3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2004.5 DD/Towing Build

Old 12-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 DD/Towing Build

Thank you for your help in advance. This is my first post in this forum. I currently have been a member of a ford powerstroke forum for many years. But this is my first time looking into a Cummins vehicle so i wanted to get some opinions first.

I currently own:
Early '99 F350SD CCLB Fx4
DriveLine

7.3L PSD ~120K
ZF6 ~NEW
4.10 LS Gears
38x13.50x20 Toyo Open Country M/T
Manual Shift 4WD
Mile Marker Supreme Lockouts
Timken Wheel Hubs
Moog Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, U-Joints
Suspension
10" Superlift
2" Front Block & Leaf Hangers, 3.5" Factory Rear Block
Dual Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks
Dual Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer
Carrier Bearing Drop
Performance Mods
S&B Intake
4" Down Pipe
5" MBRP Exhaust w\ 6" MBRP Tip
PHP Hydra Chip
ISSPRO Gauges - Boost, Pyro, Fuel Pressure
Power Stop Z36 Pads and Rotors
Add-Ons
Smoked LED Taillights
Smoked Cab Lights
Foil Delete
New ICP w/ pigtail
New CPS w/ pigtail
Rebuilt IPR

I am looking at a 2004.5 Cummins RAM 2500
The current owner of truck is the owner of a diesel performance shop.
He has ordered the current parts for the build. But will change the injectors and turbo if i want something different.

66/80 Silver Phatshaft Turbo
180HP Injectors
Banks Big Ram Kit
ATS Twin CP3 kit
Stage 6 ATS Transmission and TQ
ATS billet flex plate
Airdog 200 lift pump with stock filter delete
100% new brakes including rotors
Smoked headlights, tail lights and cab lights
Rebuilt transfer case
Spicer u-joints on Everything
Arp 625 Custom Age headstuds
ARP Main Bolts and Rod Bolts
Custom rear bumper
All new front end parts
Stainless intake elbow with 5 ports
New water pump
New red top optima batteries with life time warranty
Cowl induction hood
MADs Smarty Touch Screen
Edge juice with attitude
New bed
New Tailgate

Coming from PSD i dont know a whole lot about cummins engine mods but i am doing my best to learn as quickly as possible.
Looking at this list is there anything else that would need to be done to this truck. Not just engine but the entire truck over all.

What are common problems that need to be addressed?
Will all these mods work well together?

This will be my daily driver. I want a good reliable truck. I tow my Cobra Coosa 216 bassboat all over the country and tow a 8k# excavator about once a year.
Will this make a good reliable truck for these purposes?

Are these mods way over kill for what i need?
Will this injector/turbo setup be too smokey and laggy for my needs?

What would the fuel economy be like on this truck?
What would the estimated HP/TQ values be on it?
Old 12-20-2015, 02:42 PM

I'm not going to say much (way to many guys here with WAY more experience), those injectors seem to be way big, and I would probably ditch the edge and go with the smarty or do an EFI live set up since your going this far...

One thing you didn't mention is the IC make sure yours doesn't have the plastic ends on it.

What is your goal? Seems like your wanting a Race/Tow truck or Race/while towing truck..
Old 12-20-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know you are just looking for more opinions, but what we told you here is accurate info and you will only hear the same things. New To Cummins, what to look for - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Old 12-20-2015, 07:53 PM

exactly, just trying to get more opinions.
not doubting anything i've heard so far.

I am not in any way looking to race.
I want a daily driver, reliable, dependable, very well built above and beyond what i would need to comfortably tow my 21'6" bassboat around the country, drive it to work every day, and if i need to be able to tow 8-10k.

The guy who owns the vehicle said he would set it up with a tune using the smarty. If i decide to buy it.
Also i have a good friend who owns a tuning company. He specilizes in gassers but he has a 2005 2500 CR with 50hp injectors and he does his tuning for it. He is going to tune this one also with HP tuners if i decided to buy it.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
me personally, i wouldnt get that truck. it has too much going on and i wouldnt need it, even if i was towing what you tow
Old 12-21-2015, 11:44 AM

Just for the sake of comparison did you take a look at my truck list?

I have done a ton to it. And plan on either 160cc/30%nozzles or 175/80%nozzles, UVCH, glow plugs, complete fuel system upgrade, and a Garret 7.3L Van turbo (60mm comp inducer, 80mm comp exducer, 76.2mm turb inducer, 69.84mm turb exducer, turb trim 84, exhaust A/R 1.15 non wastegated) with 360deg bearing upgrade as well as a billet wheel. Not because it needs any of that but because i think it will perform better both as a DD and towing with it.
Currently with stock 130cc injectors with Stock Nozzles and Stock Turbo I get about 14-15mpg.

The only reason i considered a trade was for possible improved MPG and a newer truck.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
For reliably towing all over the country, a stock truck will do pretty good with a tune and maybe twins using the stock turbo for a primary. I pull a 8k lb camper all over the northeast usually into the mountains of New Hampshire, VT and Maine several times through the year, and last year my stock 07 did a pretty good job IMHO. Even my old 12v just has pump mods and did it with out much trouble for the last ~10 years.

I think the injector / turbo choice might be a little much for your needs, would be fun when your not towing though. Should be capable of almost twice the power of your 7.3, strong as they are.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A big single with big injectors is going to suck for towing. Lots of black smoke and turbo lag.

For DD/Towing it's best to stick closer to stock and use a programmer like a Smarty Jr. or S-06 for a bump in power. Beefing up the auto is a good idea for longevity.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 PM

well the auto is a stage 6 ATS so i think its all set there.
Even towing relatively light loads you still think it will be smokey and laggy?
Generally im DD, weekend towing bassboat, ignore the occasional excavator towing, it can bellow all the smoke it wants i dont care its like once a year or less.

Coming from a 7.3L i dont consider that too be that big of a turbo...its barely bigger than my stock turbo, much less the one im building. As far as injectors there is no way too compare. My 7.3L build will be around 400hp which is the happy place too be for towing with a 7.3L. I dont expect it to be exceptionally laggy or smokey at all. Especially after a good tune.

Is the reason big turbos are laggy on cummins because they re such smaller displacement engines that they dont produce as much exhaust gas?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Here's a decent test article between different turbos on the 5.9 Cummins.

Which Turbo Is Best For You - Upgrading Your Diesels Turbocharger - Diesel Power Magazine
Old 12-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the article very interesting read. And very informative.
Has anyone done a similar article with a little higher performance injector/turbos?

Looks like for daily driving RPMs the stock turbo takes the cake. For a performance boost with little added lag the Aurora 3000 is pretty dang good all the way around.

The main think i take away from this is i would buy the ED all day long over the Killer B. Its identical all the way up to 2300 RPMs and then it skyrockets well above the Killer B. Plus the drive pressure ratio is better on it.

But in all honesty there is only about .5s lag difference in them and the the silver bullet 62. But it seems to out perform both the ED and killer B. Personally i dont see a place for the Killer B or ED at all and the killer B seems to be really popular. If you are looking for bigger peak HP go with the silver bullet 62 you dont sacrifice much over the ED at 1700RPMs at it give a healthy HP boost from 2K all the way out to 3K. And the peak HP is barely less but the peak torque is actually higher.

I really dont see how you could notice .5s difference in lag and when downshifting to pass someone your RPMs are high enough that i really dont think you would see the difference. Plus the silver bullet 62 has the highest average usable HP.

I would love to see the same type of comparison done with 100+HP injectors and 62+mm turbos?
Old 12-24-2015, 10:44 AM

Remember it's just not the lag but there are other factors to consider. Mainly the efficiency range. A big turbo works great if your turning 2400 RPMs and above but will suck if towing at say 1800 RPMs. The payback is lots of smoke and high EGT's. Personally the best setup in your case if wanting to go large on the injectors is to look at twins. Gives you the best of both worlds.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:38 AM

with 35" tires on 3.73 gears and that tranny i dunno what RPM i'll be towing at.
The highway is never a problem though so i cant image caring what the power is at 2400+RPMs. Generally on back roads is where it is hilly and there im sure i would be under or around 2K RPMs.

My truck now is a ZF6 tranny. Over drive gear is 0.72:1 and i have 4.10 gears with 38" tires. On the highway at 70mph i turn 2k RPMs. back road driving im usually between 1300-1700RPMs but for big hills i usually downshift to get to about 2K. I dont have any turbo under 1750RPMs. But i dont really need any turbo under 1750 it has plenty of power and my EGTs stay low enough. I just downshift so it doesnt lug the engine as bad.

I dunno that i'll be trading for this truck. I think i might just let it go. I dont know enough to make a well educated decision. And its 9.5hrs away.

I offered my truck and $6500 for it with 60hp injectors and a super B. Not sure i want that turbo but its what he recommended. He asked for more pics of my truck. I would like a compound turbo setup but i dunno that im willing to put out enough money for it. I might just stick with my truck.