Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Bed rails need some protection...any suggestions? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/bed-rails-need-some-protection-any-suggestions-76678/)

PapaPerk 08-31-2005 10:42 AM

Bed rails need some protection...any suggestions?

Howdy,

Looking to purchase something to protect the top of my bed rails. Anyone have any suggestions? I know there are some covers that stick on. Not for sure how well these work though. I do not want to drill into the bed if at all possible. But I do want something rugged and long lasting. Excellent quality is a must. :)

Thanks for any advice. :D

dgibbs 08-31-2005 10:48 AM

Can't really make a suggestion of what to use, but can tell you than I have the Bushwacker rail covers and did not like them. Ended up taking them off altogether. I have seen some trucks with Wade and they looked a lot better than the BushWacker's I had.

hognutz 08-31-2005 11:02 AM

are you opposed to just spray liner? All of the bedcaps I have ever had needed to be mounted. that is why I like the spray bedliners.

someone might make and adhesive solution but am not sure if I would like that or not.

TAS05CTD610 08-31-2005 11:52 AM

I liked the Bushwacker rail caps. I called them and told them they were bowing and commiong off, and they sent me new tape. The instructions tell you to put the tape on a different way than the caps come with. Mine have stayed on fine since then. I think it was a tape issue. I love the plastic ones, take a beating and still look great year around.

schorb 08-31-2005 12:20 PM

Even if you didn't want a spray-in liner, I know they can just spray the bed rails alone. If you don't wanna do that, I would recommend using the rail caps made out of either aluminum or steel.
I had an 01 Chevy step bed that came with factory plastic bed caps and they were worthless. The sticky wore off and they would flap in the wind as I drove down the road. Metal bed caps don't flap!!

Sam Strano 08-31-2005 01:38 PM

I chose Wade smooth caps on my truck. They fit very well, just like the in-channel wind deflectors I have from Wade.

As long as you prep the surface right (which is simple) the 3M tape sticks very well. I've never had any come loose.

P.J 08-31-2005 01:41 PM

I got the Diamond Plate joints on mine, love em.
They bolt on to the inside bedrail, but probably should have used some 3M tape to keep them from chaffing the paint.
See my gallery

Donsram 08-31-2005 02:48 PM

I use smooth stainless steel. This is the second truck that I've put them on and they are great.

mikmaze 08-31-2005 04:05 PM

nother vote for diamond plate.... last truck had them, this one got them real fast.

wap 08-31-2005 04:54 PM

I just put a set from summit on mine and am pretty happy with em, only been on about a week but so far so good, they fit good and to me look good. I got the ribbed ones with steak pockets, the two rail and tail gate cover was a little over 90 bucks shipped to me.

MikeyB 08-31-2005 05:14 PM

Running the DeeZee diamond plated protectors. They use both 3M tape and bolts to hold in place.

MikeyB

hovisimo 08-31-2005 06:00 PM

line-x works for mine.

chrome bedrails [yuk] [yuk] [yuk] imo ;)

PapaPerk 09-01-2005 01:06 PM

Originally posted by hovisimo
line-x works for mine.

chrome bedrails [yuk] [yuk] [yuk] imo ;)

Yeah I am not sure I like em' either. I will have to think about it.

Thank you everyone for your advice! :D