3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

? on oil change

Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? on oil change

did an oil change yesterday put the oil in, ran the truck shut it down waited 5-10 min checked it and it was about half on the stick so i through another quart or so in in and it was right at the top. checked the truck today make sure every thing was good no leaks checked the oil and it was about a 1/2in above the full line so no its over full. should i drain it out or just leave it alone?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Drain out some. i always pour the amount it takes...like 11.38liters and the dipstick always reads below the low mark so i always add an extra quart, in the morning when i check the iol it always between the low and full mark. talked to a tech about it they said its safe to add oil just not to let it pass the full mark on the dipstick
Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 AM

I'd leave it alone. Since you've changed the oil, there's probably been a regeneration event of the DPF. The end result of this process is that a very small amount of fuel ends up in the crankcase for each event. If you were to drain the oil to the full mark, you would be causing the amount of fuel in the crankcase in the future to be of an even higher concentration, as with each event, more fuel is added. Makes sense? If you decide that you want to drain the excess just to fail safe, what you should do is drain it till it's below the full level, then top it off with new oil, thereby increasing the oil/fuel mixture in the crankcase. I've talked to more than one tech, and in each case they've said that these trucks can run with the level above the full mark on the dipstick with no ill effects. Again though, it's your truck so you should do whatever it is that makes you feel best.

I think that with the drain plug located in center of the bottom of the oil pan as it is, what happens in the vast majority of cases is that unless the truck is perfectly level, not all of the oil is drained out of the pan when we change our oil... another reason for so many owners experiencing an over-full condition. Just my .02....
Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgeram_dude
I'd leave it alone. Since you've changed the oil, there's probably been a regeneration event of the DPF.
No regen on a 5.9, unless he has not updated his sig.

Id drain just a little.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06dodgedrw
did an oil change yesterday put the oil in, ran the truck shut it down waited 5-10 min checked it and it was about half on the stick so i through another quart or so in in and it was right at the top. checked the truck today make sure every thing was good no leaks checked the oil and it was about a 1/2in above the full line so no its over full. should i drain it out or just leave it alone?
I takes a while for all of the oil to drain back to the oil pan. Just pour in 3 gallons(fill new oil filter before install) and don't worry about it. Don't waste time with quart bottles or checking the dipstick multiple times trying to get it right on the the full line.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by surfram
I takes a while for all of the oil to drain back to the oil pan. Just pour in 3 gallons(fill new oil filter before install) and don't worry about it. Don't waste time with quart bottles or checking the dipstick multiple times trying to get it right on the the full line.
Absolutely correct.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:25 PM

yeah i dont do the quarts i buy it buy it by the gallon so i should try to drain some? dont think it will be ok and burn off or any thing like that?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by surfram
Yep. I always drive mine 20 minutes,let it drain for 15,remove the filter and reverse the process. I fill the oil filter and the balance goes in the engine per Cummins instructions. I changed it @ 5,000 miles and Blackstone let it go to 6,500 next time so will do.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM

o and sorry for the confusion the truck is an 06 clicked and put in the wrong year range with the forum soory about that
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM

Oil is oil weather it be pints quarts or gallons! But if your going by size I got y'all beat! Hehehe. But yeah you should drain some .50" is alot past full in my opinion. Manual says Do not overfill or seriuos dmage can occur. But who knows.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 PM

Not sure how much extra it takes on these motors but too much oil can be VERY bad. If the crank is able to slap the oil it will cause it to foam making it nearly impossible for the pump to pick it up and distribute it to the motor properly. Drain it down to the correct level. Next time you fill it up just dump the 3 gallons in and let it sit, it will eventualy catch up.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM

I've found it can take 30 minutes before all of the oil drains back to the pan so if I want to check the oil level I let it sit over night if I want an accurate reading.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bansh-eman
Not sure how much extra it takes on these motors but too much oil can be VERY bad. If the crank is able to slap the oil it will cause it to foam making it nearly impossible for the pump to pick it up and distribute it to the motor properly. Drain it down to the correct level. Next time you fill it up just dump the 3 gallons in and let it sit, it will eventualy catch up.
i don't think you can make oil foam if you are using the right oil
Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM

For what it's worth, i've over filled mine atleast 1/2" over full on many occassions and never had a problem.

If it were MY truck, i wouldn't worry about it.

But that's just my oppinion.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
i don't think you can make oil foam if you are using the right oil
IT does not matter what oil you use, when the crank is spinning as fast as it is, if it continueously slaps the oil, it will foam. Some oils may foam less then others, but all of them will foam. There is no way around it, it's air being introduced into the fluid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ? on oil change