3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

~So does EVERY SINGLE AFTERMARKET FUEL system run out of fuel at 1/4 tank????~

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
~So does EVERY SINGLE AFTERMARKET FUEL system run out of fuel at 1/4 tank????~

So does EVERY SINGLE AFTERMARKET FUEL system run out of fuel at 1/4 tank????
I keep hearing about it and would like to know if it is one after market system or all of them???
I am about to install a AirDog 150 and I want to make my own pick-up set-up if I am going to be running out of fuel at 1/4 tank....is the only way to stop it to tap the main sender/fuel canister in the tank with my own 1/2" flexible pick-up tube???
I did see the wicked diesel fix at the other place but I was wondering if that's the only option out there right now??
thanks in advance
Mark
Old 12-01-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope. GDP 392 with pick up tube trimmed to fit as per the directions. I can run down past the red. Not sure why so many have problems
Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 AM

Check it out:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=179531
Old 12-01-2007, 12:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i have a fass pump and have run mine out of fuel once.
i know it's not good but it was unavoidable.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sapps
Nope. GDP 392 with pick up tube trimmed to fit as per the directions. I can run down past the red. Not sure why so many have problems
see I have read post that the GDP walbro has same issue????
Old 12-01-2007, 01:18 AM

Mark, cruise down the road to Draper one of these days and I'll run mine into the red just to prove it! It all depends on how you place the angled cut side of the pickup tube. Cut it a 1/4 inch too short and you're missing a 1/4 inch of fuel across the entire tank. Also, when torquing down the bolt that holds the pickup tube, make sure the pickup tube doesn't turn while you're tightening it. That would screw up your angle.

My tube actually touches the bottom of the tank and bends just a tad because it's a little long. The angle cut is what rests on the bottom of the tank.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:23 AM
trx

well i followed the directions as well right down to the angle cut sitting on the bottom of the tank but as soon as i get down to 1/4 tank fuel pressure drops erratically. At 1/4 tank i'm sure pick up tube is still submerged in fuel not sure what the problem is
Old 12-01-2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by trx
well i followed the directions as well right down to the angle cut sitting on the bottom of the tank but as soon as i get down to 1/4 tank fuel pressure drops erratically. At 1/4 tank i'm sure pick up tube is still submerged in fuel not sure what the problem is
Oh, I thought people were actually running out of gas at 1/4 tank. I could see how fuel pressure could be erratic if you are sloshing the fuel around at 1/4 tank or below. I tend to drive a lil more conservatively at 1/4 tank or below, just cuz I don't want air being sucked into the system.

Yes, it is kinda lame that you can't drive hard all the way til the last drop of fuel. I guess I just considered it a tradeoff, steady high fuel pressure with the aftermarket pump but having to refuel at 1/4 tank or below...or having to deal with the always low pressure and unreliability of the stock pump.

I'm glad people are thinking of ways to get around this problem. I will definitely be onboard when someone comes up with a better design using the GDP or Mitusa or similar pump.

Jared
Old 12-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, at a 1/4 tank, my pressure gets funky when I stop or take hard turns. I have not ran out of fuel, and when I am on the go pedal or stopped, I do not have any problems.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 AM

same here, mine will drain the tank dry if you're sitting still or driving steadily down the highway. but if you get below 1/4 tank and come to a stop light, the fuel will slosh forward and cause air to get into the pickup tube (and then your pressure starts acting irratic for a few minutes until the bubble is worked out). If you stop hard enough, it IS possible to get enough air in the lines to kill the engine. The walbro will pull fuel, but its not very good at pulling air

so anyway....i assume you can just run down to the dealer and order the Jeep Liberty CRD fuel cannister? Any idea how much they cost? Are there any flow limitations with the size of its pick-up tube? (probably fine for most people as-is I would assume though)

Old 12-01-2007, 07:14 AM

So i guess that with the Jeep CRD modd coupled with like the Mitusa or GDP Fuel Boss the factory system will no longer be needed after the 1/4 tank mark, and wont have to drill the extra pickup tube into the tank. So now if u buy one of these system u will have extra parts left over ( pickup tube,hobbs switch,etc), wonder if we could call and just get the parts we need to cut the cost down abit? This may be a great fix if the cost of the Jeep CRD cannister dosent cost that much, but if ya can get the fuel system without the parts we dont need then it may equal out?????
Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 AM

But then we need a way to prime the system after filter change with these (Mitusa,GDP FB) systems.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 AM
wap

I generally fill up around 1/8 and I dont really notice eratic fp until below 1/4. Mark if it makes any differance to you even filling up at 1/8 I can still get about 38 gallons in my truck with the vent tube moved. I would defintately do the vent mod while you got the tank out, that way it more than evens out haveing to fill up at 1/8-1/4.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 AM

I have a problem that when I'm slightly below 1/4 tank, my truck will not start on the first crank. I have the 392 w/ comp kit. I have to bump the starter, let the pump go a few seconds, then recrank???
Old 12-01-2007, 08:44 AM

My suggestion(and what I'll probably do) is use a rigid pickup tube, cut it 1-2" away from the bottom, to prevent it from rubbing thru the tank, and just put 1-2" of rubber hose on the bottom, with the angle cut on the end, that one to two inches of hose wont have the length to curl up OR move around with the fuel when its low and slosh about losing fuel being picked up....

Quick Reply: ~So does EVERY SINGLE AFTERMARKET FUEL system run out of fuel at 1/4 tank????~