3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AEM INTAKE..Did I "F" something up?? PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM INTAKE..Did I mess something up?? PLEASE READ

I posted a message about a week or so ago about the AEM intake that I installed and how perfect it was. (2004 Cummins 600) It still is except for one issue. Per the instructions, I checked the intake after my first ride to make sure everything was intact, which it was. Since then, I have only driven the truck about 4 times (less than 1 1/2 hrs total) Today I opened the hood to give everything a look and to my horror, the filter was laying in the engine compartment with the tube wide open. I was extremely meticulous when installing this; double and triple checking the clamps tightness. I put the filter back on the intake, hand tightened the clamp VERY tightly and the filter slid right off the tube. What the hell??!!, this isn't rocket science. I finally took sand paper, scored the end of the tube so the rubber part of the filter would have something to grab and tightened the clamp to the point of distorting the slots. BOTTOM LINE....what are the chances that I could have sucked anything into the turbo and would I be able to tell by performance since it is still running perfect. I only ran on dry days in the street. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

take off the intake tube where it attaches to the turbo inlet. look for dust, dirt, mud, etc. in the tube and compressor inlet and wheel. you dont list where you live so i cannot help you that way. if you live in the arizona desert, you may find some sandblasting like effects(easy PJ ), if you like in oregon, you'll find evidence of water striking the blades. if the inlet and filter down tube are clean, wipe out your shorts and thank the stars.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned

try putting a few wraps of electrical tape around the tube where the filter clamps on. That should keeping it from slipping off.

I'd also change the title of this thread before you get banned.

goodluck
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've never attempted blasting a turbo, I can imagine it would do some damage.
In all seriousness, which this situation is, I doubt you did any damage in that little bit of time. If you told me the duration of non-filtration is unknown, or much longer and definitely in poor (dusty and/or wet) conditions, I would worry.

If you want to ease your mind, you could always send out an oil sample for analysis. From what I hear it isn't expensive.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

i see that got your attention.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleDan

I'd also change the title of this thread before you get banned.

goodluck
Dude?! Have you made one complete post without mentioning something about the rules or getting in trouble here??? I'm sure if they don't like it they will edit it and not make that huge of a deal out of it.......

It's not Catholic school, take a pill.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

Mine did it once also, so I put some screws through the clamp,filter, and intake. Never again
Old 12-12-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Dude?! Have you made one complete post without mentioning something about the rules or getting in trouble here??? I'm sure if they don't like it they will edit it and not make that huge of a deal out of it.......

It's not Catholic school, take a pill.
LMAO

Dang message requirments
Old 12-13-2006, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Correct me if I'm wrong, but worst case scenario that I did suck something in, would it only damage the primary fins of the turbo? The secondary fins are completely seperate inside of the turbo body, correct? Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Back when I was running the BHAF it came off more than once. That was 25,000 miles ago. No problems but it did it during winter. Not alot of dusty conditions.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:18 PM

Your turbo will take a lot more abuse than your engine will. (where do you think the air goes after the turbo?) Unless you took the truck off road, I doubt anything but a little dust went down the tube. I've done some serious mudding and have yet to see any mud get up near the air intake. (not to say that it can't happen)
Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

I think the poster needs to take a pill as well.

Your engine is just fine, your turbo is just fine, everything is ok.

Many many people out there run no filters before their turbos, for competitions.

Almost all turbo dragsters dont run filters and you can see them spinning through their cutouts in the hoods and front facias.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM

LittleDan,

I think I need a pill... Dude you need some Chrome Things to go above your windows so the rain doesn't come in.... I hear they gain about 10hp. LOL
Old 12-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some little vinyl bullet holes too. 1hp each.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned

mine did the same thing. i was a little concerned but i dont think any harm was done!! good luck with it though

brett

Quick Reply: AEM INTAKE..Did I "F" something up?? PLEASE READ