3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

48re won't shift into o/d

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48re won't shift into o/d

this one is a stumper!
my trans won't always go into o/d.i had a shop replace the t/c/c o/d solenoid and that didn't fix it.i had another shop go completely thru the v/b, and o/d unit, and replaced the ttva motor.that didn't fix it.everything is intermitent.i put a gauge on my o/d test port and sometimes i have pressure and other times i don't when it's suppose to be in o/d.it also sometimes has a steady pressure rise and other times it doesn't.i now have a o/d switch hooked up and it will go into o/d plus has a steady pressure rise .
any ideas??
Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 AM
Banned

I would check the wiring harness, I had problems like this on my 2000, and it was the harness.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM

i have been fighting the same thing for over a year now. when i first built my tranny, it wouldn't shift out of first gear at WOT, fresh tranny, single disc TC,transgo VB, if you were not at WOT, it would usually shift fine. so after numerous trips to the tranny builder, i decided i needed a "better " TC, and VB
so i went with a Banks 3 disc, and a suncoast VB i bought both piece off here.
the banks TC is very tight, almost too tight if you ask me, and the VB i bought, the guy who sold it to me, blew up his tranny, so my guy gets this and has to go through it and change some stuff cause there is pieces of tranny in this thing.clutches were coming apart, so the decide to freshen it up. now i can't shift into OD under WOT. same thing, if not to the floor, like 3/4 way down, it will shift into OD then lock up. if WOT it will bounce off 4000rpm, and do nothing until i back off the pedal, then it will shift.this can't be good for the tranny or the motor. tried new TV cable, that didn't help, next is the bracket that holds that cable cause the are weak and flex. it seems that my tranny for some reason wants to shift into OD and lock up too soon, you really notice this with a load on, cause it will surge the truck, and bark the turbo a couple times. its like the truck just doesn't have enough steam to keep it rolling, but i know this is not the case.
i also lost my shift indicator lights on R D 3 2 1 , but work for park and N
going to replace park/neutral safety switch, and see if that helps. i hate guessing, but thats all we can do right now. i wonder if a pressure lock would help hold prerssure for the shifting into OD.
it sounds very similar what you have and what i have for problems. i haven't got that far with a scan tool to see what the drive pressures are, but keep posting back on what you find. maybe between the 2 problems a fix will come of this
Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pullin hard
i have been fighting the same thing for over a year now. when i first built my tranny, it wouldn't shift out of first gear at WOT, fresh tranny, single disc TC,transgo VB, if you were not at WOT, it would usually shift fine. so after numerous trips to the tranny builder, i decided i needed a "better " TC, and VB
so i went with a Banks 3 disc, and a suncoast VB i bought both piece off here.
the banks TC is very tight, almost too tight if you ask me, and the VB i bought, the guy who sold it to me, blew up his tranny, so my guy gets this and has to go through it and change some stuff cause there is pieces of tranny in this thing.clutches were coming apart, so the decide to freshen it up. now i can't shift into OD under WOT. same thing, if not to the floor, like 3/4 way down, it will shift into OD then lock up. if WOT it will bounce off 4000rpm, and do nothing until i back off the pedal, then it will shift.this can't be good for the tranny or the motor. tried new TV cable, that didn't help, next is the bracket that holds that cable cause the are weak and flex. it seems that my tranny for some reason wants to shift into OD and lock up too soon, you really notice this with a load on, cause it will surge the truck, and bark the turbo a couple times. its like the truck just doesn't have enough steam to keep it rolling, but i know this is not the case.
i also lost my shift indicator lights on R D 3 2 1 , but work for park and N
going to replace park/neutral safety switch, and see if that helps. i hate guessing, but thats all we can do right now. i wonder if a pressure lock would help hold prerssure for the shifting into OD.
it sounds very similar what you have and what i have for problems. i haven't got that far with a scan tool to see what the drive pressures are, but keep posting back on what you find. maybe between the 2 problems a fix will come of this
my issues are during normal driving.i have had some apps codes(2121,2127), but those are gone now but still could be a contributer.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 AM

well, all my wiring seems to be in check from what i can see, and the tranny guys didn't see anything bad or not normal either.
you say under normal driving conditions, how about under harder conditions and at WOT? what does your tranny do then?
what programmers are you running?
i know that when i got mine back the last time, i ran it for a week with no smarty, and if i let the tranny get to full temp, had less issues, as soon as i down loaded smarty, i lost indicator lights on the dash telling me what gear i am in. i know also that when i put my truck into park, it sometimes still thinks its in reverse, cause that dam horn will blast off.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks for further proving why I dont need to get a programmer LOL
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pullin hard
well, all my wiring seems to be in check from what i can see, and the tranny guys didn't see anything bad or not normal either.
you say under normal driving conditions, how about under harder conditions and at WOT? what does your tranny do then?
what programmers are you running?
i know that when i got mine back the last time, i ran it for a week with no smarty, and if i let the tranny get to full temp, had less issues, as soon as i down loaded smarty, i lost indicator lights on the dash telling me what gear i am in. i know also that when i put my truck into park, it sometimes still thinks its in reverse, cause that dam horn will blast off.
I don't know about wot, b/c I don't really do that.
It'll happen stock,smarty,bullydog,it don't matter.
As far as your prnd21 indicator,try resetting your cable under the dash.

Anyelse have ideas about my problem with o/d?!?!?!?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

You can use a DRB to read line pressures, it will tell you what the computer is asking for and what it is actually reading. If the numbers are the same it means it could be an ECM issue, if they are different it is somthing else.

Bob can write you a reflash program for your ecm, and that would rule out computer glitches. You might aslo try a tranny controller like a Suncoast, DTT, or ATS commander.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Armstrong Performance
You can use a DRB to read line pressures, it will tell you what the computer is asking for and what it is actually reading. If the numbers are the same it means it could be an ECM issue, if they are different it is somthing else.

Bob can write you a reflash program for your ecm, and that would rule out computer glitches. You might aslo try a tranny controller like a Suncoast, DTT, or ATS commander.
Thanks, as you might guess I don't have a drb.
The psi at the o/d test port is sometimes low(15 psi)and sometimes varies from 15-20 and then goes up to over 100 psi.