Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   3rd gen bed rails. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/3rd-gen-bed-rails-33772/)

Fummins 10-30-2003 02:18 PM

3rd gen bed rails.

Anyone have a link to some good bed rails,preferably hard shell plastic,not interested in the diamond plate or brushed aluminum styles.Thanks a lot.

Hoss 10-30-2003 03:09 PM

Re:3rd gen bed rails.

Have you considered the factory ones, or do you not like them??

Try HERE.

Just fill in the info and then pick what you want.

Fummins 10-30-2003 05:59 PM

Thanks Hoss,im checking those out. :)

FiverBob 10-30-2003 06:32 PM

I have the dealer ones - - I'm happy.

Fummins 10-30-2003 06:39 PM

Thanks for the help FiverBob,how do they mount/attach?

jeffteel 10-30-2003 06:56 PM

You could get a whole spray on liner for the price of those bed rails. But you must not like the spray on stuff. I love mine.

Fummins 10-30-2003 09:53 PM

Spray on liners here cost $450.00 You saying you can get spray in liner for $100.00 Sounds fishy to me. [eyecrazy] [eyecrazy]Not to mention they color fade with time.Just my two cents. ;)

jeffteel 10-30-2003 11:05 PM

OK...I paid $299 for my liner...long bed...over the rails...lifetime warranty...and I know the chemical engineer who owns the company. (He invented Line-X by the way, but that's another story, and court battle.) They fade with time...but they don't scratch. And they definitely don't scratch the paint. I didn't realize that bed rails were only $100...my bad. To each his own. I've had both, and I'll buy a spray on liner again anytime. I'll never buy a drop in liner and bed rails again.

Sorry to hijack the topic. I just don't understand why you would want bed rails unless you had a bedliner to match...and that would mean drop-in liner. And I definitely don't understand why anyone would buy a drop in liner over a spray on liner. Maybe this guy just wants bed rails with no liner at all. I definitely don't get that. Why protect the rails and not the bed? My 75 Chevy was a great truck, but the bed rusted through. Protect the bed!

Fummins 10-31-2003 06:05 AM

Dunno where you made the assumption i wanted a bedliner of any kind.Never mentioned it.I want bed rail protectors,thats it,period.I opt to use a soft 1/2" bed mat instead of spray on liners,it has more grip and is about $400.00 less.I wouldnt have a drop in liner in my truck if you gave it to me.Ive had spray on bedliners,Line-X to be exact,they are o.k. i just wasnt thrilled with the fading that took place after 1 year,i think color fade is they're wink leak.They just dont seem to hack the sun very well here. :-[

belfert 10-31-2003 06:52 AM

[quote author=Fencebuilders link=board=49;threadid=21745;start=0#msg203650 date=1067545138]
Anyone have a link to some good bed rails,preferably hard shell plastic,not interested in the diamond plate or brushed aluminum styles.Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

I assuming what you really want are caps, not rails.

I was going to buy ProCaps from www.truckimage.com for $74.00, but I just decided to have the Line-X guys do over the rail for $95 additional.

I have no affiliation with Truck Image. I just happen to have purchased running boards there and was thinking about getting the ProCaps before I went with the Line-X.

Brian Elfert

Fummins 10-31-2003 07:41 AM

Thanks belfert,thats exactly what i am looking for!I owe ya one. ;)

Hoss 10-31-2003 08:02 AM

[quote author=Redneck Headbanger link=board=49;threadid=21745;start=0#msg203889 date=1067576737]Why protect the rails and not the bed[/quote]

Pretty simple really. The bed rails show. The bed doesn't. Maybe he already has a bed liner and just wants something to protect the rails??

Spray in liners are great....just expensive. $450 for a Line-X in my area if you want it over the rails.

RamDan03 10-31-2003 08:26 AM

Don't know if they have a location in your area, but i've bought a few things from my local Capworld. They have always been friendly and helpful www.capworld.com

I didn't want to pay over $400 for a spray-in liner, plus I wasn't too crazy about them sanding the paint on my brand new truck to install it. I just got a over-the-rail Colonel's Rugged Liner for $180 bucks. I figure if it ever wears out, then i'll possibly get a spray-in.

belfert 10-31-2003 02:59 PM

[quote author=RamDan03 link=board=49;threadid=21745;start=0#msg203982 date=1067610406]
I didn't want to pay over $400 for a spray-in liner, plus I wasn't too crazy about them sanding the paint on my brand new truck to install it. I just got a over-the-rail Colonel's Rugged Liner for $180 bucks. I figure if it ever wears out, then i'll possibly get a spray-in.
[/quote]

If you carry any amount of load in your bed, a drop-in liner will wear through the paint underneath the liner and rust. Some people will put a rubber pad underneath the drop-in to stop the paint wear problem.

A spray-in liner is like a layer of paint and won't cause rust. Most spray-in liners are repaired for free if they should peel or otherwise have problems.

Brian Elfert

Hoss 10-31-2003 03:06 PM

[quote author=belfert link=board=49;threadid=21745;start=0#msg204128 date=1067633961]A spray-in liner is like a layer of paint and won't cause rust.[/quote]

True...but it won't STOP rust either....at least not from the bottom. A spray in is definitely the best route to go, but it's still more than some people want to pay for a bedliner.

I have the factory drop-in in my truck that I've been meaning to take out but haven't. I think having no liner at all is better than a drop-in...but that's just me. :)

Just the same though, all Fencebuilders wants and all he's asking about is bed rail caps....so we're getting a bit off topic here. ;)