Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   What Would Happen (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/what-would-happen-265711/)

Navy7797 03-09-2010 08:25 PM

What Would Happen

What would happen if I changed out the ECM with a used one from a junk Yard ?
Has anybody used a used one ?
Will it effect the odometer reading ?
Will the dealer be able to tell if I used a different one than put back the orginal ?
I'm thinking Smarty without the warrentie issues.
What do you folks think ???

Blake Clark 03-09-2010 08:46 PM

Im not sure about how you would go about making the truck read the new ECM. It may require some sort of reprogramming or reflashing. This is a question I would shoot over to MADS.

Odometer I have no clue about.

Im 99.99% sure if the dealer dug enough they could tell the original had been removed and replaced.

Navy7797 03-09-2010 10:02 PM

Ecm

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 2721628)
Im not sure about how you would go about making the truck read the new ECM. It may require some sort of reprogramming or reflashing. This is a question I would shoot over to MADS.

Odometer I have no clue about.

Im 99.99% sure if the dealer dug enough they could tell the original had been removed and replaced.

Blake: I'd put the orginal one back on before I went to the dealer if I was still in warranty. After that I don't care, It'll all be out of my pocket anyhow.

I sent my question off to MADS

got_soot 03-10-2010 12:52 AM

I see where your going with it but I dont think it could be done as previously mentioned. Im not a expert but i remember my buddies 04 getting replaced with a new one and the dealer had to do some programming with the master computer. i believe it doesnt mess with the od. Im sure the dealer could find out.prolly some security tape on the wires or in deep inside the ecm or something of that nature and just grab a smarty do the deletes and be done with it. so far i have not heard of any complaints besides of trucks running over 600 hp breaking stuff inside the engine or tranny.

Blake Clark 03-10-2010 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Navy7797 (Post 2721737)
Blake: I'd put the orginal one back on before I went to the dealer if I was still in warranty. After that I don't care, It'll all be out of my pocket anyhow.

I sent my question off to MADS

You have an extended warranty?

If the dealer were to dig deep enough Im sure they could tell if they were swapped.

Its a chance your taking either way. Take a chance of voiding the warranty with the Smarty, or take a chance of voiding it with the Smarty and the new ECM.

Navy7797 03-10-2010 02:31 PM

Mads answer

Hello,
in 2009 trucks, the ECM memory content has to be adapted to the truck.
A simple replacement is not enough. The operation should be done by the Dodge service or anyway by personnel with the necessary programming tools.
After the ECM has been installed properly in the truck, Smarty can be used.

Stefano Negrini - MADS

I guess theres no winning these days.

Blake Clark 03-10-2010 09:53 PM

Not a chance it would be something simple.

Seems like your choice is all or nothing.

I jumped in the deep end and have loved every minute of the swim.

Lil Dog 03-10-2010 11:05 PM

The 6.7 ECM is serial number locked to the injectors. If you did do a swap you would need the StarScan tool to "relearn" the injectors and sensors. Not simple at all anymore.

Blake Clark 03-11-2010 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog (Post 2722654)
The 6.7 ECM is serial number locked to the injectors. If you did do a swap you would need the StarScan tool to "relearn" the injectors and sensors. Not simple at all anymore.

Good call LD

Forgot about the injector situation. Even if you just swap out injectors for upgrades or new ones, they cannot be replaced out of order cause the ECM learns there position.

got_soot 03-11-2010 11:49 PM

advancements in technology is getting far out there. Its going to be hard to keep up with all this.

Blake Clark 03-12-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by got_soot (Post 2723596)
advancements in technology is getting far out there. Its going to be hard to keep up with all this.

Yup, my 08 is my last new truck.

From here on out Im going backwards.