Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   48RE Which one to choose (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/48re-one-choose-296747/)

ollie32 10-30-2011 11:45 AM

48RE Which one to choose

My 48re has been acting up as you will see from some other posts. I've got the money right now so I think I am just going to suck it up and purchase a fully O/H 48RE. Tranny has been an issue since day one when I drove the truck off the lot. They replaces transmission at 120km and now I'm at 220KM. I doubt they changed the TC.

I have narrowed my choice down to 3 options. BD DIESEL/WITH BD TC OR ATS STAGE 1 OR STAGE 2.

I like the BD cause it comes with an external filter, not to expensive to buy as an add on and put on a ATS however. There write up seems more convincing then ATS, but that means nothing. I've installed kits from them and have not been impressed with the wire harness quality. Price is about the same for BD and ATS Stage 1. Stage 2 comes with the new input shaft? This truck is used mostly for street and highway use with moderate towing. Is it necessary to consider a new input shaft?

I live in Vancouver, B.C., and B.D. is only 45 minutes away. So from a warranty stand put BD might be easier to deal with if that became an issue down the road.

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Thanks

annabelle 10-30-2011 12:35 PM

Dtt.........

John_P 10-30-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ollie32 (Post 3036506)
My 48re has been acting up as you will see from some other posts. I've got the money right now so I think I am just going to suck it up and purchase a fully O/H 48RE. Tranny has been an issue since day one when I drove the truck off the lot. They replaces transmission at 120km and now I'm at 220KM. I doubt they changed the TC.

I have narrowed my choice down to 3 options. BD DIESEL/WITH BD TC OR ATS STAGE 1 OR STAGE 2.

I like the BD cause it comes with an external filter, not to expensive to buy as an add on and put on a ATS however. There write up seems more convincing then ATS, but that means nothing. I've installed kits from them and have not been impressed with the wire harness quality. Price is about the same for BD and ATS Stage 1. Stage 2 comes with the new input shaft? This truck is used mostly for street and highway use with moderate towing. Is it necessary to consider a new input shaft?

I live in Vancouver, B.C., and B.D. is only 45 minutes away. So from a warranty stand put BD might be easier to deal with if that became an issue down the road.

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Thanks

-----------------
Ollie:

I have been running ATS Transmissions in all of my Dodge CTD Pickup Trucks
(1996, 2002, 2006) since they offered diesel performance transmisions in
2000-2001. I have had excellent service from ALL of them and I tow heavy and regularly drag race my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve. You can look at my signature to where I am at on H.P. and TORQUE on that truck. To my knowledge, they are the only aftermarket diesel transmission company that offer a five-disc (ATS Five Star) Torque Converter. But, they still also offer their Triple-Lok (3 disc) and that is what I currently have in my 2006.
Also, in my opinion, they offer the best warranty in the business with their five year, 150,000 mile warranty.

--------
John_P

DWeiler 10-30-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle (Post 3036517)
Dtt.........

DTT is not to far from you----another option to check out.,i'm 1000KM away and will drive that far to see them when the time comes as he builds one of the best.Peace of mind.DW

MTC 10-30-2011 02:44 PM

I have another year to wait, but when its time, its going to be a Goerend tranny...I know they are alittle far away from you, but I havent heard 1 bad thing about them.

Spooler 10-30-2011 08:37 PM

DTT or ATS is what I would suggest for you in your area. Goerend is hard to beat, but that is a ways from you.

Big Swole 10-30-2011 09:20 PM

Garmons Diesel! FTW!

dodge2005 10-31-2011 11:07 AM

I an a ATS fan, I have a Stge 2. Had the transmission for about 3k miles with towing my 5th wheel through the rocky mountains and had no issues. Goerend makes a great tranny also. My biggest suggestion is to go with someone close that is the main reason why I went with ATS. ATS is about 45min from me. Good luck.

Lost Lake 10-31-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by John_P (Post 3036531)
I have been running ATS Transmissions in all of my Dodge CTD Pickup Trucks
(1996, 2002, 2006) since they offered diesel performance transmisions in
2000-2001.
Also, in my opinion, they offer the best warranty in the business with their five year, 150,000 mile warranty.

--------
John_P

Actually John, they now have a 5 year, 500,000 mile warranty.... [guitar]

At least on the stage 2 I am contemplating...

CHROMEDOME1 11-04-2011 07:19 PM

They all are good pieces. I wouldn't count out Suncoast either. Good luck.

Uncle Ugly 11-05-2011 01:40 PM

NADP Heavy Hauler

RyeThomas 11-05-2011 03:31 PM

The closest one too you that you can drive to and talk face to face. I am never a fan of shipping a trans out and getting a trans sent back from people I have never met. I don't care who they are. A trans has a ton of mechanical parts and mechanical parts break, no matter who's they are. If and when they break I want to be able to talk face to face with the builder and watch them fix the issue. not send it off to never never land and hope they cover it. Again that is me, I am a grumpy old man. Tim Barber built a DTT for me, this time he built a trans with some of his parts, along with some DTT.If I build another truck he can put a company XYZ trans in it I don't care, I stand by his work, his judgement, his expertise, and most importantly if there is an issue I can get the truck to him myself.

John_P 11-08-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake (Post 3036940)
Actually John, they now have a 5 year, 500,000 mile warranty.... [guitar]

At least on the stage 2 I am contemplating...

-------------------------------------------
Thanks for the update Lost Lake! I did not know they had upgraded the mileage that high![duhhh]

--------
John_P

Lost Lake 11-09-2011 10:11 AM

Yeah, if I was a hotshotter I'd grab that warranty!

In 5 years I'll see another 130,000 miles or so.

thejeepdude 11-09-2011 12:20 PM

I had Ultimate Transmission in Boise do a full rebuild (I live in NorCal), including thrust washer elimination (replaced by bearing), billet input, TC, etc. Basically all the same mods those guys are running behind 1000+ HP except the output, figuring I can do that later if needed. I also had them install a MITUSA mechanical fuel pump. It was worth every penny, including the drive - all grins and no regrets!