3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 5.9 Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 5.9 Tuner

I recently bought a 2007 5.9 Cummins Dodge 4x4. It is stock. I want to add a tuner to it that I can control through the OBDII port. I had a 99 2500 years ago and used a Superchips back then. I have been away from the diesel game for long time now. I see there is a lot of new toys out there.

Could I get some suggestions for a tuner that will give me some modest power and more importantly better fuel economy without having to add gauges and all that stuff? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Smarty Junior would be good if you're just looking for a little bump. I wouldn't run it on three without gauges...
Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 PM

Is the JR going to help me on fuel mileage? What is the difference in the Jr and the 60 I believe it is called.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

It will. It will make the truck run smoother too.

If you were closer, I'd let you try out my smarty. The difference is awesome.

I'm not sure what the 60 is.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM

did you mean the S-06?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:48 PM

EFI LIVE. could add a 50hp eco/towing tune. really don't need gauges to run it either but a guy can never go wrong with gauges.

Edge makes the mileage max. easy to install. 35hp gain. helps throttle response. doesn't smoke. helps mpg from 1-2.

There is so many programmers and chips to choose from... I like my mp-8 and smarty... My complaint on the smarty is waiting to program. The smarty jr i guess you can shift on the fly...

I am seriously thinking about a PPE HOT before the EPA shuts them down to kinda like what happen to H&S. But a guy can still get a mini-max in Canada but its going to cost a guy $1600 but they are great for the 6.7 liter...
Old 08-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by hot_runner58
did you mean the S-06?
Yes that is what I meant. What is the difference in the Jr and the S-06?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Let me ask a question this way. What is the best bang for the buck? What can I get the most fuel mileage and power game for the lowest price? I do not want to have to constantly fool with it. I want to load the programming and just ride. So what is simple, easy, and fuel efficient. Thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

My vote is for the smarty junior. If you can find one in the classifieds, it would probably be the best bang for your buck. I don't know if an EFI Live distributor would sell you just one tune, but a good tune writer can give you exactly what you want... it might just take you more time, and it's one tune and that's it.

The difference in the Jr and S06 is the junior has three levels of tuning (basically) and the Sr has 10 (basically). And money. You wouldn't be able to use the S06 to its full potential with no other mods.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM

I had a smarty jr. With the mp8 and loved it. The reason i would possibly go with the S-06 is you can turn the power up later if you upgrade your truck more. But price wise the jr. Is more affordable.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the regular SMARTY and have it set to 5. It really woke the girl up, its like a new truck.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:22 PM

Got a Smarty Jr installed last night. I went ahead and put it on the Performance setting. WOWOWOWOWO. I love it. Just got to get it fine tuned. What is the best setting for fuel economy?

Next question. A fellow Soldier told me that my cam shaft was part of the EGR process on my 07. He told me that the TDC held some of the exhaust gases in the combustion chamber instead of allowing them to escape. He told me that I could change the cam shaft out and get better power and mileage, along with lower EGT's. Does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone? Thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 AM

Nice work on getting a good one. Glad you found one that suits ya
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock-Hard
Got a Smarty Jr installed last night. I went ahead and put it on the Performance setting. WOWOWOWOWO. I love it. Just got to get it fine tuned. What is the best setting for fuel economy?

Next question. A fellow Soldier told me that my cam shaft was part of the EGR process on my 07. He told me that the TDC held some of the exhaust gases in the combustion chamber instead of allowing them to escape. He told me that I could change the cam shaft out and get better power and mileage, along with lower EGT's. Does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone? Thanks
The in-cylinder egr is correct. It is also correct that you can change out the cam and make gains. For most folks the gains aren't going to be out of this world dramatic, but are there-- the cam profile you choose is important and be honest for what you want it to do. Many guys have bought aggressive cams and then are disappointed when low end torque and turbo spool drop off. Consider your actual needs, and then decide if the cost of putting in a new cam is worth it to you. Usually, the cost for installation exceeds the cost of the cam.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
The in-cylinder egr is correct. It is also correct that you can change out the cam and make gains. For most folks the gains aren't going to be out of this world dramatic, but are there-- the cam profile you choose is important and be honest for what you want it to do. Many guys have bought aggressive cams and then are disappointed when low end torque and turbo spool drop off. Consider your actual needs, and then decide if the cost of putting in a new cam is worth it to you. Usually, the cost for installation exceeds the cost of the cam.

Thanks for the info. So since I am not trying to build a 500 HP truck, it probably isn't worth it. I was basically curious if changing the cam would improve fuel mileage and power, and even EGTs.

Quick Reply: 2007 5.9 Tuner