3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

amsoil air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amsoil air filter

I just ordered a AMSOIL Ea Air Filter EAA189.

From what i've read this is a great drop in dry airfilter for the stock box. Do you think there will be any slight improvement in MPG and Power? Since there will be more breathing?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:08 PM

Yes to both questions. I certainly like mine. Been in for about 5K miles, I blow it out once a month, takes all of 5 minutes. No dirt past it yet, has a good seal. I live on a dirt/gravel washboard road in a windy, dirt blowin' area. GREAT filter. I also did the 4" mod to the airbox and saw even more mpg changes.

CD
Old 10-15-2006, 09:09 PM

You might see a little difference, but the main purpose for a performance filter is to lower EGT's.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by CD in NM
Yes to both questions. I certainly like mine. Been in for about 5K miles, I blow it out once a month, takes all of 5 minutes. No dirt past it yet, has a good seal. I live on a dirt/gravel washboard road in a windy, dirt blowin' area. GREAT filter. I also did the 4" mod to the airbox and saw even more mpg changes.

CD
Thanks for the info. I did send you a PM
Old 10-15-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mijpa
I just ordered a AMSOIL Ea Air Filter EAA189.

From what i've read this is a great drop in dry airfilter for the stock box. Do you think there will be any slight improvement in MPG and Power? Since there will be more breathing?
Am i going to have to change out stock box? If so what are some good boxes that will fit that new amsoil drop in?

I would rather not have to do the cheese hole thang.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the swiss cheese mod is gay in my opinion. the stock opening is larger than the ducting to the turbo, so its not gonna do any thing really. The EAa189 is a great filter - I have it and like it alot. You will see a slightly quicker spool up - cannot comment on egts as i dont moniter them.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
the swiss cheese mod is gay in my opinion. the stock opening is larger than the ducting to the turbo, so its not gonna do any thing really. The EAa189 is a great filter - I have it and like it alot. You will see a slightly quicker spool up - cannot comment on egts as i dont moniter them.
Thanks for your input
Old 10-16-2006, 08:45 PM

I have one of the amsoil dry filters also. What I would like to know is how you guys are cleaning them? I havn't had to clean mine yet but would like to be ready when the time comes.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM

i have cleaned mine once. At 10k miles, i set my air compressor up to 25psi and used a nozzle to blow dirt back thru and off the filter - Amsoil recommended using a 45 degree angle - just blow it from inside out really.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:10 AM

Sounds to me like you have failed to allow for the fact that the air filter is a restrictor, and therefore furnishing more area prior to the restriction DOES make sense. (At least to me).
Also, do we know for certain that there is no reduction in flow upstream of the stock box opening, caused by either restriction or pressure drop generated by aerodynamics? I don't know that either of these situations exist, but even if the cheesing reduces the amount of bugs and crud that gets sucked through the fender, it might be worthwhile doing.
I guess what I am saying is: Rather than throwing barbs, I say: Whatever turns your crank. Really no different than what the individual prefers to do to their exhaust system. People could say the same thing about you removing your silencer ring.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by HaulinBut
Sounds to me like you have failed to allow for the fact that the air filter is a restrictor, and therefore furnishing more area prior to the restriction DOES make sense. (At least to me).
Also, do we know for certain that there is no reduction in flow upstream of the stock box opening, caused by either restriction or pressure drop generated by aerodynamics? I don't know that either of these situations exist, but even if the cheesing reduces the amount of bugs and crud that gets sucked through the fender, it might be worthwhile doing.
I guess what I am saying is: Rather than throwing barbs, I say: Whatever turns your crank. Really no different than what the individual prefers to do to their exhaust system. People could say the same thing about you removing your silencer ring.
Um, ok dude, I guess my degree in Physics isn't paying off.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 AM

I have one for about 4K. Not sure how much mpg gained, but can hear the turbo whistle a touch more, and spools a little faster. Nothing earth shattering, but a noticible difference.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, ok dude, I guess my degree in Physics isn't paying off.
guess not.