to get this figured out before I hook to something over 6000lbs...
2005 3500 4x4 nv5600 3.73s

sounds like the po put the original manifold back on. maybe had a different turbo

saggonwaggon91 12-24-2016 09:41 AM

That was my thought as well. I am wondering if it has over-stock injectors. Not sure if it does due to the lack of smoke but it sure seems like it wants to heat up like it's not getting enough air...

2-Stroke 12-25-2016 10:50 PM

To baseline it, I would put a new water pump on it to start and then make sure you burp the coolant at the thermostat... maybe you have an air bubble.

Chip 02-15-2017 12:33 PM

check your engine fan clutch

saggonwaggon91 02-15-2017 12:37 PM

It's the adjustable timing box I have on the truck. I found that if it's set to high, I'll start warming up under load..