Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Air Intake Kits and Intake Manifolds (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/air-intake-kits-intake-manifolds-177940/)

D45 11-13-2007 11:24 AM

Air Intake Kits and Intake Manifolds

My truck's motor is bone stock and I would like to start looking at some hi-po goodies, that will help with power and fuel mileage.

Concerning the aftermarket air intakes:
1) Are the oil-wetted air filter elements ok to use, or should I look for a dry filter element kit?

2) What are the good air intake kits, S&B, AEM, Bully Dog, etc??

Lastly, are the aftermarket intake maniolds a good, worthwhile upgrade? I see a number of companies making them such as CFM+, Banks, AFE, etc.

Thanks for any and all info!

tbarbee1 11-13-2007 11:31 AM

I cant answer the manifold question but for the turbo side of the intake just make a wilys whistler its cheaper and bigger than the rest. If you havent seen it just do a search for Willys Whistler and enjoy

jwb600 11-13-2007 11:50 AM

you wont get a huge increase from the manifold. they might help a little but ive ran the ats arc flow an the banks high ram and neither one were huge increases in power. I would build your own intake with an afe stage 1 or 2 filter. its not that hard to do. if you can work on your truck an intake is very easy to build and it will save you about 2-300 if you make your own setup.

rip 112 11-13-2007 11:54 AM

I still have an oiled filter and haven't noticed any issues on my afe II. Some ppl have gone to the prodry filters, but I can't justify one for me right now.

D45 11-13-2007 12:53 PM

With being a diesel, and having a turbo, what CFM does the 5.9L motor produce or is capable of pulling?

bighornram 11-13-2007 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by D45 (Post 1788446)
With being a diesel, and having a turbo, what CFM does the 5.9L motor produce or is capable of pulling?

It'll suck a golfball through a garden hose. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

DWitcher 11-13-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600 (Post 1788350)
you wont get a huge increase from the manifold. they might help a little but ive ran the ats arc flow an the banks high ram and neither one were huge increases in power. I would build your own intake with an afe stage 1 or 2 filter. its not that hard to do. if you can work on your truck an intake is very easy to build and it will save you about 2-300 if you make your own setup.

Surely you got a good look at the stock piece while you did the intake swaps?
The stock intake airhorn is like the banana in the tailpipe. Anything would help there.

rip 112 11-13-2007 09:10 PM

There are plenty of ppl making 500+hp with the stock horn. It is not terribly insufficient, just looks like it. Aftermarket horns help, but only to a certain extent, even on high horsepower engines.

Megacab07 11-13-2007 09:41 PM

I didnt notice any increase with the new air intake horn. I felt alittle with the AFE 2 intake. However, for the money I would do the willy intake. I wish I did.
The only real advantage to the aftermarket intake horns is they have already tapped ports for water meth, gas, boost. I bought the GDP one. Simple install and looks nice. My .03

35" 05' 11-13-2007 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by bighornram (Post 1789147)
It'll suck a golfball through a garden hose. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

VIDS please!!!

DaveB.inVa 11-13-2007 11:08 PM

I'm running a dieselpowerproducts cool hose with an amsoil nanofiber drop in filter. I like it a lot. The cool hose isn't that expensive either, you can use it with the stock airbox and upgrade to a conical filter later if you wish.

DevilzTower 12-06-2007 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112 (Post 1789282)
There are plenty of ppl making 500+hp with the stock horn. It is not terribly insufficient, just looks like it. Aftermarket horns help, but only to a certain extent, even on high horsepower engines.

ya, the air horn upgrade definitely has it's limits, but I just cringe whenever I see the stock horn, the flow restriction in that piece is just ridiculous. [duhhh] I need a beer just thinkin' about it. [verymad]

rip 112 12-06-2007 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by DevilzTower (Post 1826497)
ya, the air horn upgrade definitely has it's limits, but I just cringe whenever I see the stock horn, the flow restriction in that piece is just ridiculous. [duhhh] I need a beer just thinkin' about it. [verymad]

That's why I went ahead and changed mine. I was also aiming for a better look. The CFM+ helps out a little with the egts. Later on down the road it will serve a better purpose.

XLR8R 12-06-2007 10:50 AM

This huge dryflow system is the largest that will fit within the stock engine compartment:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...aircleaner.jpg

http://lazarsmith.com/SuperBHAF.html

D45 12-06-2007 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112 (Post 1826938)
That's why I went ahead and changed mine. I was also aiming for a better look. The CFM+ helps out a little with the egts. Later on down the road it will serve a better purpose.

I was looking at the CFM+ units, but I ended up with an AFE Bladerunner....should arrive shortly!