3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2007 dodge Cummins 5.9

Old 11-26-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 dodge Cummins 5.9

i have a 2007 dodge Cummins 5.9 when I would turn the key it would click and I would continue to cycle it and it would eventually start. i decided to hook the charger to it to see if it was a lack of power and the charger tried to weld itself to the battery. i took my conections off and cleaned them once I hooked them up it started smoking and the horn and windshield wipers came on without the key in the ignition. it wouisn't stop till I disconnected both batteries. i haven' hooked them back up because im afraid it will continue to burn whatever is burning. was looking for advice on what my problem might be thanks!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my past experience with these dodges it’s common to experience the horn an wiperr issue when the TIPM is shorted.

It is also likely that you could have Initaly had faulty batteries with low amperage and voltage and hooking the charger up caused further malfunctions. I’ve had an alternator dead short to ground on these trucks when under a heavy load. Positive post of alternator becomes a ground. Usually the link will burn up before issues.

Someone else may may have better advice but I would assume the TIPM needs replaced. I’d follow up on it before hand and make sure there isn’t other issues that shorted TIPM. The one dodge we bypassed the relay in the TIPM and got things working correctly. Safe... no. Yet we had conformation it was indeed TIPM.