3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

04.5 trans upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
04.5 trans upgrade advice

A friend of mine will be getting a 04.5 2500 with the auto, currently stock, and he wants to do some transmission upgrades before he starts any engine mods. Since my last auto was left stock and I currently run a 6 speed, seeking advice on what we can do short of buying a built aftermarket trans. The truck will be a daily driver and seldom pull more than 10,000#. Engine mods will be lite to start with, programmer, air filter, lift pump... Plans down the road include twins, bigger injectors, cam, etc, but thats down the road a ways. For now, he just wants the trans to be able to hold up till that day comes with the lesser mods while he saves money for the real build.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Saggonwaggon:

I would recommend to your friend that he at least install a good triple disc converter, a better valvebody and increase line pressure. If your friend has the money, I would also update the clutch packs where he can. Those mods should help his truck alot.

Hope this helps you some.

-------
John_P
Old 05-06-2017, 06:36 PM

I'll probably get him started with the converter, vd, and increase the line pressure. It's a low mileage truck that has been babied since new by the original owner. That should get him by till he saves the money for a good built unit
Old 07-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I built mine myself and I've been happy with it for the last +30k running it pretty hard and not backing down when towing a larger skid steer, or boats, etc... Mine consist of a heavy duty flywheel, billet input, triple disk convertor, trans go shift kit, GM solenoid kit, red alto 7/5 clutch pack upgrades, kev band and upped the pressure.. The tranny on these trucks are the easiest vehicles around to pull the tranny's out of..
Old 07-10-2017, 08:24 PM

The last dodge transmission I was in was an old 727 and that was just to tear it apart. What all special tools will I need to tear into this one?
Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 AM

The 48re is basically a 727 unit with an overdrive system mounted on the back.. A couple of snap ring pliers is probably the only odd tool that you might not have handy.... But if you need to get into the overdrive unit (I didn't) you will need a basket and shop press to compress the overdrive clutch system and remove and reinstall... The good thing is the over drive system in these are pretty much trouble free unless your breaking shafts and need to replace...

Check out PATC for most of your parts needs, I bought my input shaft and SFI heavy duty flywheel off E-bay, and my triple disc convertor came from Dodge Diesel Converters | Diesel Performance Converters | The Best Diesel Converters at the Best Price

Do yourself a favor and get this manual, it's well worth it...
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...sdie-sel-atsg/

Also do this, you won't regret it (I didn't at first and still had the occasional shuttle shifting, this made the transmission hold gears like it should have from the beginning)...
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...onversion-kit/
Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM

When I pulled the tranny, I found the best way was to leave the front end on the ground and raise the rear end up. unbolt the tranny (on a tranny jack) lower it roll it straight towards the rear end and then rotate it 180 degrees so the bell housing can get around the frame rail and rear tire to come out... Do yourself a favor and use a tranny jack, my triple disc convertor alone weights around 75lbs...
Old 07-12-2017, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the info, if its like I remember, should be as easy as doing a 4L80E. Tranny jack is a must, not as young as I once was. LOL.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Only advice I have is that if you plan to stay in the low HP range for now, I would look into a nice Single Disc T/C. I really liked how my truck drove with the Single better before I had to upgrade to a Triple Disc with my motor build.