3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

07 5.9 minor build up

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 5.9 minor build up

My 98 12 valve was getting pretty ratty with 280k hard city miles, so I picked up a 2007 quad cab 4x4 auto truck as a replacement. I run a small fabrication and construction business, so the truck will see a lot of time hauling materials. I probably have a 20' trailer half of the time, either loaded with steel of a skid steer. My goal is usually to get better power and reliability without killing mileage, and with the 98 12 valve I had it. Maybe you all can tell me what you think of my plans for this truck? It has 80k, and is bone stock. So far I've added a large CAT 2 micron fuel filter, an 8 micron transmission filter in the cooler line, and gauges. I got a deal on an EGT/ boost/ rail pressure set of glowshift gauges, and while I'm not crazy about how they look, they get the job done. 4 Bilsteins are here waiting. On the order next list are:
Pacbrake
Georend triple disc, valve body, strap, anchor, lever, billet input (If things look bad when I'm that far into the trans I'll send it for a more complete rebuild.)
I'd like a trans controller rather than a lockup switch, the ATS (I know) copilot has good reviews, and I am leaning that way. I haven't found a comparable product made by anyone else?
Smarty, or Smarty Jr. I'll just bump it up 70-80hp. Do the settings add timing?
All off my reading here has turned me off of cold air intakes or larger exhausts, it sounds like stock should be fine for my needs.
The turbo has a little play in the shaft, so I will plan a rebuild for the future. Doing a little snooping on the BAE website, I see they have rebuilt cartridges with larger turbines and compressor wheels to fit the stock housings. I've read that stock is fine for mild engines, but as I'm taking it apart anyway, would any of these be a worthwhile investment?
BAE Turbo Systems - High Performance Upgrade
Am I missing anything else?
As always, many thanks in advance. SD