Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Battery question (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/battery-question-284874/)

Mexstan 02-03-2011 07:49 AM

Battery question

The batteries in my truck are original. Build date, 12 / 02. They have never been exposed to anything less than just a few degrees below freezing except for a few hours at a time. At the moment they spin the starter like new. How much more life can I expect out of them before they give trouble?

Reason I am asking is that batteries down here are a bit more expensive than north of the border. I will probably go up to Texas again in April or May and am wondering if it is wise preventive maintenance move to change them then, or wait until they start giving a problem. I have noticed that on one battery there appears to be liquid oozing out of one terminal as it is damp on top of the battery around that terminal. Can't get the caps off to check for level. Is there a trick to get the caps off without breaking them?

Silverstreak 02-03-2011 07:54 AM

They are sealed batteries. Better to replace soon then have one die in the middle of nowhere.

.boB 02-03-2011 09:42 AM

9 year old batteries are well past ther service life. Now one is leaking. You're driving on borrowed time. The problem is, when a battery goes, it goes fast. Especially if the weather should turn colder. Once that happens, you're pretty much stuck.

Sealed liquid batteries are not really sealed. You can usually pry the caps off and check the fluid level in each cell. Since yours is leaking, I would do that. If the plates get exposed, you'll lose a cell really quick, and you won't be able to bring it back to life.

They used to sell battery acid in the parts store. I havn't looked for any lately, so I don't know if they still do.

rocketmike 02-03-2011 10:00 AM

Excessive heat also kills a battery. I sell parts for a living and we sell lots of batteries when you get a cold snap and an equal amount when the weather turns hot.

ssandlin 02-03-2011 12:26 PM

With batteries that old, you are definitely running on borrowed time, at least in my experience. I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance, that way I choose the time and place to replace parts, not the other way around!

El Borrego 02-03-2011 03:55 PM

Batteries

My batteries were just changed out this past Dec. They were original from 2003. Started noticing the engine was weak in starting. When I changed them out the engine spun like it was a new truck. The Auto Zone store replaced them for me. When they took one battery out the top started caving in. Salesman said that this was a sure sign the battery was gone, it eats up the top from the inside. I'd say you were over due for two new batteries. As mentioned in an earlier reply, when they fail they fail. You are lucky to have some prior notice of them going bad. Leaking fluid is a definite sign. Just whip out a couple hundred dollars and feel more secure.

Mexstan 02-03-2011 05:16 PM

Thank you everybody for your answers. I had pretty well figured out that I needed to throw these batteries out, but did not want to spend the money. You have convinced me that on my next trip north to get new batteries.
Now to start reading the battery threads and figure out which ones to buy and where.

ChrisJohnson 02-03-2011 08:08 PM

If you want the same kind of life out of your next set, go with Odyssey batteries, or the Odyssey re-branded Odyssey/Diehard Platinums Sears puts out. A little more expensive, and a better/longer warranty, but too me, worth the price.

wyoburner 02-03-2011 09:58 PM

I got eleven full years out of the factory batteries in my '98.5. Thats eleven years of -25*F Wyoming winters and 100*F Wyoming summers. Call me Lucky

CatDiesel_762 02-04-2011 10:39 PM

Go to parts store and have them load test the batteries. That way you are not wasting money on new batteries when your old ones will do just fine. I have gotten the same as Wyoburner out of some batteries, while others lately have been going out in under a year. I would stay away from the Die Hards I had two Gold 84 Mth batteries in a 1976 and 1986 Truck not hold a charge or pass a load test with less than 30 days to 13 mths on them.

Shawn

CatDiesel_762 02-04-2011 10:46 PM

By the way the charging systems were practically new. with new wires, cables, and alternator.

Shawn

Rednecktastic 02-04-2011 11:10 PM

I read some place you can get the same batteries at the dealership for like $75 a pop.

I use the Sears Die Hard Platinums instead, I felt like spending money that week.

wyoburner 02-04-2011 11:34 PM

I should have added that I only got about 2 years out of my '06 batteries before I had eletctrical problems, the lights were acting funny and the door locks would cycle for no apparent reason. Changed the batteries and no problems at all since then. I think that was summer time a 2 years ago.

Brad5502 10-11-2011 09:35 PM

Mine 2003 stock batt's just went out on a camping trip this weekend. No warning, always started great.

Monday I put in Optima RedTops...starts fine now. Hope these last 8 years.

CD in NM 10-11-2011 10:07 PM

My 2006 batteries just started leaking, going with Odyssey 1750's or the Sears Plat 2's. They are the same battery, just different cases for labeling purposes. Both hae a good warranty. I would have gone with the 3100 group, but I wanted to keep the battery blanket, it does keep the engine heat out of the battery.

CD