Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   All you twin fellas (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/all-you-twin-fellas-283013/)

Gmanndodgeguy 01-02-2011 04:40 AM

All you twin fellas

I've decided I'm going to spend some dieselicious cash this month. I'd like some opinions on the upgrades I'd like to make outside of the opinion from the shop doing the work.

Trans being built now...Full billet/triple lock-t/c
PDR Cam
Head Studs
BD exhaust brake/trans controller
heavier valve springs
Twins-PDR super 300/modified HT3B 26cm turbo

Now, not having embarked on anything like this before I have no idea what to expect in terms of drivability, reliability, horsepower or economy. The boys at PDR say that if I continue to drive as I do now, (which is fairly light on the throttle), nothing will change. Economy and reliability the same with approximately 500hp and 1000lbft at the rear.

What are your thoughts?

rock crawler 01-02-2011 09:31 AM

Look at my signature. I have all of these mods and I'm running almost 600 HP. Driveability and reliability have not been an issue for me. As a matter of fact, with the Smarty POD I can turn my settings down on the fly and actually get pretty good fuel mileage. But, I leave it turned up a little because it's more fun to drive that way.[guitar] BTW, am I missing something? I don't see injectors. Are you going to be using the stock injectors with all of these mods?

JJPage 01-02-2011 01:39 PM

I would agree with the PDR crew as far as driveability/reliability. It may take a bit more energy to get the twins spooling, but the cam and upgraded trans will make up for that.

The trans has been my favorite and most noticeable upgrade, then the twins, in regards to mechanical changes.

Gmanndodgeguy 01-02-2011 09:00 PM

well, to be very honest. I'm not sure what to do in terms of injectors. I thought about upgrading them as well but wasn't sure I needed them. The truck idles, runs and starts really well. I've got approximately 135000km on the engine now and still going strong. I get really good feedback on oil samples and keep up on fuel filter changes, etc...

Do you think I should upgrade to a bigger injector? I use the truck for 85% daily driving, 15% towing a 10,000 trailer and rarely do I hammer on it unless I need lane supremacy or wishing to smoke some little rice rocket for shats and giggles. I hate to say this but mileage per gallon is a concern. I get on average of 15 mpg year round. Would the injectors affect the consumption drastically?

Heimie 01-16-2011 11:51 AM

Get some big injectors dude! And look at the PacBrake for the exhaust brake.

got_soot 01-17-2011 12:58 PM

if i was you, id deff. get a set of injectors to help light those twins up.. you already spent this much you mise well spend another 900 and buy a set of 90ddp's.

CD in NM 01-17-2011 03:16 PM

I would go to either 50. 65 or 90 injectors, since you tow, you really don't want to go too big, egts can be a problem with too big injectors.

I have twins, still running stock injectors, cam, etc, just added the twins and some intake/exhaust mods, PLENTY of power.

You might want to wait until you see how your truck runs with what you are doing at this time.

I also vote for the PacBrake, have one, mines an inline just aft of the turbo, alongside the tranny, the turbo elbow area gets really congested with twins.

CD

Gmanndodgeguy 01-18-2011 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by got_soot (Post 2908166)
if i was you, id deff. get a set of injectors to help light those twins up.. you already spent this much you mise well spend another 900 and buy a set of 90ddp's.

I'm slowly being talked into them. Lets face it, the engines being torn down anyway. Theres a few miles on the engine and they won't last forever. It's only money right???!!!![laugh] I'm probably going with the 50hp sticks. Thats the only questionable anomaly at present.

After five years of reading about all the fun you guys are having I can't wait to get the work done and play![guitar]

moparmatt 01-19-2011 10:41 PM

i dont have twins yet but when it comes to towing i really wish i had them or a smaller 50hp injector, i was thinking about going to a smaller injector and turbo but i think ill try find a twin setup first

89dieselkong 01-20-2011 10:54 AM

I would look at the injctors from Scheid Diesel Their Lightning 50's and 100's (50HP and 100HP) are brand new injectors and very reasonably priced...basically cheaper than anything else I have found. Very happy with my set so far and customer service is awesome!