3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BD Inter-cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update

I just returned from my month long trip on Friday. Yesterday I started unpacking my household goods........so of course I dug out my invoice showing I purchased a BD inter-cooler. The purchase was from Xtreme Diesel in 2008. Right now I am still unpacking but I know I have the install invoice from Garmon Diesel showing he installed it around 2009-10. If you look at my deployment dates and other dates I was gone I would put the approximate miles on this inter-cooler around 12,000-15,000 and more than likely less. I betcha the invoice from Garmon Diesel has the miles written down on it.

So now that I have proof that I purchased this BD inter-cooler does this help my cause or do I need to also get the install invoice? If I send the invoices to BD can I black out my credit card and other personal info or will that cause concern? Now that I have the invoice does it really matter or is this a lost cause?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just curious but it seems as if you purchased the intercooler and then had it installed 1 to 2 years later correct?

If so, then most warranties are from the purchase date, not the in service date.

IE, you purchase a brand new truck, and let it sit in the drive unused for 2 years. The 3yr/30k warranty is not going to start when you start using the truck, its from when you purchased it.

Im afraid you may be out of luck on this one, manufacturers defect or not.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:31 PM

That is correct. I slowly bought parts as I could afford them and then slowly got them installed as well.

As far as warranty goes, I understand at this point the inter-cooler is past warranty. I expect that eventually my BD Turbos etc will need replaced, tires, etc. What I don't expect is that an inter-cooler will need to be replaced as quickly as this one since it is not something that needs regular servicing. Clearly this is a manufacturer defect so I was hoping BD would step up and replace it.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by partisan1911
That is correct. I slowly bought parts as I could afford them and then slowly got them installed as well.

As far as warranty goes, I understand at this point the inter-cooler is past warranty. I expect that eventually my BD Turbos etc will need replaced, tires, etc. What I don't expect is that an inter-cooler will need to be replaced as quickly as this one since it is not something that needs regular servicing. Clearly this is a manufacturer defect so I was hoping BD would step up and replace it.
Understood. Hopefully you get some help with it.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Understood. Hopefully you get some help with it.
I doubt it. BD has been pretty clear about it so far.
It's out of date even if it was a faulty product.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Rik

Originally Posted by Hector-BD
Further to this case, he claims to have purchased it within “a year or so” (and we all know how fast time can fly) our records indicate we have not manufactured an intercooler with welded seems in over 3 years, all of our Cool-it Intercoolers have cast aluminum end caps so you can see why my claims department are reluctant to replace it under our one year warranty period without a copy of his invoice.

Regards,
Hector
Hector,

According to your written word, BD changed the end caps, why? Other claims from bad/faulty welds? I'm betting so. Not so sure I would trust a reply from DB at this point.

It's a defect in workmanship, I'd replaced ASAP, I don't care about the cost due to reputation alone. But BD stands on its warranty to not replace a defect BD incurred.

Reputation. Today, That's all you have. You're digging yourself in deeper. Want a warranty sheet of paper for a probably known defect that is possibly being hidden.. I get it. (like a recall according to the big boys)

At this point, I wont buy a BD product. I'm not taking a chance on a product that has now shown to be of a poor constructed product.

OH, and btw,, he goes by partisan1911, not, to the "person with the intercooler".
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

E-mail me the invoice, and I will get working on this again, How long till your next deployment so I know how little of a time frame I have to work within.

Regards,
Hector
Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I linked here from a BD trans pressure booster thread and would like to input my thoughts.

I was a customer service rep for a small construction company ($500 million / year) that builds hospitals. We had a lifetime warranty on our buildings. It wasn't written, but if there was a problem we caused we took care of it. Sometimes these problems were pretty dang large, like spec'ing the wrong water booster pump which caused large copper lines to cavitate and wear out after 15 - 20 years. What did we do? The repair would cost a fortune with tearing out copper supply lines (2" and 3") and putting in new water booster pumps in an operating facility....

We did what was right. We replaced the damaged pipes and gave the owner new pumps. Even though the official warranty paper said we have a one year warranty, how can anyone see they made a mistake and then hide behind a 'warranty'???

This is when I learned how to run a business. I learned more than I did in college about maintaining a reputation by doing the right thing.

My take is: BD put out a clearly dysfunctional product. The problem is not a supplier's or an installer's. This is a workmanship issue and they should make amends quickly and humbly.

I'm actually sorry I saw this thread because I wanted a BD pressure booster for my Goerend trans, but I sure won't risk dealing with a company that doesn't do what is right.

At the end of the day, there is 'the right thing to do' and there is 'technically what a company can legally get away with'. You get to decide which companies you deal with.

I deal with companies that do the right thing.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 PM

So I emailed the invoice to Hector and the response is the best they could do was sell me another inter-cooler at a reduced price. I don't think I want to spend another $1000 on a BD product that may not perform? I can fix the one I have but almost all the welds have a crack in them so I would basically be re-welding the entire thing. Who has the best price on a reliable inter-cooler that can handle the whopping 50psi I throw at it?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Sorry for your troubles.

He must be out of his mind though if he thinks you should buy another one. This one shouldn't have failed and it's blantently a poor weld issue. Unreal...

As a side note, it's really not that hard to have fixed. Yes it's alot of welding, but it's easy welding too. I'd just take it to a local welding or fab shop. Anyone can tig that in no time. It'll be the cheapest way out and you gotta pull it no matter which direction you take.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 PM

I have a miller 210 mig at home, I may try turning it down and fixing it myself. I still plan on buying a new one to install before I deploy.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Wow, just wow. Put your stocker back in and run it, as long as it's the cooler with metal tanks instead of plastic. If not, buying an OEM cooler with metals tanks is still better than the POS they sold you. Not to mention, cheaper. I wouldn't even trust a new one if they gave it to me for free.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by partisan1911
I have a miller 210 mig at home, I may try turning it down and fixing it myself. I still plan on buying a new one to install before I deploy.
I'm willing to bet that if you talked to the Maintenance CWO or one of the maintenance guys at the aviation facility they could point you at a good TIGer. You're way past the point of wrestling with BD to do the right thing. Time to cut your losses and have someone weld it the right way. Swap out the BD for your stocker and have it repaired while you're deployed. I switched to a Sig P220 but still have a soft spot for the M1911.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 AM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow !!! Interesting reading. I don't mean to bring this issue up after all that has been said on this thread but I'm in the market for an Intercooler and started doing my homework on various brands and was interested in purchasing the BD Intercooler.

I can tell you this that maybe they have corrected their mistakes on the intercooler design/build but I can't take a chance on it breaking & downtime, and can't afford to waste $1,000 + and to read and watch/wait for customer service to address the issue is shocking.

I guess I'll just have to pass on BD and start researching other brands like HTT, Spearco, ect... Maybe I'll just go with a stock intercooler.

Note: Again, I'm not trying to start a fight after all that was said in this thread its just that this website and threads are a great resource when we want to research issues, vendors, parts and then we make a decision based on the research and common sense.

Thx
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow just wow, my brother had a htt intercooler that cracked at the lower tank welds to the core. it went un-noticed for 2+ years due to minimal driving, way out of warranty. it wasnt even a discussion on the phone. he was told by htt to get it back to them for inspection, a little over 2 weeks later he had a replacement and was up and running and was only out the shipping back to htt.

Ive recieved the same service from Brice thomas radiators and intercoolers on a jeep radiator that i purchased 18 months prior to installing it in the project, realized the lower neck was welded at too steep of an angle. same kind of service sent it back they took care of the repair N/C.

All of us in business recognize and understand the limitations of the taillights and timelines but physical failures visably due to manufacturing flaws have been something that event he lumber industry has to address years after installation

Quick Reply: BD Inter-cooler