3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Up'n the Ante...Ford Twins

Old 02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, update...I read back through Diesel Power to get the skinny on this new setup. It is, just like GhettoVaquero said, a sequential setup, not actual "twins"...Ford also claims that they put out "up to" 42psi...which sounds good to me, but even still...given their past 4 years of productivity and problems, this all newly designed quickly pushed out the door product has me VERY skeptical. For those who haven't seen the engine bay on this new Ford...it looks like somebody trying to smuggle 10 illegal aliens into the country under the hood of the blue ovaled pick up...

Derek
Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by benito
If that is the case, then Ford is brand in the process of dying.
I hope not. They make a good truck. In "our" opinion, they rolled the dice in the wrong direction with the 6.0/6.4 in comparison to the cummins.

What makes you think the more complicated 6.4 will be anymore reliable?
I dont. No one stated that.

I hope Ford gets their act together. Truck consumers will eventually suffer if Ford can't put together a reliable diesel offering.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

What had me excited was the competitive nature of the business. Dodge and GM cnat just sit still and let it pass without doing anything. Everytime one of them ups the ante (ie., the title of this thread), the others are almost forced to respond in some fashion.

If they are offering factory twins, then someone is going to develope hop ups for that, and that will drive more technology changes. In the end (and hopefully there never is one!), its going to improve the products available to us. Now, based on what has been said here, maybe it would be more beneficial for a cummins to have that sequential setup to meet emissions rather than the 3rd injection event - which is what supposedly killed our fuel mileage in the post 04.5's

Yes, Ford has the most cramped engine compartment out there. They might as well put a plastic lid across the dang thing.

I didnt realize my sig was turned off. Not sure when that happened. FWIW, I'm on my 4th Ram since '97, second cummins. Wouldnt drive anything else....unless it was a Ford with a Cummins!!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Wow! I just went onto Edmunds.com and priced the 08' Super Duty with the EXACT features that you can get a 2500 Laramie with and here is the price difference...Ford Super duty true market value $56,665 (and that was for the loaded F-250)....Laramie true market value $48,377 (2500 model)...which do you think that I would go with? Both were selected with the same options, by the way...Granted, I wouldn't pay EITHER price as they are negotiable, but that is what true market value claims for both...RIDICULOUS.

Derek
Old 02-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Lighten up fellas would ya. The Ford engine is truly an interesting topic. GM rattled the market when they came out with the D-Max. It turned out great for the Dodge owners. DC quieted the Cummins and produced more power with it to stay competitive. I am like Thiessan, I don't want to own a Ford but their technology with twin turbos is interesting. Some on this site cringe when a Ford or GM are complimented. Whats up with that? I like to see new technology. I won't get a new pickup for at least 7-10 years anyway. Good for Ford or GM. At least there is progress. The 6.4 has to be better than the 6.0 anyways. Ford lost a considerable amount of market share.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhoozYaDaddy
Lighten up fellas would ya. The Ford engine is truly an interesting topic. GM rattled the market when they came out with the D-Max. It turned out great for the Dodge owners. DC quieted the Cummins and produced more power with it to stay competitive. I am like Thiessan, I don't want to own a Ford but their technology with twin turbos is interesting. Some on this site cringe when a Ford or GM are complimented. Whats up with that? I like to see new technology. I won't get a new pickup for at least 7-10 years anyway. Good for Ford or GM. At least there is progress. The 6.4 has to be better than the 6.0 anyways. Ford lost a considerable amount of market share.
Not bashing Ford...if you read back a bit I praised the 7.3...it was and in a lot of trucks out there, still IS a VERY good, VERY reliable motor. Had I not been searching for a NEW truck, I would have even considered an early model 03' PSD...but I wanted more power and more re-sale when it comes time to get another new vehicle. The 6.0 took a thrashing all the way from the assembly lines in late 2003 until this year...I am really hoping that the 6.4 doesn't take the same road, but when I read about lawsuits between manufacturers and the people that they entrust to put motors in their vehicles, I get a bad taste in my mouth and tend to QUICKLY shy away...that's all. I just watched a video on the Diesel Power website of an 08' 6.4 STOCK putting down 274hp/630tq...those are good numbers, ESPECIALLY stock...whether or not the motor holds up for 2, 3, 4, or even 500k+ will be their trial.

Derek
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM

I know what Fords problem is.

They had Toby Keith do commercials for them. He was probably started doin the "I'm a ford truck man song" in 03. So am I on to something or on something.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM

12.7 billion in losses over the last year.....
Ford states 100,000 super dutys sales drop.....<-----Junk 6.0's that they would not stand behind.
I came over from Ford a 2000 with a 7.3 with 200,00 flawless miles. Was a great truck but no way was I buying a 6.0 when it came time for as new truck.... Hence the MEGA.
Now they are offering a "NEW" engine again this year "08" ..... Anyone getting in line...?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by dodgepower88
I know what Fords problem is.

They had Toby Keith do commercials for them. He was probably started doin the "I'm a ford truck man song" in 03. So am I on to something or on something.
I definately think you're on to something there.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:46 PM

I know there is a lot of ford bashing around this site, but I hope the 6.4 turns out better than the 6.0 otherwise I think they will be quickly working themselves out of this market and frankly I don't want the big 3 to someday be dodge, chevy and toyota.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 PM

Ford should have International build them an inline six (5.9) with turbo. International put that motor in their 5ton tractors in the 80's...Well, they put it in at least ONE 5ton tractor that I've driven several times.

It ran fine, sounded great, and towed great.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 PM

If you look at the 6.7 turbo it has a cast in boss on the exhaust housing, looks like a great place for another turbo! I'm sure that Cummins has looked at twins in a stock truck, but hey, they're selling better than Fords right now so why would they do it?!

Plus, having the "Variable Geometry Turbo" is like twins - kind of - small housing on low boost bigger housing on higher boost. Ok - maybe it doesn't breath as well or sound as cool as "TWINS". It was worth a try! Ford will never win my money!

DH
Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JThiessen
Wouldnt drive anything else....unless it was a Ford with a Cummins!!!!
well, ford owns cummins so that might happen soon.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
well, ford owns cummins so that might happen soon.
they don't own cummins, they have money invested in shares, they started buying in the early 90's when they heard dodge was going to put them in their trucks ( and good thing they did cause they need money from some where). i own stock in Tim horton's, wendy's and micky D's , does this mean i "own" these company's ?? no i am just like ford with cummins, invested hoping to make a return, don't believe me?? look for yourself.http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/c...4A0004AC33EA57
Old 02-06-2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by SRTchris
they don't own cummins, they have money invested in shares, they started buying in the early 90's when they heard dodge was going to put them in their trucks ( and good thing they did cause they need money from some where). i own stock in Tim horton's, wendy's and micky D's , does this mean i "own" these company's ?? no i am just like ford with cummins, invested hoping to make a return, don't believe me?? look for yourself.http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/c...4A0004AC33EA57
He was joking. It's a running joke on the forums that Ford owns Cummins (or Cummings, depends on who's telling the joke). And I believe Ford no longer owns any shares of Cummins...
Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
He was joking. It's a running joke on the forums that Ford owns Cummins (or Cummings, depends on who's telling the joke). And I believe Ford no longer owns any shares of Cummins...
my bad and couple of these too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Up'n the Ante...Ford Twins