3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

35s or 37s ??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
35s or 37s ??????

I have recieved confirmation that my KMC Rockstar wheels have shipped. They are 20x8.5 R20 in black. I would rather see a 37" tire on a 20" wheel, but I want to go with a 4.5" (probably skyjacker) lift with some Bilstein 5100 replacements. The Rim stats are:

20x8.5 R20, 5.14" BS, +10mm offset.

My question....Is it possible to run this wheel tire combo with the lift I want, and not have issues with rubbing? The truck will see pavement time, and offroad time, but nothing extreme. I would go with a 6" BDS long arm kit, except that I do still need to tow a gooseneck trailer from time to time, probably 10% of the miles or less that this truck will see. Offroad will be farm and ranch roads, fields, that type of thing. I would be interested in everyone's opinion, or on what you have tried (real world experience) as this is the first truck I have ever been able to lift and modify to this degree.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can EASILY run the 37s! I am running 37s with NO lift and my 41s will be on with only 4" in front and 2" in the rear.

GO 37s!!!!

Great wheel choice by the way!

You will LOVE the gearing with the 37s. 75 @ 2000 RPM on the nose!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:22 AM

you can run 37's i'm pretty sure on your 3rd gen if it was a 2nd gen i'd say 35's

to slow for D.Wiggs....hes a fast one
Old 02-15-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
You can EASILY run the 37s! I am running 37s with NO lift and my 41s will be on with only 4" in front and 2" in the rear.

GO 37s!!!!

Great wheel choice by the way!

You will LOVE the gearing with the 37s. 75 @ 2000 RPM on the nose!

Thanks! Glad you like the wheel choice, I debated for ever whether black would look good on the red sport.

Please keep the postings coming!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSunShyne
Thanks! Glad you like the wheel choice, I debated for ever whether black would look good on the red sport.

Please keep the postings coming!
I think that chrome (IMHO) only looks good on colors like blue, green, or black.

When you have a color that is in warmer, brighter end of the spectrum such as Red, Orange, or Yellow (with the exception of Black since it's color matches), I think that Black looks better because of the contrast. I don't like shiny vehicles with shiny wheels. I think there should be contrast. I have seen a red truck (think it was a Ford) with Black rockstars and it looked great! You definitely made the right choice.

What 37s were you gunna do? THe Toyo MT 37 x 13.5s ?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 AM

I just took a look at your truck in your gallery and I stand even more resolute in my opinion. With the Laramie and Sport group (like I had on my 03), you DEFINITELY want the black wheels; you have no chrome on the truck so the chrome wheels wuld not tie into any aspect of the truck.

Sorry for the analysis, but when you have an architect for a wife-to-be and she studies color theory, it all rubs off !
Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 AM

I think that chrome (IMHO) only looks good on colors like blue, green, or black.

When you have a color that is in warmer, brighter end of the spectrum such as Red, Orange, or Yellow (with the exception of Black since it's color matches), I think that Black looks better because of the contrast. I don't like shiny vehicles with shiny wheels. I think there should be contrast. I have seen a red truck (think it was a Ford) with Black rockstars and it looked great! You definitely made the right choice.

What 37s were you gunna do? THe Toyo MT 37 x 13.5s ?
Again thanx!! I am thinking about the Toyo M/Ts, have been a BFG guy all my driving life, with the exception of a set of Goodyear MTRs that were . I have heard lotsa good things about Toyo's M/T. One other question would come to mind tho......how will a 8.5" wide wheel and a 13.5" tire workout....
Old 02-15-2007, 11:53 AM

Again thanx!! I am thinking about the Toyo M/Ts, have been a BFG guy all my driving life, with the exception of a set of Goodyear MTRs that were . I have heard lotsa good things about Toyo's M/T. One other question would come to mind tho......how will a 8.5" wide wheel and a 13.5" tire workout....
Perfectly as far as what you want it to do. I ran the Nitto Mud Grappler on my H2. That was a 38x15.50 (actually a 16.25 in actualy size) on 18x10s and it was perfect. You will find the same thing with your setup. I would definitely do the M/Ts. They really are the perfect tire. Extreme off-road or snow/mud driving then you need the Mud Grapplers, but if you want 90% of the performance with 90% less noise, you want the Toyos!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Perfectly as far as what you want it to do. I ran the Nitto Mud Grappler on my H2. That was a 38x15.50 (actually a 16.25 in actualy size) on 18x10s and it was perfect. You will find the same thing with your setup. I would definitely do the M/Ts. They really are the perfect tire. Extreme off-road or snow/mud driving then you need the Mud Grapplers, but if you want 90% of the performance with 90% less noise, you want the Toyos!

Sounds like it will work, great! Think I will see too much of the tire sticking out?? I dont wanna fling too much mud and uhhhhhh other material all over the truck
Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 PM

Sounds like it will work, great! Think I will see too much of the tire sticking out?? I dont wanna fling too much mud and uhhhhhh other material all over the truck
I can't remember if you have flares or not, but if you don't they will solve that problem!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:15 PM

The 37's should work 4.5" of lift, but you may want to consider a 12.5" wide tire, such as the BFG MTs.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
The 37's should work 4.5" of lift, but you may want to consider a 12.5" wide tire, such as the BFG MTs.
I did not realize that the BFG was narrower...Interesting!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:22 PM

I did not realize that the BFG was narrower...Interesting!

I had looked at that but thought for a M/T the Toyo was better for the wear and the noise. I can handle a bit of sticking out, but I do want to keep it to a minimum, but wear and noise are more important to me. I would think flares can correct it, but I would rather not have to do them...
Old 02-15-2007, 03:25 PM

From 33" to 35".....my next set will be 37"!(4.5 Lift)
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-15-2007, 03:33 PM

I had looked at that but thought for a M/T the Toyo was better for the wear and the noise. I can handle a bit of sticking out, but I do want to keep it to a minimum, but wear and noise are more important to me. I would think flares can correct it, but I would rather not have to do them...
Go 37s then; I doubt you will be unhappy.

Quick Reply: 35s or 37s ??????