3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No more Cummins in '09?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A quick google will find lots of information on the "CONCEPT" that was at SEMA.

Toyota Tundra Diesel Dually Project Truck
"Road Warrior" exterior combined with luxury Interior
10/30/2007

Making a bold and adventurous statement about the contrasts between rugged "Road Warrior" performance and opulent luxury, a Toyota Tundra CrewMax diesel dually project truck made its debut at the 2007 SEMA Show.

At its core, the Tundra light duty pickup's stock engine was replaced with a medium duty diesel powerplant plucked from a 35,000-pound commercial truck. The 8.0-liter inline six-cylinder high-torque engine, made by Toyota affiliate Hino, is mated with an Eaton five-speed manual transmission and a Hino back end. Toyota Motorsports Technical Group heavily modified the Tundra to accommodate the beefed-up driveline.

A host of custom exterior treatments point to the off-the-charts muscle under the hood. Prominent examples include forged aluminum alloy 22.5-inch wheels custom made by Alcoa, a diamond plate-lined bed, a charcoal gray metallic flat paint finish and a fifth-wheel hitch rated at 24,000 pounds.

The muscular theme on the outside shifts dramatically to that of luxury on the inside with hand-sewn ginger leather seats, suede pillars and headliner and dual rear captain's chairs with individual DVD entertainment systems.

PARTNERS:

Engineering by Motorsports Technical Group
Interior by Fast Ed's Interiors
Paint by Focus on Cars
Wheels by Alcoa
Power steps and fuel door by Amp Research
Sound system by Kenwood
Sound installation by Beach Auto Sound
Lighting by PIAA
Exhaust by Magnaflow
5th wheel hitch by Reese

TOYOTA TUNDRA DIESEL DUALLY PROJECT TRUCK SPECIFICATIONS

SEMA CONCEPTS
CAB TYPE CrewMax, 6'5" Bed on lengthened frame
ENGINE Hino JO8E-TB Medium Duty 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel (intended for 35K lb truck)
DRIVETRAIN Eaton 5 speed manual transmission (medium duty application)
Hino Medium Duty rear end with Meritor Axles
Alcoa 22.5X9 Dually rear wheels and Floatation wheel fronts

EXTERIOR (Focus on Cars, Toyota Motorsports Technical Group)
Color Matte Charcoal Metallic
Trim (Theme) Satin Brushed Nickel
Grille Surround Brushed Metal
Bed Raw diamond plate lined
Wheels 22.5" Alcoa 10 hand hole forged alloy wheels
Tires Michelin Energy 295/60/22.5
Suspension Custom dual front struts with Bilstein dampers, Deaver spring pack in rear
Fascia Restyled front bumper insert
Diamond Plate Rear Bumper
Lighting PIAA P4000 Quattro cab lights, LED clearance lights on side and rear

INTERIOR (Fast Ed's Interiors)
Color Ginger soft touch leather with french stitching and perforated inserts
Dash Brished satin aluminum dash panel
Shift **** Ginger leather wrap
Steering Wheel Ginger leather wrap
Seats Rear bench seat converted to two power captain's chairs and console
Headliner Taupe ultrasuede
***** Satin Brushed Nickel HVAC *****
Door panels Fully leather wrapped in Ginger with french stitching and perforated inserts
Door Handles Satin Brushed Nickel
Door Sills Satin Brushed Nickel
Sound System Kenwood touch panel with full Kenwood sound system
Features Navigation, dual rear seat entertainment

EXTRAS
Reese Signature Series 24K hitch
AMP Research electrically retractable step boards
AMP research billet fuel filler door
Magnaflow 4.5" Polished stainless steel exhaust
Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice truck, in a rice burner sort of way.

I wouldn't ever buy one, but I do have 1000 posts now.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"I do have 1000 posts now."

No you don't. You have a thousand and one.
Here, have another cup of joe
Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 AM

We got the dies for the hoods of the 2009 Rams in our plant a month or 2 ago. The inner & outer hood is aluminum & doesn't seem to taper down in the nose as much. A friend that is a engineering supervisor said that the new hood doesn't go over the fenders, but between them. More like the 93 & older trucks. I haven't heard much about diesel 1500's other then we are going to make some. I was suprised that they redid to whole front clip of the Dakota but didn't add the 3.0 CRD to it. It seems to be a pretty big seller on the Grand Cherokees.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 AM

Last year when I was in Japan, I got told some things about toyota and diesel engines, it could be a an urban legend but I heard from it more than one person in the auto industry over there.
To begin with, in the Japan diesel market, Toyota is not number one, Nissan, Isuzu, mazda and Mitsubishi are are higher ranked for diesels than toyota.Toyota diesels are known for problems with cracked heads and head gaskets over there, especially in the lighter duty markets and the other makers have continually refined their diesel engines where as Toyota concentrated on gas engines and hybrids. They have all sorts of commuter vehicles, vans and light pickups with diesel over there that we do not have here.
During recent history, out of no where the the Japanese government comes up with a plan to ban light duty and passenger car diesels from the roads of urban centres to supposedly cut down particulate and smog in the cities, this could have been done with particulate filters as is common here.
But several people told me that Toyota was on a major push to become the worlds top automaker, its percentage of gasoline vehicles is much higher than diesel, so apparently it lobbied the Japanese government to ban all passenger and light duty diesels, knowing that the even though not all people would go and buy a Toyota , a large percentage would, based on its current gasoline market share... And it looks like it worked there for awhile, Toyota was ahead for a 1/4..
On guy I know there had a newer Mazda "bongo wagon", its a fully loaded full size family van, its a diesel and I think awd, with nice cushy seats, multi flip dvd's , seperate passenger climate controls etc, etc, really nice machine. Now its parked in his driveway, not able to drive it since its diesel.
He says Toyota is larger than government so Toyota governs government instead of other way around..
Toyota would have to some heavy R&D to make a decent diesel to compete with cummins, Toyota is Hino, and is also part holder of Fuji heavy industries which is Subaru. And as we know from the duramax, isuzu makes not bad diesel... If there was a Japanese diesel that I would buy , it would be a Nissan Diesel, they are the kings of diesel over there, way way before a toyota.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxt
, isuzu makes not bad diesel... If there was a Japanese diesel that I would buy , it would be a Nissan Diesel, they are the kings of diesel over there, way way before a toyota.
Agree with this part, in Australia I rode in a Range Rover Classic that had I believe a 3.8l v-6 isuzu. That was actually a sweet driving machine. Years ago, being an old Nissan Patrol owner, I got the opportunity to drive a diesel Patrol (I-4) down in South America. Not really peppy and kind of noisy, but enough torque to pull a bulldozer out of a bog and got close to 30 mpg.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM

I worked a Datsun/Nissan dealer 14 years.One day had a International Scout pull in and owner raised the hood and asked me if we had parts(filters)for this and pointed to a big Nissan inline 6 diesel that was factory in that truck.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Are you sure the Range Rover had an Isuzu diesel in it? I lived in South Africa not that long ago and had a brand new 2004 Land Rover Discovery. It had a 1.8L turbo diesel in it and an automatic transmission, both made by Land Rover.

It had some turbo lag on take off, but once you got it wound up it ran pretty good. It got close to 35 mpg on the highway and was great off road, and we went all over Africa in it. I'm amazed they don't offer that engine in Discovery's sold in the US, you can only get them with V-8 gassers.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:51 AM

From what my dealership told me that ford owns like 40% of Cummings, and after Dodges contract expires then they will not have any Cummings.. but i may be wrong... but that's what i heard it to be
Old 11-10-2007, 06:47 AM

Look what this page says on the bottom and this is off of cummins' website.
http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...=3&index=1#Q33
Old 11-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by srt_4-88
From what my dealership told me that ford owns like 40% of Cummings, and after Dodges contract expires then they will not have any Cummings.. but i may be wrong... but that's what i heard it to be
well, you're wrong.

Ford owns less than 5% of the Common Stock issued by Cummins... they are an investor, not an owner. Cummins is a publicly traded company....

Ford may very well own 40% of this Cummings company, then again, I've never heard of Cummings.... though there is a Cummings, Georgia.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:26 AM

big dave hit the nail on the head.... Ford did own a small percentage of Cummins in the early 90's..... It has since been bought out of Fords hands... It was never a controlling interest. Dodge and Cummins have a good marriage and I don't see it changing in the forseeable future. I just wish I had bought some stock in Cummins.... Has anybody else noticed that it has split again recently???
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 AM

Toyota has been putting diesels in their trucks for about 16 to 18 years. I drove one that was a 1990 model in Afghanistan in 2004.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Ford, Chevy, Dodge are way behind in diesel technology, its sad. The rest of the world mainly use diesel. The German government invested heavily in diesel technology in the 90's and turned over the info for free to only thier auto manufactures, who are now way ahead of us. I drove a Mercedes Benz diesel in Germany, mid-sized car that was putting out about 150 hp got me 43mph to the gallon at about 90 mph on the autobahn and the engine is about the size of a honda goldwing
Old 11-10-2007, 04:20 PM

We used to have two diesel toyotas an 81 and 83 both were 2wd farm trucks bought brand new. I don't remember what the engines were all i know is they were naturally aspirated and got about 40 mpg. They weren't real impressive power wise but they took a lot of abuse both trucks lasting over 300,000 miles and still running great when we sold them. The only time a wrench ever touched the motors was to add some new glow plugs. Towards the last 150K miles on both trucks the oil never got changed. We'd put a filter on there if we thought about it maybe every 20,000 miles or so, Fram filters at that, and add a quart of oil every now and then as needed. We used to get cards in the mail from some company that liked to buy up late 1970s early 1980s Toyota and Isuzu diesel pickups to export out to third world countries. They got them both for $1000. They pull the rusted beds off slap flats on and use them for taxi cabs.

Quick Reply: No more Cummins in '09?