3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket Homelink Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Homelink Assembly

Does anyone know of an outlet for the aftermarket homelink overhead console? I have the trip computer console but I would like to get one with homelink included.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I searched and could not find an aftermarket console, but I did find a mirror with auto-dim and Homelink. It looked like a nice set up, but it was ridiculously expensive. If you do a search you should be able to find it. I have seen a few Laramie factory units for sale on E-Bay. Let me know if you find a nice aftermarket unit.

One thing I considered doing was doing a home install in the exisiting overhead console. I thought I could buy a key fob opener that would fit under the console and wire a Radio Shack switch to it. I have seen it done successfully on other cars. My problem is that I think a lot, but I never seem to get around to doing too much.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:43 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Here is their website.

http://www.homelink.com/home/wheretogo.html
Old 05-13-2004, 11:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is the mirror...
http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink_mirrors.htm
Old 05-13-2004, 09:03 PM

This guy did it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I emailed him, I'll post if/when he replies.

I've not seen any of the homelink ones in completed items, but who knows....
Old 05-14-2004, 10:07 AM

FYI, this was his reply:

Well let's just say that I have friends in the right places, and I will have to leave it at that. What truck are you wanting to swap it into? I have one for sale for a Dakota... I used this in my diesel Ram for a while, everything worked great except I never thought the fuel mileage was quite right, I was told it probably wasn't because the Dakota's are all gas and I am diesel. I have not had the correct one in my truck long enough to say if there was/is a difference. I can tell you the Mopar part number on the new module was 56049707AC... call the dealer and ask them. The Dakota one I have is part number: 56049578AB.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:45 PM

caughtinmygrill or anyone else, were you ever able to get a replacement console with the Homelink unit into your truck? I'm curious if the part number listed in steve's posting was a correct # (56049707AC).

I was able to do a similar thing in my wife's '03 4Runner by pulling the console out (litterally pulling it down from one end and it comes right out), unclipping the harness and plugging to new console in and snapping it back into place.

It's so much nicer than having a darn opener to fumble around with and keep track of.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just installed mine (56049707AC). Real simple, unplug old and plug in new. The thing about using it from other vehicles, I was told that as long as what they call a BCM, like a PCM, is correct, it should work.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by nonford
I just installed mine (56049707AC). Real simple, unplug old and plug in new. The thing about using it from other vehicles, I was told that as long as what they call a BCM, like a PCM, is correct, it should work.
That's great. Is there a specific way I need to pull out the console? On my wife's I had to pull on the side closest to the windshield, being careful not to pull to far out or you could break the harness.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:56 AM

If your removing this from your 04, you will need to remove the light covers on each side. BE CAREFUL! They are fragile. I used a jeweler size screwdriver and gently applied resistants to pop off the lens covers. Once you remove that, you will see two torx screws (silver) holding the console in place. Unscrew those and pull the console down gently, the front clips will come off easily. Once you can see in there, there are two jacks, one to the module and one for the lights. The light jack is easy, the module jack is a bit snug. But, there is a clip below the jack that you need to push in and pull out. Once that is done, plug in the new one. Enjoy...
Old 08-04-2004, 01:42 PM

Many thanks nonford...how much does this replacement console run if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-04-2004, 02:06 PM

@ the dealer, I think w/homelink it's 200. Checkout ebay, the bidding usually starts @75 then about a minute before end, everyone trys to sneak in and get it cheap. I paid 140. I didnt see one listed today, but check it once in awhile.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:57 PM

I MADE MY OWN!!!!
I took a small Genie keychain remote and took it apart. This model takes a small 12volt battery like most standard alarm remotes. I solder a wire to both the positive and negative battery tabs. I then un-soldered the button off the circuit board and soldered on a wire on each side of that. I knotched the plastic case to allow the 4 wires to come out and reassambled the case. I mounted the modified remote under the dash and wired my power and ground to it through a 5amp fuse. And finally, a drilled a hole in the bottom of the dash and mounted a small push button in it and attached the two wires from the remote to the pushbutton. I did this in my wifes 2003 Tacoma doublecab because I know she liked it in the Maxima we traded in. It sounds like a lot of work but it only took about an hour.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:27 PM

Well, I tried getting the Homelink assembly today but it appears to be on national backorder and has been superceded by 56049707AF instead of AC from what two different parts guys have told me. I guess I'll have to wait for a couple of months and check up on it again.

Hedgehog, that looks like good old fashioned American ingenuity at work.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:54 AM

My truck is to big to fit in my garage. There are several ways to hook up a garage opener without doing the homelink. You can wire up the garage opener under your dash and move the switch wires to a what I call a ghost switch like your turn signal, horn, or what ever has a momentary switch when activated. Just another option if you did not want to locate a Homelink overhead unit.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Homelink Assembly