Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Starting issue (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/starting-issue-329383/)

Pirate 12-02-2017 08:22 PM

Starting issue

Hi all, having a starting issue. Truck is 2007 6.7 auto trans with full deletes using H&S minimax. Have not been having any problems or signs of bad batteries. Always started right up every time until yesterday morning. Turned the key on and waited for wait to start light to go out. Tried to start and got clicking from starter solenoid. Tried couple more times and then got nothing at all. No codes.

Attempted to jump start but again nothing, not even the clicking. Took batteries out and charged over night. Battery tender chargers indicated fully charged by morning so reinstalled and still nothing, not even clicking.

Took the batteries and had them checked. 1 battery was questionable and the other was good. Replaced both batteries with 1060 CA 900 CCA but same results. Do not even get the solenoid clicking. All lights and dash ligts come on when key turned to run. Radio is off but time is displayed, this goes off when turn key to start. Key fobs still lock and unlock doors. Programmer still communicates with ecm and still no codes.

Any suggestions would be very much appreaciated.

Scubanero 12-03-2017 10:29 AM

Clean all the high current connections from the battery cables to the starter, including the ground cable from the engine to the battery negative. You may need a new starter solenoid.

Pirate 12-03-2017 04:37 PM

Already cleaned all cables at the battery terminals even though no sign of corrosion. Missed cleaning the ground to engine block. Will try that before I replace any other parts. I was thinking I may have messed something up trying to jump start it as I know these trucks are very sensitive to voltage and poor batteries cause all sorts of symptoms. Thanks.

Scubanero 12-03-2017 06:36 PM

Does the solenoid click? If yes, the contacts may be fouled. If no, the low voltage wire may be a problem, or the coil may have failed. You can check all this stuff with a jumper cable. What about the solenoid terminals and the starter terminal?

Pirate 12-04-2017 04:43 AM

No clicks from the solenoid. Cleaned the high voltage cable to starter. Did not remove the low voltage connector. Need to try and push the truck into my garage, much easier to work on and a bit warmer. Thanks for your input. Sounds like I need to concentrate on testing solenoid and it's circuit.

Scubanero 12-04-2017 09:26 AM

You could probably get it started by putting a jumper cable on the starter side of the solenoid.

dodgebre3500 12-04-2017 11:43 PM

Your starter could be shot

Scubanero 12-05-2017 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scubanero (Post 3339671)
You could probably get it started by putting a jumper cable on the starter side of the solenoid.

Or not, the starter being integral with the solenoid. The chattering solenoid is normally a sign of a dead battery or high resistance in the high current cables. A totally dead starter could also be due to faulty safety interlock on the clutch or gear selector, depending on the type of transmission.
Put 12V directly on the solenoid coil terminal. No action means a new starter. If it does engage, then look at the interlock.

Pirate 12-06-2017 03:49 AM

I'll give that a shot this weekend. I did attempt to start in N and then put back in P just in case the gear selector lever wasn't in park all the way. Same results, nothing at all. Trans is auto. Again I very much appreaciate the information and suggestions, hope you have a great day.

Pirate 12-10-2017 05:16 PM

Thanks for everything Scubanero, you were right on. The solenoid was the problem. New starter and all is good.