3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Amsoil Bypass Kit and remote mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil Bypass Kit and remote stock oil filter mounts?

I'm looking for info on the Amsoil bypass kits and remote stock filter mounts. Who has done this and what did you like/dislike about the kits? Which kit did you purchase? After installing my twins, I realized how much of a pain it is to get to my oil filter. I need to move the stock filter to a new location, and I figure this would be a great time to also do an Amsoil Bypass kit. Pictures/websites would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Jared
Old 12-24-2007, 01:50 AM

BMK11 is the bypass kit that has everything you need. Also BK1301 is a billet aluminum oil filler cap (not included in the BMK11 kit) that you can route your return oil line into and looks really clean or you could save some money and drill out the stock one. I just fabbed up the mounting bracket earlier today. I'm bolting mine on the front of the intake manifold where those 3 tapped out holes that aren't used are and the filter will be right above the cp3. I saw where somebody else did that. It'll be easy to get to. Amsoil doesn't recommend mounting the bypass filter off the engine due to vibrations but I've heard other people have without any problems. The factory full flow filter works fine mounted on the engine. They probably say this due to oil lines rubbing through. I'll just make sure they won't when I route them.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 AM

I opted to leave the full flow filter in it's stock location. It is pretty easy for me to get to as is. I installed the bypass filter in the corner of the engine compartment next to the firewall on the passenger side. I had to make a custom mount to get it to fit into the corner and allow for filter removal. It is a little tight, but I can get to the filter easily and it is out of the way and looks pretty good.

A friend of mine purchased the kit with the full flow filter and bypass filter side by side and mounted it up between the front fender and front bumper mounts. The install was a little tough and required some custom brackets and extra hose, but it is very easy to change filters.

If interested in the location I mounted mine in, let me know and I can get some pictures.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:50 PM

Pics? Pics? did somebody ask for pics? Here's my bracket it was made out of some scrap I could scrounge up. I only got a stick welder and I'm not the world's best bead layer with one but it'll do. Need to clean it up some more with the grinder and paint it then I'm ready to install the kit

Old 12-24-2007, 06:51 PM

That bracket looks good.
Where does the oil exit the engine at, to the filter??
Also, about how much are those kits from AMsoil??
Old 12-24-2007, 07:39 PM

Wait til you see the smoothed out welds and paint (tomorrow will post pics) looks factory clean now. Comes from the oil pressure sending unit and into the bypass then out and back into the engine. I think they're about $200 but i can't remember I bought it several months back. Check amsoil website for pricing part# BMK11
Old 12-24-2007, 09:15 PM

Thxs.
I didn't find any priceing on the site. If you are correct, it's a bit cheapwer than Oilguard which has jump alot since the last one I picked up from them.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 PM

BMK 11 kit $174 + shipping and they don't jack you on shipping charges. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Sea...?CategoryID=77 It's cheaper if you're a preferred customer. Part # BK1301 is a billet aluminum oil filler cap not included in the bypass kit that replaces the stock one and the return oil line from the bypass routes through the top of it. Looks good and makes taking oil samples for analysis easy just set the brake, start the engine, undo the oil filler cap and fill your sample. Some guys think it's too much money for a filler cap but I think it's worth the extra $$$ it's a tad over $50 for pref custs.. Reg price: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Se...eyWords=BK1301 Finished bracket pending pic approval. Welds smooth, paint applied, ready to go! Apologies jared for jackin your thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Thxs again.
Bracket looks real good now!!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
BMK 11 kit $174 + shipping and they don't jack you on shipping charges. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Sea...?CategoryID=77 It's cheaper if you're a preferred customer. Part # BK1301 is a billet aluminum oil filler cap not included in the bypass kit that replaces the stock one and the return oil line from the bypass routes through the top of it. Looks good and makes taking oil samples for analysis easy just set the brake, start the engine, undo the oil filler cap and fill your sample. Some guys think it's too much money for a filler cap but I think it's worth the extra $$$ it's a tad over $50 for pref custs.. Reg price: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Se...eyWords=BK1301 Finished bracket pending pic approval. Welds smooth, paint applied, ready to go! Apologies jared for jackin your thread

No, you didn't jack the thread, this is what I was looking for. That last link you posted had a page of customer installations, so it was very helpful. I was goofing around and came across the http://www.dieselgeek.com website and noticed a double clamp mount for the new VW Beetle that looked pretty nice, mounting the bypass filter right next to the stock filter. I was curious if anyone had done this with the Dodge one and a remote stock filter mount, which would perfect for my situation.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seasons Greeting to all,

We are returning the oil from the bypass filter through the Amsoil filler cap kit, nice simple system but... if the truck is pulling hard or reving high, oil is dumping out of the breather vent at 1.5 liters per hour of driving. Seems too much oil is going into the valve cover & spilling out the breather at the back of the motor??? Anyone else have a simular problem & where else can we return the oil to the system??
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM

There's a self tapping bolt in the kit you can punch through the oil pan and route a line down there for return oil. Put mine on tonight. Gonna plumb it in the AM and I'll be good to go. I'll keep my eye on the vent and see if it gives me any trouble blowing the oil out.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:26 AM

Isn't there a plug that you pull out near the bottom of the block to route the oil return on second turbo when running twins? couldn't you use that for the bypass filter if you are running a single?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine feeding thru the filler cap for a couple of years and haven't had the loss thru the crankcase breather as has been stated. You can also tap the pan or block, but this was the easiest way and myself and many others have not had one problem.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:59 AM

I also have my return thru the filler cap for over a year, no problems, works just fine. I mounted my filter on the RH pass side cowl with an angle bracket.

CD

Quick Reply: Amsoil Bypass Kit and remote mounts?