Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   problems with the G56 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/problems-g56-133228/)

rich 01-21-2007 01:11 PM

problems with the G56

got my 07 in sept and it is starting to hang up in reverse where i have to fight to get it out and then it has shifting problems in the first 3 to 4 gears they changed the fluid at 14k its now at 27k and they still dont have the answer i think its the synchro's anybody else haveing the same problems

mikelr 01-21-2007 06:23 PM

I just stated in the other 6 speed thread how my G56 seems very notchy feeling. I am experiencing most of the same symptoms that you stated,
shifting problems from 3rd to 4th to 5th gears, 6th seems to be smooth. I've experienced at least once having a hard time getting the gear shift out of reverse with the clutch fully depressed.
Double clutching seems to help which pionts to syncros.
What type of fluid was put in your box at 14k?
I'm thinking of putting in Redline MT-90 to see if it helps the syncro operation a bit.
My truck only has just over 1000 miles at this piont so I was hoping that the box would wear in and smooth out but by your description I've got more notchy shifting to come.

CD in NM 01-21-2007 08:06 PM

You need to check the TSB's or recall information with your dealer. They had some problems with some of the G56's last spring, it was ALL about the synchros, they dropped the trannys and changed them. Another problem they had was that the G56's were coming off the line with low fluid capacities in them. That can also increase the notchiness in them. I have just at 12K on mine and it is just now starting to shift better. Either that or I am starting to shift better. It is still very notchy when cold. To have to double-clutch it kind of sounds like a bad hydraulic reservoir. That is another place there have been complaints and warranty replacement. Some who have had troubles there still had problems down line with the hydraulics. I think a couple have gone with aftermarket hyd reservoirs from one of the clutch manufacturers. If I start having either clutch or hydraulic stuff I am just going to go with both as aftermarket parts, better than dealing with it over and over because the stock parts will continue to fail. Nuisance factor.

CD

mikelr 01-21-2007 08:50 PM

That's good info about the low fluid level issue and possible syncro problems. As far as my hydraulics go they are fine, clutch engagement is about half way up the pedal travel so the clutch is fully disengaging with the pedal to the floor. I do hear an annoying clunk with each engagement though, it even does it when you cycle the clutch with the trans in neutral. I think it has something to do with the dual mass flywheel.

rich 01-22-2007 08:50 PM

dealer changed the fluid and has checked for tsb's and have found nothing i dint spend 40 grand on a truck to have a tranny i have to wrestle with every time i change gears. it will not smooth out over time cuz its got 27k on it now and is just as bad or worse. had one of the techs drive today and he said that it doesnt feel right so now its a wait and see what dodge says. i want the complete tranny replaced he said they will probably want just take it apart and fix somethings inside it. its new why would i want it rebuilt in less then 6mo am i wrong in wanting a new tranny.

D-Roc 01-22-2007 09:02 PM

Amsoil Atf smoothed mine out some. But it was good from the start. I was the bad one. Took me awhile to get smooth with it. I am going to try Redline C+ATF next change-it's easy enough to change, not like an auto.

boostjunkie1 01-22-2007 09:19 PM

No problems here! Starting out in the cold is a little bit notchier, but all trannys are at 30deg temps!! Once the fluid warms up it shifts smooth. I will be changing the fluids at 10,000, so 500 more miles. Looking at going towards Amsoil in Tranny, and Royal Purple in all the Diffs and transfer case!

Danderson 01-22-2007 09:41 PM

G-56

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 (Post 1314443)
No problems here! Starting out in the cold is a little bit notchier, but all trannys are at 30deg temps!! Once the fluid warms up it shifts smooth. I will be changing the fluids at 10,000, so 500 more miles. Looking at going towards Amsoil in Tranny, and Royal Purple in all the Diffs and transfer case!

I've got 800 miles on mine and aside from hesitating a second when it's cold for the 2-3 shift,its working well.I've even downshifted from 6th to 3rd and had it I go in smoothly. Luckily,I sensed the goofup and depressed the clutch pedal immediately thus avoiding an overrev situation. I need to get under there and check fluid levels though. The'ye are multi-colored dots at all fill points all over this truck indicating in theory that the assemblers' jobs were checked. I need to drive this thing and get better at rowing.

boostjunkie1 01-22-2007 09:45 PM

When I first started to drive this truck I was so use to the NV5600 that I absolutley Love it. I never power shift it, always depress the clutch while shifting!! More miles the better it has got for me!
JB

pooperscooper 01-23-2007 12:58 AM

Probably why they dont put this tranny in a sports car.[dummy]

Mine seems notchy when she is cold, dont notice it when its warm. Sometimes reverse and 1st can be tricky, but just let up a tad on the clutch pedal and she will drop right in.

Your problem seems like it might be a little bit more than just a big truck tranny. Like mentioned before....maybe hydraulics??