3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any advice on OEM dash switches??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice on OEM dash switches??

Hello-

I have a 2004 3500 Laramie and I am trying to add some lights to a headache rack in the back and bumper in the front. For switching, I was hoping to use the two empty slots between the heated seat slots on the dash. I had thought it would be pretty simple to find some OEM looking switches to put in the spaces where the blanks are. Turns out I am striking out royally. I have searched all over the web and also called the dealer and haven't found anything yet.

Does anyone know if what I am trying to do it possible or those type of switches exist? Reading on the 4th gens, guys were saying that the entire assembly is one unit on those years and you can't pop out single switches.

The attached pic shows the area I am trying to put the switches. This pic is not my truck, but is the same switches. On mine, the outside two are the heated seats and the middle two are blank.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:45 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I have the same plan for my truck...I bought
this switch panel this switch panel
from Amazon, and plan to install it in the lower swing-out cup-holder thingy which I never use...The panel does have individual switches if that matters...Alternately, if the heated seats are less useful to you than the extra lights would be, just use those switches......Ben
Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
I have the same plan for my truck...I bought this switch panel from Amazon, and plan to install it in the lower swing-out cup-holder thingy which I never use...The panel does have individual switches if that matters...Alternately, if the heated seats are less useful to you than the extra lights would be, just use those switches......Ben
Thanks for the reply.

I definitely want to keep the heated seat switches.

If they are individual switches, I guess worst case I could get two more heated seat switches and just use them for the lights? Does anyone know if there is anything special or different with the HS switches than I would want for lights? I have already mounted relays in the engine compartment, just need switch for the ground going to the coil.

Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:21 AM

If the lights are on relays, it shouldn't be any problem at all......Ben
Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
If the lights are on relays, it shouldn't be any problem at all......Ben
Do you happen to know if the heated seat switches are momentary? If memory serves, I think the heated seats turn off automatically after being on for a certain amount of time (or was that a different rig??) which makes me wonder if the switch might be momentary and controlled by the computer for full functionality.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by tacotory
Do you happen to know if the heated seat switches are momentary? If memory serves, I think the heated seats turn off automatically after being on for a certain amount of time (or was that a different rig??) which makes me wonder if the switch might be momentary and controlled by the computer for full functionality.
I have no idea...The only time I ever had a heated seat was when my Mom took a switch to me for cussing......Ben