3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Recommendations on Transmission shop in Houston??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations on Transmission shop in Houston??

Just moved to Houston from Nashville.

My transmission has been acting up more and more lately, especially under a load, like pulling a trailer. If I take off from a stop in any manner other than super slow, the transmission will go into a limp or safe mode, where I only have 1st and 4th gear for forward gears. If I park it like a half hour, and then restart it, it will reset until the next time it happens. Doesn't happen as much when the truck is unloaded unless I am in a lot of stop and go traffic. Anyway, from what I have read, it sounds like it could be a solenoid or a valve body issue. I don't know a lot about the inner workings of a transmission, so I don't want to have a shop just start throwing unnecessary parts at it.

I would like to find a shop in the Houston area than knows these 68RFE transmissions and can replace/upgrade the necessary parts. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our trucks have a known issue with valve bodies. the passages are not hardened and over time will cause an issue. I have not changed mine out yet and have 144K on my truck but plan to this year. If you think it is the Valve body or solenoid then you can go after market or a new OEM will have the hardened seats the P/N is Mopar VB is RL033980AC. That is a brand new VB assy (and includes a new solenoid). List price is $675. You can also get a reman VB assy (R8033980AC), which is $577 list, but they are out of stock at the moment.
That is information from TransEngineer on the cumminsforum.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circle D Transmission on Hempstead Hwy.