Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Which 5" exhaust of these should I get for what I want (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/5-exhaust-these-should-i-get-what-i-want-196151/)

treadway47025 03-10-2008 11:45 AM

Which 5" exhaust of these should I get for what I want

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the 5" turbo back exhaust market. I have read plenty of post on this and have selected either silverline or mbrp. I am looking for best sound and quality of product with the best interior sound (meaning least drone). I saw a prototype 5050xl 5" aeroturbine full exhaust on youtube. SO which exhaust is the best for my money? Silverline or mbrp? Also can the jacobs brake work with this?

omaharam 03-10-2008 01:18 PM

What mods are done to your truck? A 5" doesn't gain anything unless you have a pretty good list of mods and certainly not if you keep the factory 4" cat and forward. The factory 4" exhaust supports 600hp. Any purchased 5" exhaust is going to be loud in the cab as well. If you want quiet in the cab, you will need to ad a 51" Donaldson muffler. But there is no point in doing it unless you are going to do a turbo back.

treadway47025 03-10-2008 02:00 PM

Well I am in need of replacement for one. I have the factory 4 " strait piped with no cat. I plan to get a new turbo soon and I already have the smarty, afe stage 2 rokk timing sensor and south bend con ofe clutch. Its a daily driver and a hauler. Haul anything from quads to diesel powered equipment. Want to quiet my interior down some. Have a drone under load that is loud inside. My truck was knocked out of gear or popped out and there is a slight grade in my driveway that leads to a field with woods. Needless to say my trucks bed was replaced afterthis and my exhaust was mess up and I rigged it to work for a while and saved my insurance money for the exhaust when I find what I want and need I am purchasing it.

D45 03-10-2008 02:17 PM

I am very, very pleased with my MBRP 5" Turbo back with the 6" tip.

LOVE IT!

treadway47025 03-10-2008 02:18 PM

I would also like to add that I hope and plan to add an exhaust brake like the pac brake or the jacobs

dieselkid6 03-10-2008 02:29 PM

i like silverline stuff but either one is good

staarma 03-10-2008 02:39 PM

Most of the 5" exhausts out there are meant to connect to the stock elbow and then go to 5" from there like my Flo Pro in the picture. I have a Pac Brake on mine.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6...a/P5110192.jpg

06CTDforAU 03-10-2008 02:42 PM

Like everyone says, you don't need it but I did it for the sound. MBRP makes nice kits.

soulezoo 03-10-2008 03:48 PM

In the same situation, I also narrowed it down to MBRP or Silverline and it came down to a coin flip and price. I got the MBRP 5" with 6" tip and have been very pleased with it in all respects. Nice and deep but not too loud. There is slight drone with a little low RPM lugging of the engine, but not bad. I don't think you will go wrong either direction.

treadway47025 03-10-2008 05:01 PM

any mods have to be done to get the pac brake to work staarma??

Crazy Diesel 03-10-2008 05:17 PM

I just put on 5" Magnaflow's turbo back and love it. I was really worried about cab drown and I can honestly tell you I have very very little drown. In fact I hear more turbo whistle than I hear exhaust. It's perfect because it's really tame until I lay into it and thats getting into it pretty good. It's a deep rumble that sounds awsome. The shop I bought mine from sells Silverline, MBRP also and that is what they recommended. Good choice

snoyes 03-10-2008 05:48 PM

I installed a 5 inch turbo back with my Jacobs brake. What a pain!!! It took some heat in order to get everything to match up properly. It worked, but it was not made to. I would ask your exhaust company to see if they are made to fit with an exhaust brake.

Hounddog 03-10-2008 06:21 PM

Treadway 47025. FILL OUT YOUR SIG.LIKE THE REST OF US!

jwb600 03-10-2008 07:18 PM

5" to me is the first thing I would put on a common rail to get rid of the raspy tone of 4" from what I have seen mbrp is nice stuff. dps and diamond eye seem to be nice exhaust kits also

Raspy 03-10-2008 07:25 PM

I suggest staying away from 409 stainless. Get 304 if you can. My 409 system from MBRP began rusting right away and looks brown over it's full length. At first it was ugly pitting and they suggested I go under and rub them out.

John