3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

p200c p1451 p242f Cummins 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Cummins 6.7 DPF & Turbo problem

2007 Dodge Megecab 2500 Cummins 6.7

Evening Gents,
Been a lurker since 2010, enjoy the site and informative opinions here. Last Sunday I got in my wife truck (listed there at the top) and the CEL was on. Nothing on the overhead console.

Last time this happened the upper console threw some DPF needs Regen stuff along with low rail pressure. I changed the fuel filter and all codes cleared up and the CEL went out.

The fuel filter this time only has 500 miles on it with an oil change at the same time. I figure Ill change it out anyway after we get back from the trip to get the cattle. Hook up the trailer and off we go. Everything seems normal till the Buttdyno says theres something a little off. I check the HP by laying into the throttle at the base of a hill and then it hits me, the Turbo isnt making any noise. I really listen, look, Buttdyno the truck the rest of the trip (round trip was 50 miles) and its all really good and normal sans the Turbo.

Get it home, use key method to pull codes.

P-200c-Diesel Particulate Filter Over Temperature-Bank 1
P-242f-Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction-Ash Accumulation
P-1451-Diesel Particulate Filter System Performance

Do some research on the codes and its all "your DPF is plugged and wont regen, see a dealer to force regen"

I finally find some info, on this site of course , about washing out the DPF. Sounds great, but all the research up to this point on those codes makes NO mention of the Turbo no spooling. I have the truck at idle and turned on the Exhaust Brake and nothing at all.

So thats where I'm at. Im going to wash out the DPF but Im unsure of pulling the Turbo to clean it as well. Not sure of the connection. Does the Turbo stop if the DPF is plugged?

Need some experianced input please
Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM

My 08 Ram just did the same thing...

Top of this Forum:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...g-t319248.html

Lots of good information. But, I am still have the P242F and the P1451. I think those 2 codes have to be cleared by a dealer or someone that has Dodges OEM reader.

So, with a nothing to lose mentality, I did the EGR clean on my truck for about $20 buck and about 4 hours. It took about 15 minutes to remove the EGR Valve and 15 minutes to put it back on. The other 3 1/2 hours were spend watching a bit of TV while my valve soaked in Simple Green. This weekend, I decide to take my "cracked" DPF off to do a visual inspection and pressure wash it. First thing I noticed, was how little of the dry soot was actually in the DPF. I think I was expecting cups of the stuff to come pouring out. As for the dry stuff, maybe a tea spoon. I then pours water in from a garden hose on the exhaust side, thinking that it might be packed I there. Water poured out about as fast as I could dump it in from the garden hose. I got a bit more out but still nothing like I thought. A few minutes of running the hose around the surface of one side and the water was running clear out the other. I flipped over the DPF and repeat the process. Next I got the pressure washer out and started again from the exhaust side. Again, I got a bit more soot out. The big thing I noticed was the white surface of the ? ceramic filter ? at least I am assuming it was ceramic. Flipped it over and pressure washed the inlet side. And again could see a "not as white" but the cleaner face of the filter. At no time in this process did any of the squares look plugged on either end. Now that the surface of the filter was easier to see, I could see no visible cracks on both sides. If there is a crack in the filter media than it is internal and I can not see it. So I let the DPF drain and dry overnight. I then put it back on and tried one more time to clear my codes. No luck as of yet. Trying to find a place that will do it with out charging me.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Washed out the DPF and didnt find much of anything in it. Water flowed thru great, no clogs. Runs the same, same codes after a day of using it normally. Took it to the dealer They said it has a tune in it. I bought it from a dealer used so I guess that could happen. He reset the codes for me, overwrote the tune with the current computer code and looked everything over, didnt find any issues.

We drove home, roughly 90 miles, and the trucks smokes like mad with little to no power at 70mph about halfway home. No codes. By the time we get home it seems to be running well with no more smoke, but the exhaust has a diesel smell to it. Drove it normal for a couple of weeks, towed some farm equipment down the hwy at hwy speeds and its got all its power back with a little smoke only when hitting the throttle hard from a stop. Exhaust still smells a little like diesel. The CEL came on when the smoke stopped and power returned, but the key technique will not show any codes.

Frustrated, the DPF delete tuners are WAY to freakin expensive. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
P242f will prevent engine from going into REGEN, the only way I have been able to get to REGEN is to clear codes, drive until P1451 sets then perform regen. If P242f sets before you can force REGEN then DPF cannot be REGEN.
Diag for P242f
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P242f.pdf (10.9 KB, 1598 views)
Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM

P242f will show up using the key technique. It isnt showing up so I dont think its there. No codes show now even tho the CEL is on again. My fuel economy tanked from 18-20 down to 12- 13 under the same driving conditions and there is the light smell of diesel at the exhaust. Not sure what tune was in it but it was way better on the fuel economy.